Upgrade to Princess Plus?

Micklest

10 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Plus is not so much a "package" as it is a separate fare code and normally would require a re-fare ... and whatever penalty if close to sailing.

While the fare difference normally may be $40pp/day, Princess can price it any way they desire.

This is not the same as, for instance, booking a specialty dinner pre-cruise.

If there is a lesson here, it is to book what you want from the get go.

There was no problem adding the Plus for us...no reface necessary.

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

What cruise / date are you looking at ? As has been stated, to change to Plus you would need to cancel existing booking and re-book at Plus fare. The fares might have increased since your initial booking, so you might be comparing the new Plus price with old Saver price. Check current Saver and Plus price.

nope.

4 hours ago, geoherb said:

I tracked the prices of 14 December cruises this fall. The lowest cost per day for Princess Plus was $22.22. The highest was $125. I was looking at solo cabins. Once the single supplement came down, the price with Princess Plus stayed the nearly same. A Princess rep explained to me in August that Drop & Go fares don't qualify for the reduced rate.

The cost to add Princess Plus to my upcoming cruise (CB, Dec. 5) when I booked was $652 ($93.14 per day). People booking today would pay $772 more ($110.29 per day). The cost of Princess Plus went up and the price of the cruise dropped. Princess is offering dinner in a specialty restaurant now. My cruise came with $50 OBC. 

Wow!  That is not our experience at all.  I purchased with a promotional rate for our cruise and PP was not offered when we purchased.  Also, I had to pay the total amt. due for the  cruise since we were in final payment phase.  Later, I decided to "chat" with Princess and asked about the $40/pp/day Princess Plus and whether it could be added.  Took a little bit but they did indeed add it to our cruise.
I'm happy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, suzyed said:

It's worth it, I think, if you enjoy specialty coffees which are included, frappes, fountain soda, bottled water in addition to the booze!

If I drank $140 dollars of coffee in a day an ambulance would be needed 🙂  We (DW and I) are Elite with Princess.  Without a drink package we simply trade in our free mini-bar benefit for 2 coffee cards (no longer a real card) which gets me an awful lot of free coffee drinks.  DW is a tea drinker and since she can find no reason to pay for tea at the IC she usually carries some tea bags (which she can pick up  free in the Lido).  At the IC she will simply ask for a pot of hot water (which is free) and puts in the tea bags :).

As to fountain sodas, both DW and I only drink Diet Soda and Diet Coke is usually the only option.  A few years ago DW started bringing single serving Crystal Light packs.  When she wants a soft drink it is usually iced tea and she has her crystal light (which is a lot better tasting then the free ice tea in the Lido).    As to bottled water I bring a bottle and simply fill it :).  Then I have bottled water.  I am still amazed that folks will pay more for water then gasoline!  Turn on the tap!   I understand that water is a big "fad" but it is ridiculous what folks pay for bottled water.  We live in Mexico (part of the year) where everyone drinks bottled water.  I get large bottles (about 5 gallons) delivered to my condo for about $2.50!  And it is truly purified bottled water.  I can go to any corner store (or bar) and buy a large bottle of bottled water for less than $1.  Go figure. 

So Nestles, Coke and others bottle water using regular city water run through charcoal filters and charge many dollars for a small bottle.  And folks happily pay.  I have thought about marketing a bottle of purified air for $5!  I would just put some silly writing on the bottle saying the air is healthy and there will be folks who will happily pay. And if I were to increase the price to $10 and call it "Super Clean Air" even more folks would pay.  Such is life today.

Now you might think I am crazy but take a look at this link:

NEW - Fresh Bottled British Air | My Baggage | My Baggage

Hank

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If I drank $140 dollars of coffee in a day an ambulance would be needed 🙂  We (DW and I) are Elite with Princess.  Without a drink package we simply trade in our free mini-bar benefit for 2 coffee cards (no longer a real card) which gets me an awful lot of free coffee drinks.  DW is a tea drinker and since she can find no reason to pay for tea at the IC she usually carries some tea bags (which she can pick up  free in the Lido).  At the IC she will simply ask for a pot of hot water (which is free) and puts in the tea bags :).

As to fountain sodas, both DW and I only drink Diet Soda and Diet Coke is usually the only option.  A few years ago DW started bringing single serving Crystal Light packs.  When she wants a soft drink it is usually iced tea and she has her crystal light (which is a lot better tasting then the free ice tea in the Lido).    As to bottled water I bring a bottle and simply fill it :).  Then I have bottled water.  I am still amazed that folks will pay more for water then gasoline!  Turn on the tap!   I understand that water is a big "fad" but it is ridiculous what folks pay for bottled water.  We live in Mexico (part of the year) where everyone drinks bottled water.  I get large bottles (about 5 gallons) delivered to my condo for about $2.50!  And it is truly purified bottled water.  I can go to any corner store (or bar) and buy a large bottle of bottled water for less than $1.  Go figure. 

So Nestles, Coke and others bottle water using regular city water run through charcoal filters and charge many dollars for a small bottle.  And folks happily pay.  I have thought about marketing a bottle of purified air for $5!  I would just put some silly writing on the bottle saying the air is healthy and there will be folks who will happily pay. And if I were to increase the price to $10 and call it "Super Clean Air" even more folks would pay.  Such is life today.

Now you might think I am crazy but take a look at this link:

NEW - Fresh Bottled British Air | My Baggage | My Baggage

Hank

You really can’t compare the U S and Mexico

I’m not a big drinker,  you’ll probably see me out having a drink by myself very often,  but the package for me is a plus. I like being able to have a drink anytime I want & sometimes try something I’ve never had before. When I compare the cost vs paying for things individually I like having everything paid for & not having a large bill at the end of the cruise. 

Tom😀

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

They appear to charge double when you are sailing alone for some ridiculous reason

I get that they charge you double when you are sailing alone....although it does seem excessive, but they shouldn't charge double for the Princess Plus if it's just for one person.

They tried to do the same to me on a five day as a single. They also didn't give the $100 onboard credit that they gave the Plus people. It wasn't worth it so I passed on it. On my seven day as a single the price is back to $40 a day and the $100 onboard credit is in place. I feel that you have to keep a close eye on it as promotions change every few weeks.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 9:03 PM, Hlitner said:

If the two of you have the coffee package on your cards, you can get free hot tea at the IC. That was one of the great perks I enjoyed when we had a suite and traded for coffee cards. (And it was even better that we got to carry over our unused punches from the cards on subsequent cruises back then.) When we take a long cruise, I'll buy the coffee package on my account. DH drinks the coffee drinks at dinner, and I get the free hot teas. Doing it this way abides by the rules: "Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser."

Edited by geoherb