What foam mattress pads are people buying?

jkx

Since I am reading that RCL beds are very firm, I am thinking about getting foam pad to pack in our suitcase. I looked into sleeping bags but I don't think they are for me. 
Which products have you guys used that you can successfully pack into your suitcases?

• Like 1

I worked for a company that makes foam pads.  I would not suggest purchasing one for your trip. You would need one to be at least 2" thick, and they don't pack well,. even if you get  the air sucked out , the bulk weight is still there.   They are big, and take up  a very large amount of cubic space for traveling ..  I would suggest, as someone suggested, to ask your cabin Steward for a topper ( or 2) to use on top of the bed for your comfort. .   

Edited by Missymo
  • Like 3

The problem I've encountered in recent years is that they don't offer foam or egg crate toppers any more.  (I think it's a sanitizing issue with the foam toppers.)  They just put more comforters on the bed under your sheets.  The comforters are heavy cotton and help a little, but not nearly as much as the foam or egg crate toppers...esp if you have arthritic hips and back.  I would be tempted to buy one if I were driving to the embarkation port, but not if it had to go into checked luggage on a plane.

I buy a twin memory foam 1 1/2 inch topper from Target ,take it out of the box and put it in a bag and it goes in the overhead. If I fly in early I try and buy it there. 
I always leave it behind for my cabin stew and they are always happy to take it for themselves.

The bags from Marshals, Home Goods or TJ Max that they sell up by the registers for a buck work great. The topper is rolled up so it fits fine. I’ve only bought a twin so not sure about anything bigger.

I need a soft bed so it’s a priority for me. Might cost me $50.00 but I don’t care ….I want to sleep well.

Edited by Midwestgal
  • Like 3

I purchased these from Bed Bath & Beyond....collapsed them in Spacesaver vacuum bags and took them to FL with us in  our luggage 2 weeks ago and they were great!. Hoping they will be enough to offset the hard ship beds. Need joint cushioning!  Simply Essential™ 1.5-Inch 5-Zone Foam Mattress Topper in Neutral | Bed Bath & Beyond (bedbathandbeyond.com)

We were on a B2B on Serenade of The Seas in September, the first couple of nights the bed was very uncomfortable, then we asked our stateroom attendant for a mattress topper and that night it was on our bed, what a difference, made the bed much more comfortable.

A couple of years ago we went to Walmart when we arrived in Florida and bought a mattress topper because we had heard the beds we very hard on Symphony of The Seas, it worked for us, and we just left it behind at the end of the cruise. I also take a king size fitted sheet with us so it keeps the sheets all tucked in, I find the flat sheets that are used always come untucked because I tend to move around a lot when I am sleeping.

I also will take a new shower liner with us on the ships that have a shower curtain, not a door, I want to know that I have a new curtain touching me...just in case 😉

On a recent TA, I bought a cheap twin foam topper at Walmart for $9.95 and just left it on the ship. It was heaven compared to sleeping on the hard beds. My wife is fine on the hard beds so she didn’t use one. 
For normal (7day) cruises, I bring a Klymit air pad which is only about the size of a mayonnaise jar when deflated and packs nicely. Do a search for Klymit sleep pad on Amazon. 

Edited by HicksRA

Yep I bought this on sale for $30 I am taking just the way it is with a luggage sticker on it. I live close to port. My husband can not do symphony’s beds for a week without it. I just leave it on ship when I get off. It’s a king

image.jpg

• Haha 1

The mattresses tend to be firm, but being on a ship lulls us to sleep, not to mention we are usually very tired at the end of the day.  The hassle of carrying a mattress topper just isn't worth it.   I sleep on a sleep number bed at around "40-45" which is soft, but I find the ship beds completely easy to sleep on.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BND said:

The mattresses tend to be firm, but being on a ship lulls us to sleep, not to mention we are usually very tired at the end of the day.  The hassle of carrying a mattress topper just isn't worth it.   I sleep on a sleep number bed at around "40-45" which is soft, but I find the ship beds completely easy to sleep on.  

I am good with the mattress on ship too but not my husband. He suffers such back and neck problems from chasing criminals the last 25 years. Lol. If I want to have a happy husband for a week I have to bring one. It’s quit easy though. 

1 hour ago, HicksRA said:

On a recent TA, I bought a cheap twin foam topper at Walmart for $9.95 and just left it on the ship. It was heaven compared to sleeping on the hard beds. My wife is fine on the hard beds so she didn’t use one. 
For normal (7day) cruises, I bring a Klymit air pad which is only about the size of a mayonnaise jar when deflated and packs nicely. Do a search for Klymit sleep pad on Amazon. 

I bought one and it was so uncomfortable. The Klymit was not cheap either and the reviews were good yet it was aweful. Would not recommend it. 

14 hours ago, jkx said:

Since I am reading that RCL beds are very firm, I am thinking about getting foam pad to pack in our suitcase. I looked into sleeping bags but I don't think they are for me. 
Which products have you guys used that you can successfully pack into your suitcases?

I bought and brought thin air mattresses. Now - after four RCL cruises - I've never used them.