ZGSCL Live from the Koningsdam: November 14th 7 day Mexican Rivera

zgscl

We got off the ship this morning - disembarkation was very easy.

We enjoyed having an aft wrap around Neptune Suite except for one night approaching San Francisco when it was quite rough and noisy. Being able to eat in Club Orange was such a nice surprise. The hostess Kasama was so friendly, as were the wait staff especially Arif.

The meals in Pinnacle (great service from Jim from S. Africa) and Canaletto did not disappoint. We dined in Tamarind the day we overnighted in San Francisco and the views were spectacular from the bar and restaurant. This was our first time and we loved it! The only disappointment dining wise was Rudy’s. We didn’t get seated for at least a half an hour after our reservation time. Service for a specialty restaurant was lacking and the food was over cooked in one case and under cooked in another. On a previous cruise it had been a highlight and we were so looking forward to eating there again. To add insult to injury they acknowledged we had prepaid but then there was a charge on our statement. Thankfully it was easily remedied with a visit to guest services. This was our only problem with the statement.

Our favorite entertainment was B B Kings with the Rock Room a close second. The Neil Diamond Tribute was okay and the dance show was innovative but I’m not sure how often I would go see it.

We liked the Ocean Bar for pre-dinner drinks and met some very nice people there.

i hope you all enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, 78232 said:

We had a lido cabana several years ago and loved it.  At one point there was a lot of negative things said about the cabanas in the retreat...in poor repair, too windy and cold etc.  I hope that is not an accurate picture of the retreat at this time.

Marcia

I will post more on them tomorrow but the retreat was lovely this afternoon. I did not spend a ton of time there today but so far so good. Cabana seemed to be in good order. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Good question!  When HAL introduced the Star program, we were 4 star and when the 5 star level came along we were 5 star.  The problems started right at the beginning of these introductions. 50% discount - what?  Then, 2 complimentary dinners - maybe 50% discount?  Having to tell them what they should know and not be believed is a bore, some would say insulting.  I am really eager to get on board, but reading these posts about the problems with charges is quite off-putting.

You will have to stop feeding your phone syrup 🙂  Enjoy your cruise and your 3 star rewards (without a fight!)

I just refuse to believe there are so few 5 star mariners that no one knows. How hard is it to make a cheat sheet on the benefits if that is what it takes. 

I am going to try. I think tomorrow I will feed it bread pudding and see if it likes that better. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, 78232 said:

I am especially interested in your thoughts about the cabana and retreat.  We have it booked for a cruise next year.  There is not a lot written about this area of the ship.

Thanks

Marcia

So far so good but will share more as the trip progresses. It was nice to have lunch from Dive In served up there with no crowd. Side facing cabana is nice for the view. The aft facing ones mostly look over the retractable roof to the lido whether it is open or closed. I do not understand why they added a gigantic green bunny for decoration. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cccole said:

zgscl - I can't tell you how much fun it is following you on this adventure!!!!  I would much prefer the Mexican Riviera to the California coast this time of year.  Did you choose your cabana because of location, or were you assigned this cabana.  Sounds like heaven to me!!!  Thank you for letting us cruise with you,  Cherie

When you call to book they tell you what is open and it is assigned on a first come first served basis. The people answering the call have never actually seen them so they can't really give you advice but you can look at the map of them to decide. I think the side facing are preferable at least fro a view standpoint but will let you know after I have been in them a couple days. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, westcoastsue said:

We got off the ship this morning - disembarkation was very easy.

We enjoyed having an aft wrap around Neptune Suite except for one night approaching San Francisco when it was quite rough and noisy. Being able to eat in Club Orange was such a nice surprise. The hostess Kasama was so friendly, as were the wait staff especially Arif.

The meals in Pinnacle (great service from Jim from S. Africa) and Canaletto did not disappoint. We dined in Tamarind the day we overnighted in San Francisco and the views were spectacular from the bar and restaurant. This was our first time and we loved it! The only disappointment dining wise was Rudy’s. We didn’t get seated for at least a half an hour after our reservation time. Service for a specialty restaurant was lacking and the food was over cooked in one case and under cooked in another. On a previous cruise it had been a highlight and we were so looking forward to eating there again. To add insult to injury they acknowledged we had prepaid but then there was a charge on our statement. Thankfully it was easily remedied with a visit to guest services. This was our only problem with the statement.

Our favorite entertainment was B B Kings with the Rock Room a close second. The Neil Diamond Tribute was okay and the dance show was innovative but I’m not sure how often I would go see it.

We liked the Ocean Bar for pre-dinner drinks and met some very nice people there.

i hope you all enjoy your cruise as much as we did!

Thanks for sharing! Glad you had a nice cruise! What deck Neptune did you have? I will be trying Sel de Mer later this trip. Fingers crossed they get it together. My Caneletto dinner credited correctly and was prepaid. Music walk has been fantastic. The Billboard Onboard, Rolling Stones Rock Room & BB Kings groups were all great. There were a couple sets I had a hard time choosing. I'm not a fan of Step One Dance Company shows. I may go to one show this trip to see how the theater is. Apparently in two shows there is a live singer from one of the venues that comes and sings 2 songs out of the 45 minute show. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, zgscl said:

I'm not a fan of Step One Dance Company shows. I may go to one show this trip to see how the theater is. Apparently in two shows there is a live singer from one of the venues that comes and sings 2 songs out of the 45 minute show

Sort of correct...

In one show, the two piano players from Billboard Onboard are on stage and play/sing #1 hits for most of the show, while the dancers do their thing around and on top of the pianos.  Near the end, there is also a woman from the BB King Lounge which does a "duet" singalong to a Whitney Houston song.  If the theater is crowded, be aware that there are also a couple of rows of seating *on the stage* behind the pianos which many passengers are unaware/hesitant to sit in.

During a different show, a gentleman from the BB King Lounge comes out and sings a couple of songs while the dancers do their routines.

Edited by mark71mark
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

I have used these for several years and have also gifted some to my friends who cruise.  They protect the tags from tearing and they are waterproof!  Only about $1 each!!

AmazonSmile | Cruise Luggage Tags Etag Holders Zip Seal & Steel Loops Thick PVC (8 Pack - Clear) | Luggage Tags

Thanks for sharing the link .These are the ones that we have and photographed . The video that we put up are a different brand .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zgscl said:

I just refuse to believe there are so few 5 star mariners that no one knows. How hard is it to make a cheat sheet on the benefits if that is what it takes. 

I am going to try. I think tomorrow I will feed it bread pudding and see if it likes that better. 

It’s true.  I can’t believe I’m going to say this but Canaletto is really getting to be my favorite specialty restaurant.  I wanted to switch my pinnacle freebie for a Canaletto and was told unfortunately you can’t do that.  It’s right in Hal’s information for 5 stars that you can have pinnacle, tamarind or Canaletto!  I will be armed with that information.

Something really strange happened yesterday.  No errors on my account.  I hope I’m not jinxing it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, zgscl said:

When you call to book they tell you what is open and it is assigned on a first come first served basis. The people answering the call have never actually seen them so they can't really give you advice but you can look at the map of them to decide. I think the side facing are preferable at least fro a view standpoint but will let you know after I have been in them a couple days. 

I want to add a bit to this.  On the other non pinnacle the cabanas are not so plexiglassed in and you get more air flow with the ones facing the pool. I always go for those ones on non pinnacle ships.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zgscl said:

So far so good but will share more as the trip progresses. It was nice to have lunch from Dive In served up there with no crowd. Side facing cabana is nice for the view. The aft facing ones mostly look over the retractable roof to the lido whether it is open or closed. I do not understand why they added a gigantic green bunny for decoration. 

I’ve heard the green bunny was to be for club hal kids club but it didn’t fit so why not put it in the retreat 😛.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zgscl said:

There are lots of 5 stars and this level has been around for quite a while.  I do think if HAL can program the cards to give the appropriate discount at the Explorations Cafe, which they did successfully from the start of the Star program, they should be able to do the same for the Pinnacle, Canaletto, Tamarind, Sel, Wine Packages, anything that gives a discount.  It is beyond me why, after so many years of this program, they continue to show so little interest in presenting professional accounting.

Your cell phone:  bread pudding should be well accepted, but a lot of extra sauce will be required:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, zgscl said:

So my sister in law could have fun on him!

L.

15.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

There are lots of 5 stars and this level has been around for quite a while.  I do think if HAL can program the cards to give the appropriate discount at the Explorations Cafe, which they did successfully from the start of the Star program, they should be able to do the same for the Pinnacle, Canaletto, Tamarind, Sel, Wine Packages, anything that gives a discount.  It is beyond me why, after so many years of this program, they continue to show so little interest in presenting professional accounting.

I agree. On the NA this summer, my discounts on prepaid dinners were never resolved on the ship. I had to email the Mariner Society when I got home in order to receive the refunds on my credit card.

That experience makes me not want to prepay specialty dinners but then I run the risk of not being able to get the days and times I want.

I will be on the Koningsdam in February so I hope this ship has the issues resolved by then.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

I agree. On the NA this summer, my discounts on prepaid dinners were never resolved on the ship. I had to email the Mariner Society when I got home in order to receive the refunds on my credit card.

That experience makes me not want to prepay specialty dinners but then I run the risk of not being able to get the days and times I want.

I will be on the Koningsdam in February so I hope this ship has the issues resolved by then.

That is stupid that they couldn't resolve it.  I don't like booking too much ahead because of the exchange.  All the specialty dining has been very booked up these 2 cruises.  Likely because of have it all.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That is stupid that they couldn't resolve it.  I don't like booking too much ahead because of the exchange.  All the specialty dining has been very booked up these 2 cruises.  Likely because of have it all.

We won’t usually book ahead either because of the exchange rate.  We take our chances but Mr Bear doesn’t care if he dines in any of the specialty restaurants so it’s no big deal.   

Regarding the turn down service and chocolates-could a form be put in the cabins the choice of you want twice a day turn down and chocolates?  Cabin steward on the first night or next morning can then make note of it.  I know we are always asked the first day about any special requests and they make note. Not sure if that’s just in Neptune suites or all cabins?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s true.  I can’t believe I’m going to say this but Canaletto is really getting to be my favorite specialty restaurant.  I wanted to switch my pinnacle freebie for a Canaletto and was told unfortunately you can’t do that.  It’s right in Hal’s information for 5 stars that you can have pinnacle, tamarind or Canaletto!  I will be armed with that information.

Something really strange happened yesterday.  No errors on my account.  I hope I’m not jinxing it.

I agree! Though the crab risotto I had last night was not nearly as good as on Nieuw Amsterdam, way too much tomato which overpowered everything else. 

I think I am having your billing troubles for yesterday. I was charged $11.16 at Canaletto. Number doesn't make sense, I should have had a $12 (less discount) for the risotto, but should have gotten a credit as I prepaid full price online so the discount in theory should have credited. I will have to pay a visit to the Neptune Lounge and see if they can get it straightened out. 

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Your cell phone:  bread pudding should be well accepted, but a lot of extra sauce will be required:)

I will make sure to ask for that before dropping my phone in. I wouldn't want it to go on a hunger strike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I want to add a bit to this.  On the other non pinnacle the cabanas are not so plexiglassed in and you get more air flow with the ones facing the pool. I always go for those ones on non pinnacle ships.

Thanks, that is good to know! 

• Like 2

Well, I got so busy between the cruise and the cell phone saga I got behind on my live posts! Let me see if I can catch up. 

One very important note when booking the Sheraton. There are two towers. The Marina tower is where all the amenities, restaurants, etc. are. There is a separate building - the Bay tower which has views of the harbor. It is half a mile away and is a very good trek to get to everything. They may have their own breakfast restaurant but other than that not much is over there. Some of the folks booked by HAL were put there by the hotel which apparently caused some issues for folks with mobility issues who had to walk back and forth the half mile to the other building to meet the HAL rep and get on the bus which leaves from the Marina tower. The HAL rep apologized to everyone and said she would bubble it up as that has never happened before, everyone was always in the Marina tower in all the times she had done this and in fact she didn't even know there was another tower until this came up on this trip. If you book this hotel independently pay very close attention to which tower you are in! 

The hotel offered breakfast, either a buffet or a la carte. I went with the French toast which was good, but you all know how that went! 

IMG_1744.thumb.jpeg.48308a580ff2d8a117c73cbcc8a1db85.jpeg

IMG_1743.thumb.jpeg.beed57a743a9702950bbfcaf3f694109.jpeg

We were told to have luggage tagged and inside our hotel room by the door by 9 AM. On my way back to the room at 9:30 I passed the bellman and saw all three of my suitcases on the cart. There were at least two bus departure times going over to the pier. I was on the first bus at 11 and went out around 10:45 where a large group that looked very much like HAL cruisers were gathered. They loaded the luggage on the bus and one bag was missing a luggage tag. They came around asking whose it was as they cannot transport any luggage to the pier without a tag. Once they figured out whose it was we were off. It is a very short ride over to the pier, and I recommend sitting on the right side of the bus for the best views. 

IMG_1747.thumb.jpeg.f674e6252ccb659459d7607db8ff4c0c.jpeg

Embarkation

We made it to the pier by 11:15 and were ushered into the building. The folks on the bus were the only ones going through. I did not notice a priority line at this stage just a single line to get to the health screening. At the front we talked to someone who scanned our boarding pass, checked proof of vaccination and covid test as well as confirmed the test was within 2 days. They then sent us to security screening which was a very short line. After the security check we went to the check in area where there was a separate line for priority (and I think a separate line for disabled travelers). At the front were the kiosks and off to the side were a bunch of check in desks. The kiosks were operated by a staff person, we did not have to operate them ourselves. I did the kiosk which took my photo, scanned my boarding pass and took a picture of my passport. Because I was in group A I was able to board the ship immediately and got onboard at 11:45. I believe folks in other groups had to wait in the large room, and there were a number of sins for different boarding groups. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Cabin 

I am staying in Aft-wrap Neptune Suite 7188. The entry way is set up so that you can close off a door and then make 7188 & 7190 connecting rooms. This is really nice as there is no connecting door in-between, but you could shut the outer door and then open both of the inner doors. The room is beautiful, and I love that it has both aft and side view windows. The footprint does seem smaller than on Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam and there is no dressing room. The living space of the cabin is great though and well organized. The deck is fantastic and huge. They have replaced the full couch with a day bed which is comfortable to sit on. 

If you are booking an aft wrap be sure to check HAL Facts and CC for information. There is a lot of difference in layout on each deck. Deck 6 seems particularly odd with the TV not across from the bed. Deck 4 has an enormous balcony. Also, anyone booking verandah on deck 4 should know that your entire verandah is basically visible from above (4148/4169 and aft). If shade and privacy are a concern I would avoid deck 4. The balconies are larger, however so that is a tradeoff. 

Also under the minibar there is a floor light. I spent about 10 minutes trying all the switches trying to turn it off last night. As it turns out it is motion activated so once you get in bed it will turn off in a minute or two . 

7F8E328F-5DFB-4EE6-B40B-A6396E811FFD_1_105_c.jpeg

075D3E7B-1CB1-4B89-A05F-6119998AB333_1_105_c.jpeg

24750494-1A3F-4333-B702-9FA83EEC88A9_1_105_c.jpeg

228F077F-C89C-4822-BF8D-4100710E8959_1_105_c.jpeg

869DEA56-BB3A-4C0B-BF83-19E5DD286881_1_105_c.jpeg

E6CEFC40-1365-47CA-80C0-C955E0C93F11_1_105_c.jpeg

D23B6945-871A-4485-8D82-EAF8F7728693_1_105_c.jpeg

A01CC6B7-4C54-446B-9036-3C9B5B21EAC7_1_105_c.jpeg

3D309887-964C-4CBC-B7CA-DCA1AAD98C66_1_105_c.jpeg

B39B60ED-A5B1-4A34-8A0F-CCB458D58E46_1_105_c.jpeg

2D03AED5-E850-487C-8B28-9014CD3B6A7A_1_105_c.jpeg

89042193-5478-4611-8770-DC6E51E582DD_1_105_c.jpeg

7DE3FB4F-033B-4186-9A9D-84290C14B8AD_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, zgscl said:

think I am having your billing troubles for yesterday. I was charged $11.16 at Canaletto.

Good news this is correct for the crab risotto with the service charge and mariner discount applied. Bad news the mariner discount on prepaid specialty dining has not appeared. I’ll chat with the concierge at some point and see what they say. 

I would hate to have to wait until 

onboard to book specialty dining as it gets so full with HIA I would rather have the options I want and then fight for the discount later. I suppose I can always write to Mariner society after the cruise if they can’t figure it out onboard. We w

• Like 3