Cell Phones -what mode to not get charged but still receive via WiFi?

mattR

Not very cell phone smart.  How do I use my cell phone in the US and not be charged by my provider?  I understand I won't be able to make or receive calls to my regular phone number, what about texts do those still work?  I assume that I can use the internet, e-mail and apps as long as I have WiFi.  I'm thinking I put the phone in airplane mode but wasn't sure what all that mode shutsdown? 

Generally Airplane mode will turn off all broadcast antenna. One can subsequently turn on WiFi to enable that functionality. If you use Bluetooth it too can be turned on after going into Airplane mode.

Without a special app, texts require a cello network.

Some phones and cell providers support WiFi calling. This provides cellular like service using WiFi. Check with your provider.

In airplane mode usually the time will not automatically adjust as one visits different time zones.

Cell phones differ a fair bit. Your provider should be able to answer model specific questions.

7 hours ago, broberts said:

Without a special app, texts require a cello network

iMessage and FaceTime uses data, and work on wi-fi. (I assume that the extension of FaceTime to Android phones wouldn't qualify; it probably uses the cellular network.)

.  The easiest  to remember, turn on Airplane Mode. ,  Your  cellular will go off and the phone will go into wifi mode.  With the ships basic plan. you will be able to text., send pics.  You will not receive phone calls while in Airplane mode but  If you want to call home, use a wi-fi service (WhatsApp) .to place calls, although   It may be spotty, as the bandwidth is not always  strong on ships. 

Edited by Missymo

23 minutes ago, mattR said:

Dose turning off cellular data stop phone calls and texts aswell?  I will be charged if I get a phone call or text correct.

Likely correct (depends on carrier and plan). Turning off cellular data does not affect phone calls or sms texts.

I'm much like MattR.  I will only need my phone to connect with my transfer company so will only make or receive a couple of calls or texts.  My Freedom plan has a US roaming rate and I don't mind paying .50 cents a minute for that but how do I make sure that the phone is on but not get charged for data etc?

Edited by macmax

22 hours ago, mattR said:

Dose turning off cellular data stop phone calls and texts aswell?  I will be charged if I get a phone call or text correct.

24 minutes ago, macmax said:

I'm much like MattR.  I will only need my phone to connect with my transfer company so will only make or receive a couple of calls or texts.  My Freedom plan has a US roaming rate and I don't mind paying .50 cents a minute for that but how do I make sure that the phone is on but not get charged for data etc?

If you just turn cellular data off, you can continue to send and receive phone calls, but data (emails, notifications, app updates, etc.) will be restricted to Wi-Fi.

You might want to read this CC report:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

Edited by Fouremco

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

If you just turn cellular data off, you can continue to send and receive phone calls, but data (emails, notifications, app updates, etc.) will be restricted to Wi-Fi.

You might want to read this CC report:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752

Thanks Fouremco thats just the information I was looking for.

I managed quite nicely with a flip phone and a Roam Mobility sim card for a few years until Covid put them out of business a year ago. 

• Like 1