Covid testing

CruisingLover

We will be sailing out of Port Everglades leaving December 29th this year. Covid test needs to be done 2 days prior to sailing. 2 days prior is the day we land in Fort Lauderdale. I found a CVS not far from the airport or our hotel but.....I've heard stories that (especially with CVS) you can have an appointment, get there, and there isn't any testing being done 😡

I did find out that if we get desperate, we can have the testing done AT the port for $150 per person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywho.....is there a place that is guaranteed to hold an appointment for testing that isn't too far from the airport?

Have you considered trying the telehealth monitored self-testing, which is an option accepted by Princess per the FAQs on Princess.com?  It might be less stressful.

Here's a screenshot of the applicable FAQ, and I'll include the link for ordering the test kits (which I understand are also available at most large pharmacies, such as CVS and Walgreen).

image.png.e290e952ae175a11691d9ac7dbefda44.png

Binax Telehealth Covid Test Kits - Princess approved

• Like 1

I know there is a Walgreens close to the port that is testing. 

And I have heard that Princess recently lowered the cost of testing to $100.  

I like that Princess will accept monitored home testing.  That seems to be a big win-win.  

I'm going to order the at home (or in our case will be at hotel....) tests. I don't want to run the risk of not being able to find a place that'll do the testing.

28 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

I know there is a Walgreens close to the port that is testing. 

And I have heard that Princess recently lowered the cost of testing to $100.  

I like that Princess will accept monitored home testing.  That seems to be a big win-win.  

I just asked the chat person at Princess last night and they said they are $150 per guest 🤷‍♀️

Edited by CruisingLover

Product Large Image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image

Are the ones from Walgreens different then the link you shared? The Walgreens one is only $24 for 2 as opposed to $70 for 2 on the link.

COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Self-Test at Home Kit2.0ea

$2399$23.99
Online and store prices may vary.
1 hour ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

Have you considered trying the telehealth monitored self-testing, which is an option accepted by Princess per the FAQs on Princess.com?  It might be less stressful.

Here's a screenshot of the applicable FAQ, and I'll include the link for ordering the test kits (which I understand are also available at most large pharmacies, such as CVS and Walgreen).

image.png.e290e952ae175a11691d9ac7dbefda44.png

Binax Telehealth Covid Test Kits - Princess approved

2 hours ago, rabin1 said:

I posted on Florida Departures where you can get tests done. I spent hours doing this for all of you

Kathy

Along with Kathy, I have also given everyone places to get the antigen test done. ThAnk you Kathy for your help on getting information for us. I know it was time consuming, as I have spent several hours calling and checking out places. I appreciate your help!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Loverofdogs said:

Along with Kathy, I have also given everyone places to get the antigen test done. ThAnk you Kathy for your help on getting information for us. I know it was time consuming, as I have spent several hours calling and checking out places. I appreciate your help!!!

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and am NOT going to go into this but most Walgreens and CVS down here DO NOT do the Rapid Antigen test. I spent about 3 hours LOOKING up and then contacting places and not talking about the above mentioned. The main one I told you all about works. I have said this now numerous times. If people want to listen to me fine you will get the tests without hassles. I also posted the managers names and everything needed . Both locations are within 20 minutes of the port. I am not posting about this again. It is your choice to use them or not. Personally I would use someone that knows the area and lives in the area. But again as I just said it is your choice. Good luck

Kathy

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruisingLover said:
Product Large Image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image
  • 50x50_image

Are the ones from Walgreens different then the link you shared? The Walgreens one is only $24 for 2 as opposed to $70 for 2 on the link.

COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Self-Test at Home Kit2.0ea

$2399$23.99
Online and store prices may vary.

The tests you show are not accepted by Princess as they are not monitored.   You need the Covid-19 AG Card Hime Test.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CruisingLover said:

I would just say to be careful that you get the ones that offer certified results via proctor observing over webcam/phone cam.  I think the ones you list from Walgreens might simply be at-home tests that do not yield an official verification that would be accepted by the cruise line.

Here is what I posted. Use it or not. There is one I posted before this number 22.

This is the second time I am posting this for the Princess people. The first time the moderator moved it to the main page under Florida departures I assume so all cruise lines could see it.

There is a company that has TWO Rapid Antigen Test locations within 20 minutes of both the port and the pier. One is just west of both of those and the other near the Galleria Mall In Ft. Lauderdale. Again both locations are within 20 minutes of either the pier or the airport.

NAME; SYNERGY DX

PHONE NUMBER TO MAKE APPOINTMENT 954-835-5198

PERSON TO ASK FOR DIANA

WILL GIVE YOU DOCUMENTATION.

I told her I was going to post this again for those that didn't see it the first time I posted it or where it was moved to.

3 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

Here is what I posted. Use it or not. There is one I posted before this number 22.

This is the second time I am posting this for the Princess people. The first time the moderator moved it to the main page under Florida departures I assume so all cruise lines could see it.

There is a company that has TWO Rapid Antigen Test locations within 20 minutes of both the port and the pier. One is just west of both of those and the other near the Galleria Mall In Ft. Lauderdale. Again both locations are within 20 minutes of either the pier or the airport.

NAME; SYNERGY DX

PHONE NUMBER TO MAKE APPOINTMENT 954-835-5198

PERSON TO ASK FOR DIANA

WILL GIVE YOU DOCUMENTATION.

I told her I was going to post this again for those that didn't see it the first time I posted it or where it was moved to.

below is the first one I posted. Now you have them both

I live here in Ft. Lauderdale and I decided to see if I could find a place besides CVS to get quick tests for you guys. I did find and here is the info

1. they have two locations within 7 to 10 minutes of the port they are Ft Lauderdale and Davie

2. they do drive up usually no wait so I guess you could go in a cab 

3. they also make appointments

4. results in 30 minutes.

5. all great reviews I looked them up as well

6. Cost is $85 will not take insurance will give receipt for you to file with your carrier

7. Name of company is Synergy DX. I called them very very nice .

I am going to use them In there Ft. Lauderdale location

Good luck with the testing for everyone

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

The tests you show are not accepted by Princess as they are not monitored.   You need the Covid-19 AG Card Hime Test.

Here is a picture of the accepted tests. You can purchase online from Emed or Optum . Emed sells in packs if 6 for $150.  The prices below are from Optum dot com.

7785A0F3-E9E7-4FE5-9E27-A98705148CAB.jpeg

Edited by Shelly97060

We used BeeperMD for our Antigen test. Made the reservation on line while on the Regal November 28th. Uploaded our insurance cards and drivers license. Confirmation came 10 minutes later. 

No charge if you have 2 or more people. 

Naomi called us about 20 minutes before our appointment to let us know she was on the way. She arrived promptly on time. We sat in the lobby of the Hyatt House near the cruise port in Fort Lauderdale. Quick swab for both of us, negative results in 15 minutes. 

We received a PDF of the results 20 minutes later. Just make sure everyone's name is spelled correctly. When we received our results, my wife's name was not correct. They fixed it about 2 hours later. 

Great service!

• Like 2

Sorry, I had a crazy work day yesterday (trying to wrap things up so I can go on a 2-week cruise 😄), and wasn't able to get back here but am glad others stepped in and answered the questions. Princess requires the version of the BinaxNow test that's monitored via a  a live video "telehealth" visit with one of their proctors. The version without the telehealth monitoring will not satisfy the boarding requirements, although we have bought that test just for our own informational purposes for "turnaround day" of our upcoming B2B and for after we return home to help assure we remain Covid negative.

I'm hopeful the OP will find a solution that works for them.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere

23 hours ago, CruisingLover said:

We will be sailing out of Port Everglades leaving December 29th this year. Covid test needs to be done 2 days prior to sailing. 2 days prior is the day we land in Fort Lauderdale.

Anywho.....is there a place that is guaranteed to hold an appointment for testing that isn't too far from the airport?

Since you are landing at the airport within the prescribed testing window, why not get the test done at the airport?

See this thread on the Florida Departures board: 

Also see post #51 detailing one cruiser's experience using the airport testing on Kathy's thread:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2812030-rapid-antigen-test-near-pier-and-airport-ft-lauderdale-see-below-2-locations/page/3/#comments

Just a quick note to confirm that I did get my Rapid Antigen test at the FLL airport when I flew in on October 27th for my cruise on October 29th.  I had an appt for 1:30 but arrived at 1 pm and they took me right away.  They did not ask for my boarding pass or proof of flight in or out of FLL, but I had already filled that info out on-line when I made my appt, so maybe that's why.  They would not print out my results; they only text and e-mail the info to you, just fyi, and I had my results in about 15 minutes.  I printed out my results at the hotel so I would have a "hard copy" as I was nervous about just having it on my phone.  Also, you must pay $59 for the test.  I did not ask for a receipt to submit to my insurance, so I'm not sure if they ever provide a receipt.  Hope this helps anyone flying into Fort Lauderdale for a cruise.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:00 PM, eagletwo said:

We used BeeperMD for our Antigen test. Made the reservation on line while on the Regal November 28th. Uploaded our insurance cards and drivers license. Confirmation came 10 minutes later. 

No charge if you have 2 or more people. 

Naomi called us about 20 minutes before our appointment to let us know she was on the way. She arrived promptly on time. We sat in the lobby of the Hyatt House near the cruise port in Fort Lauderdale. Quick swab for both of us, negative results in 15 minutes. 

We received a PDF of the results 20 minutes later. Just make sure everyone's name is spelled correctly. When we received our results, my wife's name was not correct. They fixed it about 2 hours later. 

Great service!

Thank you for that!! Just scheduled for our March cruise 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

I want to thank @rabin1and @Loverofdogsfor their resources including 1 that will come to your hotel if necessary. No charge for multiple people requesting a same day test (yes, solos pay --- we always pay). 

That's https://beepermd.com/

Thank you for your kind words. You are correct us solos always pay and pay and pay...............lol

Love your doggie. Love animals.

Happy Holidays

Kathy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 1:03 PM, CruisingLover said:

I did, thank you! We opted for the at home test kits 🙂 Hopefully we will use them correctly!

Updates on PCL websites.  Today Dec 15th.

Just click on the Q& A, sailing from the US, Updates under health protocols.

Noticed they are in the process of boosting their crews, probably only a matter if time until passengers will be

required.  Some countries are starting to require boosters too.  (Mostly EU)

Also, they extended the covid test if absolutely necessary at the FLL port up to Jan 9, 22 cruises, instead of Dec 9, 22

at $100 per person.  

But, do read through it, to see if you notice more changes.

Tonna

• Thanks 1

I noticed that Princess is now offering testing at the ports of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Ft. Lauderdale at the pier.  The cost is $100 charged to your onboard account and you need a reservation.  This has to be done within 10 days of your sailing.  I had appointments at a CVS, but have heard some horror stories, so I went ahead and booked tests for DH and myself.  The website is a little cranky, but I got it done.  Had trouble entering my address until I figured they wanted the complete address, including USA. Then it took a bit of time to load the possible locations, but there was our ship and date out of San Pedro.  You can register other family members on one account so the reservations included both of us in one booking.  Feeling better now that I don't have to worry about CVS cancelling or not getting the results to us in time.  It looked like they had about 25 tests open each half hour starting at 11:00 am.

You can find the link to the testing company in the FAQ's about Covid Testing requirements in the "will you offer testing at the terminal section" section.

Edited by baz48
added info

We are leaving on Enchanted Dec 30 out of FLL.  My sister lives in Ponte Vedra.  We live in Atlanta.  Driving down on 28th and getting CVS test at 4:05.  Then driving to FLL on 29th to stay overnite.

This is only my second test.  Had to do the testing to go to Maui this past February.  And had to use one of their preferred testing providers.  Paid $150 each for it.  But it was so worth it to have a month in Maui during whale season.

Have not been on a cruise ship since early Jan 2020 on the Coral to So America and Antartica!  Finally cruising again — and on a brand new ship - woohoo 😁

I have an appointment for our test on Friday locally at Walgreens for our cruise departing Sunday. But I'm wondering if I should make backup arrangements either locally or in Fort Lauderdale. Could I make a reservation Saturday night for the at-the-port $100 testing on Sunday, if necessary? Having anxiety over testing possibly testing positive...