WHO advises people 60 or older to postpone travel due to Omicron

bajathree

3 hours ago, esther e said:

I had a reservation on Viking and as soon as I found out masks were mandatory on the ship, I cancelled.  I'm not foolish, nor am I going to live in a bubble.  Life is too short.

Funny coincidence. We booked Viking as well for December and read that they were requiring every passenger to spit into a vial 2 ml every morning at 8:30 to be tested for covid. That was the 'straw' for us. Booked Celebrity again instead.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, baldilocks said:

I would rather live my life without all the 'hazards' of a virus. However, it is here and it is not going away. So, what to do? Get vaccinated if you choose, wear a mask if you choose and stay six feet away if you choose. I am vaccinated and boosted. I do not wear a mask unless it is required (doctor's office, airport, etc.). I go to where people gather without being six feet away. I try to live an ordinary life.

To live or not to live?  It was even not humanly comprehendible that such a nonsense in the latter would be a proposition!  Gladly, cruise lines shrugged it off.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Funny coincidence. We booked Viking as well for December and read that they were requiring every passenger to spit into a vial 2 ml every morning at 8:30 to be tested for covid. That was the 'straw' for us. Booked Celebrity again instead.

Don't start me on Viking!!!  If I meet you on a cruise one day and we have a drink, I'll fill you in.  Their cheerleaders are a different breed, but I guess all cheerleaders are prone being vocal about their cruise line.

4 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Can we get back to some music here and keep this over 60 group laughing.

We are all Senior adults (I am assuming) and have clearly made many good decisions in our lives to be here, retired, able to cruise etc. 

There is no need for anyone here to bash our Senior decisions. We all want to live full, healthy, happy lives and continue our wonderful travel journeys.

Bon voyage as our friend here will always say.

I’m only 62 and am not thrilled to be now considered a senior adult. I believe Covid is real but aging is a hoax. 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

ridiculous. These are not the sort of details you are referring to. When someone makes an incorrect claim or statement it needs to be corrected. People tend to believe anything they read  Either that or the entire subject of Covid (and its variants) should be totally forbidden.

@Guppy99- Don't shoot the messenger. There have been many posts here discussing various aspects of the science of COVID and vaccines.  There was a very popular science-based "Light At The End Of The Tunnel" thread started by @Ken the cruiser which was highly active until a few months ago.   But then came new CC rules and clarifications.  Red Banner on top.   Their boards, their rules.  I have since seen many posts removed (including mine) and threads locked or removed.  Maybe some people as you say believe anything they read but many more do not.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I’m only 62 and am not thrilled to be now considered a senior adult. I believe Covid is real but aging is a hoax. 

I finally actually admitted I am a bit over 60. Shhh! My family and friends know I am still 39. 

I had to keep explaining why I had a Grandson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I finally actually admitted I am a bit over 60. Shhh! My family and friends know I am still 39. 

I had to keep explaining why I had a Grandson.

Like Loretta Lynn, I got married at 13, so even with a 33 year old son, I am still only 46.  Now I have to run, someone is coming to look at my beach front property in Scottsdale!

• Haha 2

👀👀  My state has it! 

Just a few days ago, my friend told me that she knew somebody (not vaccinated) in my ski town that had just returned from Africa. Probably not the same person, but it is here regardless. This person only had one vaccine.

"Just moments ago, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment confirmed the first Colorado case of the omicron variant," Polis said in a press conference. "It is somebody who just traveled to southern Africa and returned."

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

@Guppy99- Don't shoot the messenger. There have been many posts here discussing various aspects of the science of COVID and vaccines.  There was a very popular science-based "Light At The End Of The Tunnel" thread started by @Ken the cruiser which was highly active until a few months ago.   But then came new CC rules and clarifications.  Red Banner on top.   Their boards, their rules.  I have since seen many posts removed (including mine) and threads locked or removed.  Maybe some people as you say believe anything they read but many more do not.

Just read the note. All I can say is good luck with that one.  If Cruise Critic wants a forum (an anonymous one at that) then they have to allow discussion regarding topics that affect cruisers. That includes opinions, discoveries, asking questions about how others feel etc.  OR Cruise Critic can reduce itself to a set of FAQs. This is an unprecedented situation, and people need a place to discuss it.  Perhaps the better solution would be to open a single thread on each cruise line forum and direct everyone to post there with Covid related posts.  

You simply can't have it both ways, or else someone is deluding themselves about the nature of social media.

Edited by Guppy99
  • Like 2

@Guppy99 The problem is not only here on CC, but other social media sights, as well. Twitter, FB, etc. all monitor their content and remove what they do no want being shared. It is unfortunate that we all cannot have a normal and civil discussion on this topic because it does impact those of us that love to cruise. 

I was on another board today and a poor woman had a disability (clearly had one) and was upset about mask wearing because she could not use them without basically freaking out. She had Dr. notes and a thing she wore around her neck relating to her disability.  Instead of showing compassion for the woman, the attacks were uncalled for and someone suggested Celebrity as an alternative. It was all removed but some of those people were really vicious about the mask thing. Very sad.

1 minute ago, TrulyBlonde said:

@Guppy99 The problem is not only here on CC, but other social media sights, as well. Twitter, FB, etc. all monitor their content and remove what they do no want being shared. It is unfortunate that we all cannot have a normal and civil discussion on this topic because it does impact those of us that love to cruise. 

I was on another board today and a poor woman had a disability (clearly had one) and was upset about mask wearing because she could not use them without basically freaking out. She had Dr. notes and a thing she wore around her neck relating to her disability.  Instead of showing compassion for the woman, the attacks were uncalled for and someone suggested Celebrity as an alternative. It was all removed but some of those people were really vicious about the mask thing. Very sad.

You want to see cra cra, go to RCL and look at their mask chat, OMG.  Celebrity is doing it right, RCL as the parent should be doing the same, causes so much unneeded dissension.  I hope that lady moves to Celebrity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guppy99 said:

If Cruise Critic wants a forum (an anonymous one at that) then they have to allow discussion

Cruisecritic is a private site owned by TripAdvisor (I think) and they can allow and reject anything they want. It’s us who have the choice to stay and follow their rules, or leave 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

But you are a scientist right?  You have been extremely helpful throughout this whole ordeal.

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

👀👀  My state has it! 

Just a few days ago, my friend told me that she knew somebody (not vaccinated) in my ski town that had just returned from Africa. Probably not the same person, but it is here regardless. This person only had one vaccine.

"Just moments ago, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment confirmed the first Colorado case of the omicron variant," Polis said in a press conference. "It is somebody who just traveled to southern Africa and returned."

There was also a case in Minnesota, fully vaccinated and booster that apparently contracted it at a conference in NYC (no travel out of country)  so some community spread is occurring.

Some other data  that in SA they stated that they are seeing 3X the rate of reinfections (in those that had previously had Covid) then they saw with other strains. 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 5:48 AM, TeeRick said:

I am totally with you.  But sadly I would never fit into anything that I used to wear in those days.  I still remember my powder blue Nehru jacket.  OMG!😀  This would be good for a 60's theme cruise!

Ain't that the truth. When riding my motorcycle in the early seventies I wore a Levi denim jacket (which I still have) over a sweater. Today I can't even button up the jacket over a t-shirt @ 6'1" and 190lbs.

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Cruisecritic is a private site owned by TripAdvisor (I think) and they can allow and reject anything they want. It’s us who have the choice to stay and follow their rules, or leave 

yes yes yes....(rolling eyes). If they don't allow discussion they may as well just become a collection of FAQs...that's the point I was making.

45 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

yes yes yes....(rolling eyes). If they don't allow discussion they may as well just become a collection of FAQs...that's the point I was making.

They are also a TA that profits from the booking of cruises.

2 hours ago, nocl said:

There was also a case in Minnesota, fully vaccinated and booster that apparently contracted it at a conference in NYC (no travel out of country)  so some community spread is occurring.

Some other data  that in SA they stated that they are seeing 3X the rate of reinfections (in those that had previously had Covid) then they saw with other strains. 

All these re-infected and breakthrough cases with this variant, makes one wonder if one should just get it and get it over with, given the fact that vaccination would prevent severe disease anyway.

46 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

All these re-infected and breakthrough cases with this variant, makes one wonder if one should just get it and get it over with, given the fact that vaccination would prevent severe disease anyway.

Need to see how serious the cases end up being.  Number of hospitalizations occurring in SA, including young children.  In a couple of weeks they should some details on the percentage of cases in non-vaccinated, previously infected and vaccinated groups.  

In the US the cases seem to be mild symptoms, but not a large enough number of cases for a good understanding yet.

9 hours ago, ebeluga said:

Would you give that advice to someone who is elderly or immunocompromised?

9 hours ago, ebeluga said:

The thing is you just never know if you’ll be the one who is the outlier. My daughter is 32 and otherwise healthy was very sick for 6 months with Covid. Thankfully she’s better now.