How do you handle regular prescriptions?

KKB

Funny you should ask. I was just discussing this with my physician.  My insurance will currently pay for a three-month supply after I requested more than a month supply at a time to cover an 89 day land and cruise trip.. My suggestion would be to call the insurance provider and see if you can get them to approve a refill for the time you need.

Good luck

Edited by SargassoPirate

20 hours ago, KKB said:

I take 2 blood pressure meds. I can get a 3 month prescription--but we are considering a longer cruise than that!

How do you handle prescriptions?

I contacted my PBM, explained the situation, and requested an override of the "only 90 days at a time" rule.  It took several days for this to be approved, but it was approved.  This is one of those planning requirements for a long cruise that needs to be started and completed well before departure date.  

• Like 2

I've done a couple of over-90-day cruises, and never had a problem getting a "vacation waiver" to get insurance to cover the full amount. My insurer was BCBS each time, though different actual policies.

If the insurance company denies the waiver, you can always buy the meds out of pocket, or use one of the discount medication cards like GoodRx.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

My wife somehow removes the label from the original prescription bottle (she peels carefully and slowly), and then applies the label to a small zipper lock bag. It is my understanding that it isn't the original prescription container that is important; it is the label and information that it contains that is important. The small bags can be found on Amazon; search for zip lock craft bags.

On longer trips, we transfer prescription pills to these small labeled bags before we leave home, to save packing space. During our travels we use these bags to refill our week-at-a-time organizers. And we always bring enough prescription meds to last at least one week longer than our anticipated travel dates, in case of unforeseen delays.

Another strategy would be to have your doctor(s) give you printed prescriptions for each medication, and take these paper copies with you when traveling. Then the pills themselves could be taken in whatever container is convenient. But still label each container with a homemade sticker as to pill name, strength, etc.

Even with our transferring of prescription labels to small baggies, we still also carry printed prescriptions for international travel. This documents the pills in our possession, plus can be useful if there is a need to go to a foreign pharmacy.

Yet another option would be to ask the pharmacist to print out and give you new labels. Explain your purpose, and they should be okay doing this.

• 4 months later...
On 10/30/2022 at 10:19 AM, BlewWater said:

My wife somehow removes the label from the original prescription bottle (she peels carefully and slowly), and then applies the label to a small zipper lock bag. It is my understanding that it isn't the original prescription container that is important; it is the label and information that it contains that is important. The small bags can be found on Amazon; search for zip lock craft bags.

On longer trips, we transfer prescription pills to these small labeled bags before we leave home, to save packing space. During our travels we use these bags to refill our week-at-a-time organizers. And we always bring enough prescription meds to last at least one week longer than our anticipated travel dates, in case of unforeseen delays.

Another strategy would be to have your doctor(s) give you printed prescriptions for each medication, and take these paper copies with you when traveling. Then the pills themselves could be taken in whatever container is convenient. But still label each container with a homemade sticker as to pill name, strength, etc.

Even with our transferring of prescription labels to small baggies, we still also carry printed prescriptions for international travel. This documents the pills in our possession, plus can be useful if there is a need to go to a foreign pharmacy.

Yet another option would be to ask the pharmacist to print out and give you new labels. Explain your purpose, and they should be okay doing this.

What about a photo on your phone of each prescription, perhaps with the pill beside it for reference?

On a 90 day prescription, you can refill it every 68 days, nearly a month in advance.  You do this four times, and you have plenty of extra medication to take with you, without having to ask anyone anything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We're old enough to be on Medicare and have a Part D supplement for meds. Since we pay our premium for this in one lump sum in late December for the next year, we've never had a problem with our insurance denying a prescription written for 5 months worth of our maintenance meds. 

If I'm going to be gone long enough that I have to take meds off the ship with me, I take a photo of the labels with my phone so I have the script with me, then I carry the day's meds in a small, see-through zipper pouch. I'm not hiding anything. This is especially important in zero-drug tolerance countries like Singapore and the Middle East. 

• 2 weeks later...

When I booked our WC, I started refilling my 3 month supply of BP meds as soon as I was eligible (which is 2 months out).  As a result, I had sufficient supply for 6 months.  
DH just told his doctor he needed a 6 month supply and the doctor wrote it.  I think he had to pay up front for his meds, for the second 3 months.