Anybody onboard currently?

takemewithyou

Two days ago now, We tendered to Terre de Haute- one of the islands that make up Guadeloupe. It was gorgeous.   And quiet - at first.  Thing a close from

12 to 2pm according to all of the literature. We started rendering at 11:30 am after arriving a little early.   I got to the island at 1:30 and was immediately thoroughly charmed.  French looking - because that’s its influence. Most everything was still closed so the streets were quiet.   We walked away from others and found our way to the Catholic Church via some 

charming and quiet street.  Came upon Mr and Mrs tcg there.  I always like exploring a church. And it was good to get out of the hot sun.  We walked around some more finding our way to a sports area on the water and poked around there taking photos. Then backtracked a bit to walk over a ridge enjoying the houses along the way, passed an above ground cemetery and then came out on the other side to a gorgeous huge beach with not a lounge chair in site. Very wild. There was a small run way that ended or began right into the sand!   

we walked back and detoured up some white steps to the top of a hill where a cross stood over looking the  harbor where our ship was anchored.     We shared the island with the Royal Clipper. A 5 masted ship with 240 some guests.  Made quite a show when it departed and flew all of its sails. 

Back in the other side the stores were open -  they use Euros here-    

There was more to see for sure. The fort which is supposed to be a must see at the top of a hill closes at 12:30 so we couldn’t visit that. 

Very much enjoyed this port. 

the show this night was  the singers and dancers doing Wanderlust replacing Eric’s planned show since his voice wasn’t quite up to it.   I use the gym  in the afternoons to run.  It has been very clean and never crowded.  Also love the self laundry-  so far I have never had trouble finding a machine. All but one washer is in working order (currently) 

IMG_7178.jpeg

IMG_7141.jpeg

IMG_7132.jpeg

IMG_7198.jpeg

• Like 14

Thanks for this report.  I would recommend Royal Clipper or indeed the other two smaller sailing ships Star Flyer and Star Clipper  operated by Star Clippers.  A really fantastic experience.  We have only sailed in the Mediterranean with them but the sailaways accompanied by Vangelis and a glass of champagne can make grown men or indeed women, cry.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Thanks for this report.  I would recommend Royal Clipper or indeed the other two smaller sailing ships Star Flyer and Star Clipper  operated by Star Clippers.  A really fantastic experience.  We have only sailed in the Mediterranean with them but the sailaways accompanied by Vangelis and a glass of champagne can make grown men or indeed women, cry.  

Ah yes, Star Clipper and Vangelis and you are spot on there. Having done in the Far East...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/11/04/star-clipper-java-sea-limited-edition-cruise/

...and I still dream of Star Clipper returning to their Singapore?Thailand round trips. 

I started at 1 at a local restaurant celebrating with hats and wine and lobster. Came ba k and saw several people I know and off to glam out for dinner .lots of great dancing.the cast looked like go go girls with the boots and skirts. Very slick show but not fake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 29th was St Lucia which is a busy place.  Walked around the bay from the port and found the cathedral and walked around the streets.     

The last time I was here was in 2021 and due to covid restrictions, we could only get off the ship with a ships excursions. So we only saw St Lucia from on board and we were docked over where the containers are.  This time we were at port across the way. 

The cast did their disco show tonight. They are quite good this group. 

on the 30th we stopped at Mayreau in the grenadines. This is my favorite stop of all of them.  We tendered.  Population of 271. Just a Caribbean island.  No shops. No diamonds international. A few tshirts and colorful  wraps hung over ropes strung between trees. 

You walk up a steep hill with some

bars and very simple homes along side. At the top is a church and stunning views. Down the other side opens to another bay with bars fashioned out of whatever they could find, more shirts hung around, kids playing and locals around. Lots of catamarans  at anchorage and those folks come on to use the beach. Many wooden boats closer in.  We had a drink and the found some other Azamara guests  who got a boat ride around the island to get there.  The owner of the bar took us back in his yellow and green painted wooden boat. We saw a few sides of the island!  

there is a beach just off where we tendered with chairs for free and crystal clear warm water.     Lots of people took Adavantage of the beach and the nice water. 

this is what I like. Just a small place. The smallest inhabited island in the grenadines.    Captain Carl said that this was a new stop for him. As was for most.  

Astrid, the assistant cruise director did her show at 8:15 and Eric did his at 9:30.  Great fun.  Astrid is lovely and did songs in Portuguese, Papiamento, french, English, Spanish and Hindi!  Eric, of course ended it all in drag on online skates with the ABBA portion making use of the cast too.   Packed theatre. 

IMG_7315.jpeg

IMG_7324.jpeg

IMG_7340.jpeg

IMG_7348.jpeg

IMG_7366.jpeg

IMG_7380.jpeg

IMG_7399.jpeg

IMG_7464.jpeg

IMG_7426.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

We disembarked the Quest on December 30th in Rio De Janeiro and had an interesting experience at the hotel we booked post cruise through Azamara.  The hotel (JW Marriott) had not received payment for our stay. Therefore they reserved the equivalent of $1,500 US (for a one night stay 😳) on our credit card as security.  The next day when checking out I was told the payment from Azamara still had not come through, and as of this moment the credit card hold is still in place.  I am not too worried, but it is somewhat surprising since Azamara had our hotel payment for several weeks prior to our trip.

In addition, the hotel to airport transfer purchased from Azamara at $26.29 pp did not show up.  After waiting 20 minutes past the scheduled time we took a taxi to the airport.  Since I had an at length discussion with the Azamara Concierge (Marilyn) about the logistics of the hotel to airport transfer I sent her an email and copy of our taxi receipt for reimbursement, but have not received a reply.  BTW Guest Services on the ship kept telling me that the hotel would be the ones to ask about the hotel to airport transfer.  As I suspected the hotel knew nothing.

Minor inconveniences, but it’s the first time we have ever had issues.

• Thanks 2

Ouch. You are being very calm about it though doubt I would be! 
I would start the card dispute process now if it was me

Edited by uktog
  • Like 5

I never book hotels etc with cruiseline. Doubt I ever would.

we are at the last of the Cmas/ New Years cruise on Onward. I like this  cast compared to some. Food been good over all. The BOB dinner I had better. Still can  not figure out the soup.

looking forward to the start of WC and meeting old friends again. 

• Like 1

On onward/.  It’s 9:09 am and we are waiting to disembark. There has been some sort of hold up for a while

now.   The luggage was late coming off the ship because the fuel wagon was blocking the luggage exit door.  We watched all of the arm

waving and shouting as it was all worked out below from our balcony.     At 8;30 the all clear was made that people could disembark.    We were to be all off by 9am but the den is full and there is a long non moving  line along the starboard side by the windows.  

we are in no hurry fortunately with our flight at 1:25. 

The cruise has been lovely.  Always nice to visit with fellow passengers that we have met in the past and, of course, the crew is excellent.      The last show last night was the trumpet player from the orchestra doing a show.  An excellent show.  He could have done a matinee sometime for more of his repertoire. 

We could tell the  whole cruise that he was something special just hearing him as part of the orchestra,   He choked up after his opening piece telling us that this Concert was in honor of his newborn daughter born just the day before.  And showed a photo.  Adorable.  He is leaving today to get home to meet her in Venezuela.   She came a few days early.  

At lunch yesterday in the patio was Waffles and Gelateria set up. I wasn’t sure what that was. Waffles, with toppings and chocolate and or vanilla gelato as it turned out.  

I noticed that there were plastic spoon with the  soft serve frozen yogurt this cruise. In the past has been real spoons. And the pool bar serves drinks in plastic disposable cups (the azamazing 10 year anniversary recognition imprinted on them).  This is also different from the past where it was the non breakable but washable things.  I feel like there are less crew aboard.  I have no way of knowing if that is true. But no cleaners at the gangway  with sanitizer, no assistant waiter at the entrance to the buffet greeting and reminding to use the sanitizer, other signs.  Maybe there are fewer dishwashers so the disposable cups help?   Just an observation, not a complaint. 

The line is clearing now. 9:25.  Time to go. 

Edited by PAtravelbug
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

We have started our World Voyage on Onward. 195 of us are on for the full voyage and the first segment to Lima has a total of 530 guest. All our bags arrived including two we forwarded. Still have one to unpack. Busy day ahead with scheduled events and getting the cabin ready for long haul.

We are in our happy place.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We have started our World Voyage on Onward. 195 of us are on for the full voyage and the first segment to Lima has a total of 530 guest. All our bags arrived including two we forwarded. Still have one to unpack. Busy day ahead with scheduled events and getting the cabin ready for long haul.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Enjoy every moment. Having spoken to some of the senior officers on board with you, I know they and all the crew want this to be the best experience for you all.

Enjoy the surprises along the way, and I hope you can spare some time to update us on how it is going.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Outstanding!  Wishing you safe and happy travels and looking forward to your periodic updates of sites you see.  What fun!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Wishing you a wonderful trip. Sounds like it should be an amazing experience!

• Like 1

Onward arrived in Cozumel this morning and will be here until 10 PM then two sea days headed to Panama.

Tonight is Amazing Evening for this segment. All of Amazing Evenings are brand new on this cruise.

Food has been great, service wonderful.

Last night we had Captain Carls welcome. He’s the most excited person on ship as he’s been waiting for years to do a World. He’s also a hoot! After toast  we were treated to a great show from four tenors from UK.

Received 2 back packs with water canister and umbrella inside all with World Cruise logos

Life is good on beautiful Onward.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Onward arrived in Cozumel this morning and will be here until 10 PM then two sea days headed to Panama.

Tonight is Amazing Evening for this segment. All of Amazing Evenings are brand new on this cruise.

Food has been great, service wonderful.

Last night we had Captain Carls welcome. He’s the most excited person on ship as he’s been waiting for years to do a World. He’s also a hoot! After toast  we were treated to a great show from four tenors from UK.

Received 2 back packs with water canister and umbrella inside all with World Cruise logos

Life is good on beautiful Onward.

Great to hear from you!  Enjoy the World cruise!  Keep those reports coming as you are able.  

• Like 2

Wow! What an AzAmazing Evening in Cozumel. Two years in the planning. Samplings of local culinary treats and a dramatic production of musicians, airelist, and decorated and performers. Captain Karl and Eric set the tone. Variety of beverages offered and they were top shelf aka Don Julio and waiters actively replenished. Upon return the band was playing and more cocktails. First of two sea days as we sail to Panama.

All full voyagers having lunch today with Lee and tonight large Mexican Buffet pool side. 
Lot going on with quality lecturers, cast shows etc.

Life is outstanding on Azamara Onward.

image.thumb.jpeg.b4057318105cf63268c3d512a7c2ded6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5474b0556a7a474a0cf404eae608bf6e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.08257fe79287c361a89e4afe92b0f07e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a7ff25d9d67bf613a280c77d51a15420.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.45253d46da53ab1696d6f6bf0050f505.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.52d93b4f2aa59c9f7b69bf3aeea7d266.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Is the Mexican buffet available for everyone or just those on the World Cruise? 

Everyone goes to buffet.We just attended a wonderful guest lecturer famed BBC Animal Presenter  Nigel Marvin.

Who shared some of his TV episodes. Lecturers have been great.

Nigel Marvin has been on a few times. An interesting presenter - some say like Marmite, love him or not. I’m ok with him though some of his tv series there’s a bit of an ego
Thanks for clarifying the buffet was for all. It’s an important balance that has to be struck! 

Guest Cooper2020
On 1/6/2024 at 12:17 PM, aliaschief said:

I am sure you will enjoy the World Cruise.  On New Years Eve I saw your ship docked next to ours  (Regent Mariner) and could see the White Nights set up on deck as we left port . It looked splendid - I so wanted to be back there, I love Azamara.   Counting the days until I join Onward in March for 35 nights. Hong Kong to Dubai.  Enjoy your happy place and have a most fabulous time.