Travelling from UK, had covid within 90 days of travel

Topdog1

Hello, I’ve just had Covid and we are cruising in January. I’ve been told by my travel agent that I will need to provide a negative covid test but a Google search has said I may still test positive and most places accept proof of immunity. Has anyone had experience of this please?

37 minutes ago, Topdog1 said:

Hello, I’ve just had Covid and we are cruising in January. I’ve been told by my travel agent that I will need to provide a negative covid test but a Google search has said I may still test positive and most places accept proof of immunity. Has anyone had experience of this please?

Not sure what you searched but I assume (?) that you tested negative at some point after your recent bout with COVID and confirmed that you were over it by a negative RT-PCR or antigen test.  So why would you test positive by that same test unless you get infected again between now and January when you board your cruise?  Hopefully you will be OK to cruise with no issues.

33 minutes ago, Topdog1 said:

It sounds like you may be confusing the test required to enter the US with the test required to board the cruise. 

To enter the US you either need the negative test, or proof of COVID-19 infection within the prior 90 day, along with a statement from your physician that you've fully recovered and are fit to travel.  This was designed to provide a route for someone in your situation. 

To board the cruise you need a negative COVID test.  The proof pf prior infection/fitness to travel statement will not suffice. 

With advancements in testing, and the fact you'll be some time past your COVID infection by the time you'll travel, you'll likely be fine.  If you go to your own health care provider for COVID testing, they may advise you not be tested until the 90 day mark but, at least here in the US, you can simply state it's for travel, and they'll test. 

If it were me in your place, I'd test about 2 weeks pre-cruise, to verify you're testing negative.  Assuming that's the case, I'd then travel to the US using the letter certifying the COVID infection within the prior 90 days, and doctor's statement of recovery and fitness to travel.  Then test again in the required 2 days before boarding. 

Of course none of this affects the need to be fully vaccinated for the cruise, with all does completed at least 14 days pre-cruise. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Not sure what you searched but I assume (?) that you tested negative at some point after your recent bout with COVID and confirmed that you were over it by a negative RT-PCR or antigen test.  So why would you test positive by that same test unless you get infected again between now and January when you board your cruise?  Hopefully you will be OK to cruise with no issues.

I'm not sure if this is still the protocol, but a year ago, medical advice was to not test for COVID for 90 days after an infection, as the chances were high for a false positive.  This may be a reason the OP has not undergone testing since infection. 

Testing has improved so while this may still be a recommendation, the OP's COVID results will likely be negative long before they travel. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 2

Here is what it says on our Government website, 

The 90-day window after a positive test

If someone has tested positive with a PCR test, they should not be tested using either PCR or rapid lateral flow tests for 90 days, unless they develop new symptoms during this time – in which case they should be retested immediately using PCR.

This 90-day period is from the initial onset of symptoms or, if asymptomatic when tested, their positive test result.

19 minutes ago, omeinv said:

It sounds like you may be confusing the test required to enter the US with the test required to board the cruise. 

To enter the US you either need the negative test, or proof of COVID-19 infection within the prior 90 day, along with a statement from your physician that you've fully recovered and are fit to travel.  This was designed to provide a route for someone in your situation. 

To board the cruise you need a negative COVID test.  The proof pf prior infection/fitness to travel statement will not suffice. 

With advancements in testing, and the fact you'll be some time past your COVID infection by the time you'll travel, you'll likely be fine.  If you go to your own health care provider for COVID testing, they may advise you not be tested until the 90 day mark but, at least here in the US, you can simply state it's for travel, and they'll test. 

If it were me in your place, I'd test about 2 weeks pre-cruise, to verify you're testing negative.  Assuming that's the case, I'd then travel to the US using the letter certifying the COVID infection within the prior 90 days, and doctor's statement of recovery and fitness to travel.  Then test again in the required 2 days before boarding. 

Of course none of this affects the need to be fully vaccinated for the cruise, with all does completed at least 14 days pre-cruise. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Thanks Harris, I am fully vaccinated, including the booster. I have literally just had Covid and am booked to travel on 1st January. As you say I’ll be able to fly to the US on the doctors letter but there will be no guarantee that I’ll test negative for Celebrity 😫

6 minutes ago, Topdog1 said:

Thanks Harris, I am fully vaccinated, including the booster. I have literally just had Covid and am booked to travel on 1st January. As you say I’ll be able to fly to the US on the doctors letter but there will be no guarantee that I’ll test negative for Celebrity 😫

Yes, that's way I would say test two weeks before your trip.  If you test negative then, you really should be fine.  If you don't you've not made the trip to the US.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Topdog1 said:

Here is what it says on our Government website, 

The 90-day window after a positive test

If someone has tested positive with a PCR test, they should not be tested using either PCR or rapid lateral flow tests for 90 days, unless they develop new symptoms during this time – in which case they should be retested immediately using PCR.

This 90-day period is from the initial onset of symptoms or, if asymptomatic when tested, their positive test result.

I believe that's still the protocol here as well, however for travel testing can be done.  The concern was people trying to test shortly after recovery and isolation after an infection would still test positive, which would needlessly divert resources, and would result in unnecessary isolations. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Rick, the clinical protocols generally don’t retest symptomatic individuals. The retests are mostly for asymptomatic. The CDC does not recommend retesting for 90 days. The test may well be positive, and there doesn’t appear to be consensus on interpretation. 

While canderson is probably correct on the science, I think the recommendation is not to test during that 90 day period regardless of technology. 

First, let me say I’m glad you’re ok.

If you can test negative and, more importantly, remain so, then great, but ultimately, it doesn’t matter what a test says. If there’s a chance you could pass on Covid, then I, for one, would not want you on my cruise!

I don’t intend to sound mean, but realistically it’s safety that matters. If that means you being disappointed and not able to cruise, then sad as it is, you can rebook without penalty and go later.

Hopefully none of this applies, but let’s be real here. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Topdog1 said:

Does the UK not have home rapid test kits? You could take one for your own peace of mind before flying to the US.

Friends asked us to cruise over Christmas with them, not a problem until they said they had COVID. This was over Hallowe’en and as we know about the 90 days we said No Thanks, we didn’t want a chance of catching anything or waving Goodbye if they both tested positive pre cruise.

Topdog will your travel insurance cover you if you are denied boarding, have you asked your GP for a  letter and is he willing to give it.

I don’t know what Celebrity procedure would be if they know you are travelling against Government/NHS advice.

I am glad you are okay.  I would use the at home rapid test just for your own piece of mind just so you know what to expect.  If you google articles on people testing positive while traveling, there are articles about people testing positive before their flight and stayed at a quarantine hotel and test again in 7 days and tested negative and allowed to fly back.  We can only speculate one here until you actually get tested to see the result yourself unfortunately.

Here is an example

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/travelers-who-test-positive-for-covid-on-vacation/index.html

42 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

If you can test negative and, more importantly, remain so, then great, but ultimately, it doesn’t matter what a test says. If there’s a chance you could pass on Covid, then I, for one, would not want you on my cruise!

I don’t intend to sound mean, but realistically it’s safety that matters. If that means you being disappointed and not able to cruise, then sad as it is, you can rebook without penalty and go later.

Hopefully none of this applies, but let’s be real here. 

It’s not been proven that after 10 days (hence why a 10 day isolation period) of no symptoms it is transferable to other people so there would be no issue of infecting anyone else luckily.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Topdog will your travel insurance cover you if you are denied boarding, have you asked your GP for a  letter and is he willing to give it.

I don’t know what Celebrity procedure would be if they know you are travelling against Government/NHS advice.

Yes I can get a letter of immunity saying I’m fit to travel, but I’m told that even though I could enter the US with the letter, I would still need a negative test result to sail with Celebrity. 

1 hour ago, Guindalf said:

You should probably do some reading on why the more amplified PCR tests in particular turn up positive results when the patient hasn't had a live (and capable of infecting you) COVID bug in their system for quite some time. 

42 minutes ago, canderson said:

You should probably do some reading on why the more amplified PCR tests in particular turn up positive results when the patient hasn't had a live (and capable of infecting you) COVID bug in their system for quite some time. 

Er, no, I shouldn’t.