No "free" choice for dinner on Anthem?

We are sailing on Anthem on January 31st.  From what I have seen, it looks like the only complimentary venue that will be open for dinner is the MDR - unless we want to eat sandwiches or pizza.  The RCL website says that the Windjammer is only open for lunch and dinner and Solarium Bistro is not open at all.  I find this very distressing as we have eaten dinner in the Windjammer many evenings on prior cruises.  Anyone who has been a passenger recently, is this truly the case?  Unfortunately, I have the palate of a 5-year-old and can't always find something in the MDR that I want to eat.

• Like 1

I wouldn't stress now over whether the Windjammer will or will not be opened.  You have 2.5 months before your cruise and it could change next week.

Currently on Allure and the WJ is now open for dinner. Was told the  change was made last cruise.

Hope you're looking forward to a nice time on Anthem in Jan. Enjoy!

• Like 1

My wife too has a very limited palate. Loves basic foods. Mild seasoning. I like to use the term, general basic food. We talk to the head waiter in the MDR the first night, let them know her likes and dislikes and they tailor the menu to fit her desires likes and wants. They are quite accommodating. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, cruisincuzz said:

We are sailing on Anthem on January 31st.  From what I have seen, it looks like the only complimentary venue that will be open for dinner is the MDR - unless we want to eat sandwiches or pizza.  The RCL website says that the Windjammer is only open for lunch and dinner and Solarium Bistro is not open at all.  I find this very distressing as we have eaten dinner in the Windjammer many evenings on prior cruises.  Anyone who has been a passenger recently, is this truly the case?  Unfortunately, I have the palate of a 5-year-old and can't always find something in the MDR that I want to eat.

WJ is open for dinner now.  As far as the MDR goes, if you have the palate of a 5 yr old, order off the kids menu.  You will not be the only one doing it.  If what you want is not on the kids menu, just tell them what you want and they will accommodate you.

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, binro01 said:

My wife too has a very limited palate. Loves basic foods. Mild seasoning. I like to use the term, general basic food. We talk to the head waiter in the MDR the first night, let them know her likes and dislikes and they tailor the menu to fit her desires likes and wants. They are quite accommodating. 

she is in luck. The updated menu for our HOTS sailing next week is just that. Plain. Mild. Uninspiring. General. Basic.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

she is in luck. The updated menu for our HOTS sailing next week is just that. Plain. Mild. Uninspiring. General. Basic.

I still have the TA menu listed for my HOTS cruise in March.  Has yours gone back to the fleet wide one?

1 hour ago, poocher said:

I still have the TA menu listed for my HOTS cruise in March.  Has yours gone back to the fleet wide one?

the 2022 May Allure menu is still the same we had in 2019. But our HOTS menu for Thanksgiving changed about a week ago to something reminiscent of Applebee's.

Chicken Schnitzel. Cheese tortellini. BBQ ribs. At least the ribs replaced fried chicken... Pork shank replaced lamb. No more coconut or Tiger shrimp...

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

And I think that is the Transatlantic menu.  I would love it to remain as I think it has more variety.  But I think it will revert to the previous one soon.  Not a foodie and we also have access to CK.  I can always find something to eat.  I like schnitzel and tortellini.  Also would love the short ribs & gnocchi.

Edited by poocher

21 hours ago, cruisincuzz said:

Thank you all!  Great answers and my mind is at ease.  Since we have never sailed with children, I never even thought of the kid's menu.  Great idea!

On my first cruise (on Carnival), my 11 year old son was handed a paper children's menu rather than the big fancy adult menus. He was mortified as they were two other families with boys at our table, and the 13 year olds were handed adult menus.  Plus he liked a wide variety of foods and was looking forward to trying different things.  

A quiet word to the waiter and he was upgraded to the bigger menu, and was thrilled.

As far as the MDR goes, they always have baked chicken, a plain steak, a chopped salad, chicken noodle soup etc so you can't go wrong with that.  Often I order several appetizers (or multiples of one appetizer) if I don't find anything in the entrees that catch my eye.  You're not hidebound to the main offerings on the evening's menus. Order from the children's menu or from the everyday plainer fare that's often listed at the bottom of the menu.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cruisincuzz said:

• Like 1

You can also modify the MDR menu a bit -- I often get things without the sauce, or with a different veggie than the one that is "supposed" to come with it.  If you want plain noodles with butter and parmesan cheese, they can do that.  Or french fries instead of a baked potato.  

Just ask -- if it's in their power, they'll make it happen for you.