Royal's ships 2023/24

1 hour ago, fairywren said:

As expected, Isle of Pines has been cancelled for Brilliance next April - we’re now going to Mystery Island instead.

Not fussed either way having been to both multiple times.

Mare has also been cancelled for the season for those ships that were heading there. If only they would commit to a bit of Fiji.

@springaussie

I have been chatting with people in the know and apparently the reason we aren’t getting a second ship in Sydney next season is because of emissions and fuel burn .

Apparently we won’t be getting any more ships until the fleet can get the fuel burn down.

Can I drop you a message?

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

@springaussie

I have been chatting with people in the know and apparently the reason we aren’t getting a second ship in Sydney next season is because of emissions and fuel burn .

Apparently we won’t be getting any more ships until the fleet can get the fuel burn down.

Thanks 

Feel free to send a message Chilli! 

31 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

@springaussie

Thanks Chilli,  always read your comments on RC.  Most of the posts here are related to Princess.  They are not too happy with the amount of their corkage?   My 4 free drinks sounds a lot better…,ha ha…Princess ..l Apologise.

Eileen

16 minutes ago, Cruisers47 said:

Thanks Chilli,  always read your comments on RC.  Most of the posts here are related to Princess.  They are not too happy with the amount of their corkage?   My 4 free drinks sounds a lot better…,ha ha…Princess ..l Apologise.

Eileen

Yeah I know,this forum is dominated by the Princess crowd.Don’t go upsetting them.

I just come here to troll  @gbenjo and he loves it . We have a kind of a love hate relationship. 

Edited by Chiliburn

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Yeah I know,this forum is dominated by the Princess crowd.

I just come here to troll  @gbenjo and he loves it . We have a kind of a love hate relationship. 

Haha..,I know that was naughty of me.   I have actually been on 2 Princess cruises, given I am from Melbourne,   but not too difficulty to get to Sydney,   Frequently flyer points make it all possible.   

look forward to more info.

thanks

Eileen

• Like 1

Apparently this is why we are only going to have 2 Royal Caribbean ships in Australia next season.

This video is pretty heavy but it explains how shipping companies have to meet global emissions in detail.

Royal Caribbean have to reduce emissions every year across the fleet as a whole and with the long distances in our cruise market ,we will suffer. Over the coming seasons ships will be moving to more efficient destinations,which we aren’t.

Next season you will notice reduced speeds like Sydney to Noumea will take 3 days instead of 2 . More days in ports and skipping ports.

Carnival will be affected so it’s going to be a big thing for all of us.

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Royal Caribbean have to reduce emissions every year across the fleet as a whole and with the long distances in our cruise market ,we will suffer. Over the coming seasons ships will be moving to more efficient destinations,which we aren’t.

Next season you will notice reduced speeds like Sydney to Noumea will take 3 days instead of 2 . More days in ports and skipping ports.

Carnival will be affected so it’s going to be a big thing for all of us.

Maybe that explains why Princess have increased the number of sea days from 3 to 4 this year travelling from Melbourne to Auckland. They never seemed to have trouble making the trip in 3 days in previous years.

• Like 1

Thanks @Chiliburn. I will watch this in full a bit later.

There has been quite a few itineraries that have been lengthened by a day over the past handful of years. The standard 7 night P&O Pacific Island cruise from Brisbane used to always visit Port Vila, but Mystery Island is closer and less fuel burn. Quantum on a similar itinerary is already at 8 nights, and there are many more slow speed cruises to nowhere than ever before. The cost of fuel is also a driver, and new LNG ships across the fleet will also help to offset their numbers. 

It prompts a few of questions:

Has Royal taken the ship away so it can cruise somewhere else where it will burn less fuel, sacrificing our market so they can operate "as normal" for most of their fleet?

It isn't just about fuel burn, but carbon emissions. Why are they taking away the GTV ship?

Will the cruise lines need to cap their number of ships, as they seem to be building plenty?

Will older and "dirtier" ships be retired early?

Can much of all this be achieved just by using cleaner fuels?

Could they just end up charging each passenger a levy for carbon offset?

2 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Maybe that explains why Princess have increased the number of sea days from 3 to 4 this year travelling from Melbourne to Auckland. They never seemed to have trouble making the trip in 3 days in previous years.

It’s about the only way they can reduce emissions,take their foot of the pedal.

I don’t know if P&O Australia can  get around the heavy fines.As it’s only operating in Australia.

28 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Thanks @Chiliburn. I will watch this in full a bit later.

There has been quite a few itineraries that have been lengthened by a day over the past handful of years. The standard 7 night P&O Pacific Island cruise from Brisbane used to always visit Port Vila, but Mystery Island is closer and less fuel burn. Quantum on a similar itinerary is already at 8 nights, and there are many more slow speed cruises to nowhere than ever before. The cost of fuel is also a driver, and new LNG ships across the fleet will also help to offset their numbers. 

It prompts a few of questions:

Has Royal taken the ship away so it can cruise somewhere else where it will burn less fuel, sacrificing our market so they can operate "as normal" for most of their fleet?

It isn't just about fuel burn, but carbon emissions. Why are they taking away the GTV ship?

Will the cruise lines need to cap their number of ships, as they seem to be building plenty?

Will older and "dirtier" ships be retired early?

Can much of all this be achieved just by using cleaner fuels?

Could they just end up charging each passenger a levy for carbon offset?

I know that video is long and boring but it’s very interesting.

I would like to share a couple of emails but have been asked not to.

Brilliance being a older ship will be deployed where there’s short runs and long port days such as the Caribbean.

Its all about averaging carbon emissions per tonne across the fleet.

From what I understand a ship like Icon that runs on LNG doing short runs out of Miami and lots of port days can offset an older ship. So how long those older ships remain viable is an interesting question.

Charging a carbon offset might work in the short term but each year on year they have to reduce emissions more .

There’s some big fines out there,I believe Hapag lloyde is looking at a 100 million euro fine for not meeting emissions and they are sort of part of Royal I believe.

This probably explains all of those Ports missed last season Geoff .

Oh , we have emitted to much carbon,let’s just float around for a day and blame the Rhino Beatles.

Edited by Chiliburn

13 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I know that video is long and boring but it’s very interesting.

I would like to share a couple of emails but have been asked not to.

Brilliance being a older ship will be deployed where there’s short runs and long port days such as the Caribbean.

Its all about averaging carbon emissions per tonne across the fleet.

From what I understand a ship like Icon that runs on LNG doing short runs out of Miami and lots of port days can offset an older ship. So how long those older ships remain viable is an interesting question.

Charging a carbon offset might work in the short term but each year on year they have to reduce emissions more .

There’s some big fines out there,I believe Hapag lloyde is looking at a 100 million euro fine for not meeting emissions and they are sort of part of Royal I believe.

This probably explains all of those Ports missed last season Geoff .

Oh , we have emitted to much carbon,let’s just float around for a day and blame the Rhino Beatles.

Rhino beetles are leading the fight on carbon emissions from cruise ships. What little heroes. Nature is also fighting back when barnacles latch themselves onto passing hulls to cause the ship another day at anchor.

For a future of LNG ships, I don't know if Sydney will have enough demand to bunker LNG ships. Port Botany and Newcastle are planning LNG facilities, so they might be able to offset Icon and spend a day in one of those ports to refuel.

30 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Rhino beetles are leading the fight on carbon emissions from cruise ships. What little heroes. Nature is also fighting back when barnacles latch themselves onto passing hulls to cause the ship another day at anchor.

For a future of LNG ships, I don't know if Sydney will have enough demand to bunker LNG ships. Port Botany and Newcastle are planning LNG facilities, so they might be able to offset Icon and spend a day in one of those ports to refuel.

Port Kembla has LNG storage . Tauranga has ship LNG refuelling facilities .

But LNG is only a short term solution. They HAVE to be carbon neutral by 2050 and there going to be a lot of unhappy cruisers between now and then.

21 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Port Kembla has LNG storage . Tauranga has ship LNG refuelling facilities .

But LNG is only a short term solution. They HAVE to be carbon neutral by 2050 and there going to be a lot of unhappy cruisers between now and then.

They can be carbon neutral by buying offsets. 

There could also be Lithium of the Seas and Cobalt Princess before too long.

https://www.dailycardinal.com/article/2022/11/elon-musk-announces-tesla-cruise-ship

Musky X Voyages may be a little ways off, but there is a Chinese battery powered river cruise ship due to go into service any week. 

https://tvbrics.com/en/news/china-s-first-electric-cruise-ship-to-be-launched-at-the-end-of-the-year/

• Thanks 1

Actually, scratch that Tesla ship. When I first read it, I thought it was a well considered concept, but it has too many holes.

It is supposed to be able to charge on the run with solar and wind, something that isn't possible on a smaller scale with his cars. Cold ironing in ports will surely be needed. Secondly, the Musk concept ship is to be autonomous and pre-programmed to dock at the next port. Well, they just aren't going to allow it to sail under those arrangements, and very few ports will allow a ship to come in that isn't being managed by one of their pilots.

Edited by arxcards

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

Actually, scratch that Tesla ship. When I first read it, I thought it was a well considered concept, but it has too many holes.

It is supposed to be able to charge on the run with solar and wind, something that isn't possible on a smaller scale with his cars. Cold ironing in ports will surely be needed. Secondly, the Musk concept ship is to be autonomous and pre-programmed to dock at the next port. Well, they just aren't going to allow it to sail under those arrangements, and very few ports will allow a ship to come in that isn't being managed by one of their pilots.

No ,a battery powered ship doesn’t add up ,maybe some storage to get into environmental areas like Milford Sound or the Norwegian fiords.

I think our on short term solution  ,a biofuel or a mix like E 10 would help to comply with emissions.

On the upside of all this we might get some newer ships that run on LNG . They could be split between Australian and Singapore.

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

Doesn’t sound promising for 3 ports on a South Pacific cruise from Brisbane.

P&O have missed the afternoon visit on day 3 at Noumea a few times recently because of delayed Brisbane departures. 

I think we can forget about Lelepa with these carbon emissions.  
We might be lucky to retain 2 ships with limited ports in the future.

No wonder the Americans are complaining about the flood of 3 night cruises from Florida that just go to coco cay and another port.

• Like 1