Stay in Harvest Caye or take ferry for excursion?

bigrednole

I am looking at our itinerary. We go to Cozumel and Roatan first. We plan to take a snorkel excursion in Cozumel to 3 reefs. In Roatan we are going to West Bay for the day at the beach and I will snorkel the reefs there. May even take a scuba dive near that big edge. Harvest Caye is before Costa Maya which will just do as a beach day. As I look at Harvest Caye, it is an all expense stop. Nothing is covered and the prices are quite high. Trying to decide if it is worth taking the ferry to Placencia for excursions or just stay at Harvest Caye and limit what we spend and go back to the ship for lunch and drinks.

47 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

I am looking at our itinerary. We go to Cozumel and Roatan first. We plan to take a snorkel excursion in Cozumel to 3 reefs. In Roatan we are going to West Bay for the day at the beach and I will snorkel the reefs there. May even take a scuba dive near that big edge. Harvest Caye is before Costa Maya which will just do as a beach day. As I look at Harvest Caye, it is an all expense stop. Nothing is covered and the prices are quite high. Trying to decide if it is worth taking the ferry to Placencia for excursions or just stay at Harvest Caye and limit what we spend and go back to the ship for lunch and drinks.

Its a real shame they don't stop in Belize City anymore. I was there three times, their were a number of awesome full day excursion

Looking into past threads, it seems like there was once a RT ferry to Placencia that you could book at the shore excursion desk on the boat. Does anyone know if this still the case? I would hate to book an outside vendor and end up missing the ship due to the ferry being late. 

37 minutes ago, complawyer said:

take the ferry, definitely.  if that wasnt a choice, i'd stay on the ship. we've been to the caye before, and i wouldnt even bother

I was kind of getting that feeling. We went to Amber Cove the other day. It was not that great of a stop (we didn't do an excursion). I was getting the feeling Harvest Caye is similar.

We are cruising in 10  days.  Have shore excursions planned for all ports except Harvest Caye.   We are going to take a look around then head back to the ship.  A little shopping, looking at the small "zoo" and that is about it.

• Like 2

I suppose it depends what you're wanting.  We had a wonderful time at Harvest Caye on our last cruise.

The swimming pool area was just incredible. We got a few loungers and just kicked back and enjoyed the sun, drinks and the pool, appreciating that we weren't back in freezing Illinois.. That's what we were looking for when we booked the cruise!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Harvest Caye is our 3rd port day. We will be doing heavy snorkeling the two port days before that in Cozumel and Roatan. I did see the ferry and it is $25pp RT. Then the excursions are about $125pp. It gets too pricey, so we will just stay in HC for this trip to see how it is. May do the zipline. I am a cheaperton. Why pay $15-$20pp for a lunch when the ship is right there to get a free meal. Add in a drink here and there, it could be up to $100 when free is a few hundred feet away.

Thank you all for the feedback.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:23 PM, MtnCliner said:

I suppose it depends what you're wanting.  We had a wonderful time at Harvest Caye on our last cruise.

The swimming pool area was just incredible. We got a few loungers and just kicked back and enjoyed the sun, drinks and the pool, appreciating that we weren't back in freezing Illinois.. That's what we were looking for when we booked the cruise!

Agree. We LOVED Harvest Caye. Walked the beach, lounged around on the chairs and in the pool, went parasailing. Yes we had to buy drinks and we did buy lunch.  I would go back again for sure, might have been our favorite day of that cruise!

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

We took the ferry, and just wandered around the town- bought some real cheap beers and had cheap massages. I also love to look in Supermarkets in every country I go to. Just to see how the locals live.

• Like 1

Harvest Caye is one of our favorite stops.  The ship usually docks right at the port. We love the pool and have the beach available if we want. We cruise to relax so sitting by the pool for a sunny day is a great day for us. Other ports are great for excursions and seeing what there is to offer. Harvest Caye is where my inner sloth gets priority. 

If I get hungry or thirsty, food and drink are available. Or I can walk the 5 minutes back to the ship to get free food and drink.  My metal insolated cup does a great job of keeping my "free" drink cold while lounging at the pool. And I get a couple steps when I walk to the ship for a refill. 

All things considered, it is a great beach day without having the hassle or cost of traveling to a beach destination. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know if NCL offers a ferry to Placencia or if you need to take the ferry there. I am concerned about time and almost was left on an island off Belize City and do not want to repeat that experience! I look forward to hearing from anyone who has used ferries to Placencia.

19 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Does anyone have information on how to take the ferry? Seems like there is nothing to do at Harvest Caye outside of ship excursions or just hanging out at the pool and buying food? 

Well,,, it is marketed as a Private Island and intended to be a beach day. NCL stopped calling at Belize City which was more of a "normal" port call in favor of their Private Island. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 10:11 PM, saffy22 said:

We took the ferry, and just wandered around the town- bought some real cheap beers and had cheap massages. I also love to look in Supermarkets in every country I go to. Just to see how the locals live.

What year was it and how do you take it/find out more info? I've been told that maybe the ship will have info but there are no excursions and the only articles I find are before covid...

5 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

What year was it and how do you take it/find out more info? I've been told that maybe the ship will have info but there are no excursions and the only articles I find are before covid...

Perhaps availability of excursions are limited on your cruise due to timing.  If you are close to cruise date, things could be sold-out.  If your cruise is more than 6 months in the future, excursions might not be added yet.

I am able to see excursions from Harvest Caye available for a January 2023 cruise.  However, I did NOT find any listing for a ferry.  They possibly have already sold-out, or, are not offered online.  I can't honesty say, since we have never tried to leave HC for any excursions.  

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, janetz said:

What do you mean, use your ship card to pay?

Once your off the ship?
Sorry, but I have never heard of such a thing 

Harvest Caye is an NCL owned, but primarily operated by Belizean citizens, as a deal NCL was required to make in order to complete their plans for the island.

Therefore, all NCL excursions on Harvest Caye are made with ship card (if not pre-purchased).  If you wish to leave Harvest Caye to get to Plascencia, you have to use NCL sponsored ferryboat.

Not sure your level of ability, but doing the Superman zip line on Harvest Caye was amazing for

us.  We also enjoyed the pool with pool bar.  Unlike NCL;s other private islands though, your

drink package does NOT follow you here.

Edited by Seanair
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tache said:

You have to get the ferry when you get off the ship(can't reserve on the ship).  You use your ship card to pay.

You are responding to a question asked in 2021. Hopefully the OP has already had a wonderful cruise with fond memories of Harvest Caye.