Tamarind Question

excited balcony

3 minutes ago, gaunerdog said:

Thanks for the info. We will have an 11 year old grandson on a 6/4/22 Alaska cruise but unfortunately his 14 year old brother will pay full price!😪

Another option it to order at the Tamarind bar.  After having enjoyed Tamarind a few days earlier on our Eurodam cruise, I was at the bar and asked if I could order from the Nami Sushi menu (ala carte item pricing vs Tamarind set price).  They said "definitely" and brought that menu.  This was a great because I wasn't looking for a big meal.  I did notice the four entrees on the Nami Sushi menu were the same as some of the entrees on the full Tamarind menu.  So, if you would like to see if your grandsons like the Tamarind food before diving in fully, this might be a great option to try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Newer to HAL here, and we almost sailed on Noordam until we found out there was no Tamarind onboard. Switched to Eurodam and have 3 nights reserved now.

It was our favorite dining venue on Koningsdam in October. (Rudi’s a VERY close second.) As far as Asian cuisine goes it’s not revolutionary, but it is all executed extraordinarily well. Highly recommend for the first night of the cruise; it’s sparsely attended night 1.

Space is gorgeous during the day, too. In fact, after chatting for a bit, the staff encouraged us to visit their secluded bar area lounge as a hangout during the day. Sure enough, was an amazingly comfortable place to curl up with a book—no other passengers around.

I wish they had lunch available there. Our MDR experience for lunch was pretty miserable.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember when (what year) they stopped serving the complimentary Tamarind lunch? We last had it in 2012 on Nieuw Amsterdam, but hadn't sailed a ship with Tamarind since then so were unsure when it was removed.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:46 PM, excited balcony said:

We will be trying the Tamarind restaurant for the first time on the Koningsdam next month.  I have a couple of questions I am hoping you can help with. 
First, are we able to order more than one appetizer without an additional charge?

And, is it the same menu every night or does the menu change like the MDR menu nightly?   If it is a different menu nightly, is there somewhere I can view it to try to pick the night we might like the best?
Thank you!!

They only charge for extra main dishes. Note that if you get an extra main dish with a surcharge they usually will only charge you the surcharge and not the extra entree fee. Also note the Wok Seared Lobster is 100% worth the $20 up charge. The menu does not change, go whatever night fits best with your schedule (or has the worst MDR menu).  

On 11/21/2021 at 11:42 AM, OVgirl said:

Another question regarding the a la carte menu. Do 4* passengers get the 50% discount off those prices?

On 11/21/2021 at 11:55 AM, sailingdutchy said:

Same discounts that 4* and 5* get as all the other specialty restaurants , don't remember if 4* is 25 or 50 % 

3* receive the 25% discount.

• Thanks 1

We were 4* on our Dec/Jan cruise on the Rotterdam and got 50% off in Tamarind, but Nami Sushi was full price.  I'm not sure what happens if you order sushi when you are in Tamarind and not at the Nami Sushi bar.  Nami Sushi is so good, it was worth paying full price.  We had the tempura asparagus, the poke, the spicy tuna roll, seaweed salad, and more - all was wonderful!

On 1/22/2022 at 6:15 PM, AFNavigator said:

Another option it to order at the Tamarind bar.  After having enjoyed Tamarind a few days earlier on our Eurodam cruise, I was at the bar and asked if I could order from the Nami Sushi menu (ala carte item pricing vs Tamarind set price).  They said "definitely" and brought that menu.  This was a great because I wasn't looking for a big meal.  I did notice the four entrees on the Nami Sushi menu were the same as some of the entrees on the full Tamarind menu.  So, if you would like to see if your grandsons like the Tamarind food before diving in fully, this might be a great option to try.

Thanks, both younger grandsons enjoy all Asian dishes. Their father also cooks Asian foods often.