Carnival returning to Key West???

cruising mickey

Let's turn this question around to reflect the local government's attitude towards cruise ships:

Has anyone heard if Key West is planning to allow cruise lines to return to stop at Key West in the foreseeable future?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Excellent article crewsweeper. Thanks for posting! 👍

There's a follow up article dated a week later:

https://keysweekly.com/42/cruise-ship-compromise-offers-were-made-in-2020-why-are-sides-willing-to-listen-now/

What I can glean from both articles is that several parties desire to talk about it, but talks haven't begun in earnest to settle the issue. Soooo......I guess for the foreseeable future, Key West is still out of the cruise scene. :classic_unsure: 

• Like 1

As with most political issues (because this is one), the pendulum eventually swings the other way. There is no unanimous agreement that Key West hates cruising. The local businesses and workers depend on having steady streams of guests. I can't imagine COVID hasn't made their lives hard. Whereas people not reliant on that industry want no part in cruising due to some of chaos it brings. Never say never.

24 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We are booked on the Dream in April to visit KW.  Time will tell whether we actually visit the port.  It hasbeen a long time since we visited KW on a ship but have been there on several land trips. 

January cruise includes Caymans, April, September and November cruises include Key West. Wonder where we'll really be going? And when we'll know? I love a good mystery!😁

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

As with most political issues (because this is one), the pendulum eventually swings the other way. There is no unanimous agreement that Key West hates cruising. The local businesses and workers depend on having steady streams of guests. I can't imagine COVID hasn't made their lives hard. Whereas people not reliant on that industry want no part in cruising due to some of chaos it brings. Never say never.

Many of the employees who benefit from cruise ship tourists don't live in Key West so they didn't get a vote.  

47 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Many of the employees who benefit from cruise ship tourists don't live in Key West so they didn't get a vote.  

The group responsible for the opposition to cruise ships hides their funding behind a charitable organization.

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

The group responsible for the opposition to cruise ships hides their funding behind a charitable organization.

That is true for many social issues.  What the average person doesn't realize is these "charitable" organizations are big businesses with big buck executives pocketing large salaries while handing out tax exemptions for "donations"

• Like 2