Large Groups

travelwell

I have no memory of large groups on Regent. We had a small (around 50 people) alumni group on a Navigator cruise that had no impact on our experience. A few years  ago we had a very large, around 330 people, alumni group on our first Crystal cruise. Our cruise was impacted as key rooms were used day and night. The group on sea days took the theater for programing and we were stuck in a bar/dance area for our lectures. When their meetings were over, 330 people rushed for lunch at one time. We had  trouble finding a table and we had lines for most lunches. This was the only cruise we  have regrets taking. It impacted our experience so for us Crystal was one and done. I blame Crystal for choosing to give us non group people a second class experience.

So now I am looking at a Regent, Istanbul to Athens June 21st to July 3rd 2023. Found out through a google search the same group is on this cruise. How does Regent handle large groups? Would they allow a third or more of the ship to one group? Will this are group have access to the best rooms at the best times? Looking at another itinerary. Am I wrong?

We had 2 large groups with us aboard Mariner 2 years ago, it was terrible for those who were not part of those groups.  They were insurance salespeople and very poorly behaved.  Shorts after 6 PM, drunk all of the time, disgusting!  People who had obviously earned the cruise but never would never have booked using their own money.  How did you learn of the groups?  I would like to know if there is something similar on any of our upcoming bookings!

• Like 1

Although I could be wrong as I was not on the Explorer's most recent cruise, from my understanding, there was a 100 person "bridge group" on board. Some folks were pretty unhappy about that. I don't know how we, as potential cruisers can find info on whether there will be large groups on a particular cruise.....

I am disappointed to hear of the large groups. Is Regent honest if you call and ask if a large group is on board or answer truthfully your travel agents. This is the one question I am going to ask for here on out. I also will not consider this particular cruise.

Pcardad,

When I pay for a luxury experience I expect little to no lines, an empty table for lunch. I expect quality lectures in a part of the ship that is quiet and comfortable. I expect access to the main venues of the ship. I expect good behavior, politeness between fellow passengers and to the crew.

I am not against groups on cruise ships. It was when the group included a third of the passengers and the cruise line gave the group priority to venues. It was when the energy of the crew to making this group happy came at the expense of our needs being met. To make our situation worse was the college alumni group had strong political leanings. They would try to engage the regular cruise population. During these highly polarized times it was not conducive a relaxed vacation.  The culture of the cruise was impacted. After Shemansls experience above, I am happy to say the group with us was appropriate in behavior and dress.

I am on the last two segments of the 2022 WC. Some might say I am sailing with a large affinity group. To me this is different, except for some private, off ship, special events I will have the same opportunity to experience the cruise as someone on the whole WC. 

All:

This was our very-recent Explorer experience completed yesterday at Miami.  Bridge group.  A little over 100 participants in this "affinity group".  We cruised with a reduced passenger capacity (around 465 folks, rather than the usual 740+).  There was a FULL Crew complement.   Again, an aspect contributing to the over-all positive atmosphere.  

They were certainly discipled as to attending several sessions during the day (and one or two after dinner) all of which held in the Meridian Lounge.  In no way did this group negatively affect our total enjoyment--which was the first after having three previous Regent cruises canceled due to COVID.  

As a former "Bridger", enjoyed listening to the banter which extended into the other areas of the ship as couples discussed amongst themselves why someone had bid this-or-that.  Example:  "Why did you bid two no trump; you should have responded three spades."  An opportunity for a chuckle.  

Yes, there was that anticipated "group cluster" exodus following a particular session--usually for lunch; or to a Lounge after a late afternoon session.  Not an issue.  

Staff was always there, in abundance, providing snacks, beverages, and such.  They were also there to the rest of us at all venues, at all times. 

Given the unique aspects of this segment (reduced passengers; perhaps an over-complement of Crew; and the first return of Explorer to a US Port after about a two-year absence), perhaps our experience was not dispositive.   But, it was what it was.   

GOARMY!

• Like 1

We’ve been on one cruise with the Bridge group, they are the best because they came on for one thing - play bridge.  They stayed in that room from morning till night only breaking form lunch and dinner.  Maybe a show or two.  Great group——however if it’s company group or school reunion, forget it-cancel if you can.

• Like 4

Bridge groups are different than the large group the OP was talking about. Bridge groups are there to play bridge and that is what they care about

The other group probably won the cruise as an incentive and do not care about anything/anyone.  They would be better off on Carnival 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Bridge groups are different than the large group the OP was talking about. Bridge groups are there to play bridge and that is what they care about

The other group probably won the cruise as an incentive and do not care about anything/anyone.  They would be better off on Carnival 

Anyone, and there are some on every cruise (Regent included), who do not follow the rules nor respect their fellow passengers would be better off anywhere but on the ship.

I am very surprised to hear that Travelwell felt the crew was unable to meet the needs of the entire ship. I have seen passengers disciplined and removed from cruises for poor behavior - Regent is not afraid to do this.

On the bright side, the larger affinity groups simple charter the entire ship (Yes, Regent does this as well), although we should be happy it isn't Azamara which charters to nude cruising groups...I would hope they would boil the chairs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, travelwell said:

I have no memory of large groups on Regent. We had a small (around 50 people) alumni group on a Navigator cruise that had no impact on our experience. A few years  ago we had a very large, around 330 people, alumni group on our first Crystal cruise. Our cruise was impacted as key rooms were used day and night. The group on sea days took the theater for programing and we were stuck in a bar/dance area for our lectures. When their meetings were over, 330 people rushed for lunch at one time. We had  trouble finding a table and we had lines for most lunches. This was the only cruise we  have regrets taking. It impacted our experience so for us Crystal was one and done. I blame Crystal for choosing to give us non group people a second class experience.

So now I am looking at a Regent, Istanbul to Athens June 21st to July 3rd 2023. Found out through a google search the same group is on this cruise. How does Regent handle large groups? Would they allow a third or more of the ship to one group? Will this are group have access to the best rooms at the best times? Looking at another itinerary. Am I wrong?

We are booked on this cruise also.  We are now looking at other options.  Definitely do not want to be on the ship that is taken over by a large group.

On 11/16/2021 at 7:02 AM, travelwell said:

We had a bridge group on a Seabourn cruise, not an issue at all. Not huge, maybe 50 or so. Bridge players are a quiet crowd.

Will Regent let us know if there will be a large group if we ask? Google helped me this time. 

Can you tell me what sites were helpful in determining if there is a large group booked on a particular cruise?  Getting a little worried....Thanks so much!!

I’m not aware of a resource that lists cruises with affinity groups on board but some time ago, on CC, there was advice to just Google your ship and departure date to see what comes up. If you see a hit for a group you don’t like, then at least you’re warned. I’m not sure what you could do about it though. 

• Like 1

We have been on a few cruises with large affinity groups, and the main problem we encountered was having large areas of the ship closed off for the various meetings, cocktail parties, etc.  I am not talking about the bridge groups—they just play bridge and tend to follow the dress code, etc.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

I’m not aware of a resource that lists cruises with affinity groups on board but some time ago, on CC, there was advice to just Google your ship and departure date to see what comes up. If you see a hit for a group you don’t like, then at least you’re warned. I’m not sure what you could do about it though. 

I am wondering if you could get a direct answer from Regent if you or your travel agent asked them. If a group has greater then 15% I would want to know (I am not talking about bridge groups). If 330 people filled the Mariner it would be a huge percentage of the ship.  I Google this group yearly to see where they are going. The last few years they have alternated between RSSC and Crystal. I did a google search for 2023 alumni cruises on Regent Seven Seas Cruiseline. I got a bunch of hits, including the group on the Mariner. 

About three years ago my husband and I took a back to back Caribbean cruise on Voyager.  The first segment on 10 days was fine.  The second 7 day segment was a nightmare cruise that I won't wish on my worst enemy.  There were 2 groups of 300 people each.  One group was not really a problem except that there were approximately 30 small children included. Just very unusual for a Regent cruise.  The other group consisted of mainly 25 to 30 year old Insurance company employees who  had been rewarded this trip.  The pool deck looked like a drunken, dangerous Frat party gone really, really bad.  Numerous beer bottles in the pool, vomiting passengers around the pool deck, EVERY DAY of the cruise.  The aforementioned small children, (or anyone else, for that matter), never got within 20 feet of the pool.  One night a group of 40 were booked into Prime 7  at 9PM.  The table of 6 next to us, ordered 18 entrees, hooted and hollered throughout the whole dinner.  Regent personal, were clearly present at both the pool and restaurant action, but did nothing to curb any unacceptable behavour. There were about 60 loyal Regent passengers on this Back to Back cruise who complained to many Regent officers and staff, but no action was ever taken.   Seriously, I could go on and on about other horrible examples, but I think the Drunken Frat party reference says it all.  My advice is to avoid any large bloc of incentive groups.  They do not bode well for a luxury Regent experience.

BettyDol,    I hear you and can feel your emotion.    Although not even close to your 'Drunken Frat Party' there are sporadic incidents on many cruises where it seems like people have forgotten where they are, how they arrived and how to act while aboard  -  Commonly with large multi-generation parties or groups of otherwise 'Entitled' individuals.      

Regent - as well any luxury destination - would rather just control and contain the chaos rather than fan the embers of a smoldering fire and cause it to grow.   Seems wrong, but in the long game it's usually best.   

I will always remember and admire Jorge in P7 trying to manage a 20-25 person - non-english speaking - multi-generation family - who's toddler/infants were playing cars and dolls in the isles of the restaurant  - during a New Years Day [Formal style] Dinner.   Too long of a story for this posting but suffice it to say, the staff coped with the chaos and later were apologetic to the point of tears.  They just about offered to serve us Breakfast in bed the next morning of Steak, Lobster & Eggs.   

Avoid large groups like rush-hour traffic.   But thank the Policeman directing traffic when caught in the chaos.

7-Days = Dangerous

10-Days = Be Cautious

12-Days = Possibly Concerning

14-Days = Probably Safe

18-Days(+) = Pure Bliss!

At least I hope so, my next cruise will on Mariner for 18 days through the Panama Canal...

Just as important as the duration, I think time of year factors in.  Summer Vacations, [the] Holidays and projected 'Events' often cause Parents, Grandparents and/or Associations to pair the event and the cruise 'group'.  Smile and Roll the Dice.

3 hours ago, travelwell said:

I am wondering if booking a longer cruise is the way to most likely avoid a group. I am pretty much going to keep our cruises greater then 14 days. We can do this now we are retired. Reading BettyDol’s experience gave me heartburn.

The potential fly in the ointment is that at times, Regent will sell two or more shorter segments of a longer cruise. For example, the current 24 night Explorer cruise that began in Miami on November 15, was also broken into three eight night segments. So taking the 24 night cruise was no guarantee that there wouldn’t be a large group on one of the eight night segments. Also, sometimes the shorter segments are created at a later time than the full cruise. 

Sorry to be the bearer of potentially bad tidings. Hope this helps nevertheless.

Dave

• Haha 1