Another Problem for Canadian Cruisers

Fouremco

4 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

Our return flight is from FLL to YYZ then to YYC. Would the isolation be at YYZ or at YYC? Common sense says YYC since that's the final airport - (and we still have to drive to SE BC to get to our home) but sometimes common sense is not so common. 🙂

Based on earlier quarantine protocols, it would be YYZ. It would make little sense to allow a possibly positive passenger to fly on to YYC and spread the virus to passengers on the connecting domestic flight.

That said, we await the details.

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

From tonight's Globe and Mail emailed Evening Update:

Air travellers could wait up to three days in isolation for on-arrival COVID-19 test result in Canada

Travellers arriving in Canada from countries other than the United States can expect to isolate for as many as three days while they wait for their COVID-19 test results, part of Ottawa’s evolving strategy to slow the spread of the Omicron variant. 

The new on-arrival testing rule for air travellers was first announced Tuesday in a suite of new measures. However, the details of its implementation were still foggy Wednesday, with the country’s major airports waiting for more information and the government not saying when the rule will be fully in place. 

Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos said travellers will either be tested at the airport or given one to take at home in isolation. He said the expected “service standard” to receive a test result is three days, but at the moment the majority of tests come back in a day. That could change, he cautioned, as the government increases the number of travellers being tested by more than 50 per cent. 

The government said the on-arrival test and isolation rule will apply to all travellers who have been in a country other than the U.S. in the past 14 days – even if they arrive in Canada via the U.S.

So, for all of us with Caribbean cruises coming up, be prepared for a period of isolation upon return after taking a second PCR test. 

Deleted

Edited by Djsmrs

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Based on earlier quarantine protocols, it would be YYZ. It would make little sense to allow a possibly positive passenger to fly on to YYC and spread the virus to passengers on the connecting domestic flight.

That said, we await the details.

Yikes! Our connecting flight would have to be cancelled in that case, and accommodation found in YYZ. At this point, I deeply regret having made final payment. These changes have come post final payment. What a mess.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/history-search

For those that might be thinking about "forgetting" they went on a cruise, in the above website, you can search or entry and exit out of the US.  For cruises it will show an exit and enter only in the US.  I don't know what they see on their screen when they scan your passport, but if this information is freely available on line, they must be able to tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

If you go through Air Canada site, and put in your flight details (or mock details) it will give you the requirements and links to the sources (such as CDC) as well as the date it was last updated (currently last updated Dec 02). I find it a useful place to review both in and out requirements for our flight dates and airports.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/entryRequirements

Yes, it has been helpful - but it also is not all encompassing.  I also use the IATA site for verifying travel and entry requirements.  It does not speak to details in full particularly for the arrival testing.  Specifically, clarity on arrivals from the US with cruise vacations or visits to other countries. I am interested in seeing if the government use the term flights from the US are exempt from testing, or if they state travel strictly confined to the US.  The wording is key.    

Edited by wendycook22
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Magicat said:

For those that might be thinking about "forgetting" they went on a cruise, in the above website, you can search or entry and exit out of the US.  For cruises it will show an exit and enter only in the US.  I don't know what they see on their screen when they scan your passport, but if this information is freely available on line, they must be able to tell.

It’s much better to be honest, especially if you are a Nexus holder.   My problem is getting so flustered by the imagined or real imposing statures of these fellows that I forget everything. Guess I should write it down before arriving at their station. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

I’d love to hear about your experience on arrival. Our family is flying YUL to FLL on Dec 24 for a Dec 26 B2B cruise on a Royal ship. Making sure I cover and plan for all the recent requirements, which are now slightly different from when we cruised in August. After arriving in Montreal, we need to drive home to Orleans/Ottawa. I think that we will be allowed to drive straight home and isolate for up to 3 days until we get the test results. 

That's how it was earlier in the pandemic for land crossings at least. You were allowed to drive straight home, no stopping, and isolate. Of course, no one followed you home so, theoretically one could clandestinely meet up with someone, a sibling for example, to  drop off a new driver that was only available in the States. Theoretically, of course. 🤫

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RealBatman said:

Our return flight is from FLL to YYZ then to YYC. Would the isolation be at YYZ or at YYC? Common sense says YYC since that's the final airport - (and we still have to drive to SE BC to get to our home) but sometimes common sense is not so common. 🙂

Currently, IF selected for random testing, you can take your connecting flight and not have to quarantine. Obviously, things are changing by the minute but this is how things stand at the moment. Link

0203AA8D-F0A3-413E-AA50-326E4376A51D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DHP1 said:

So you get off the ship get tested (PCR), fly home all in the “same day” and when you arrive back in Canada you get tested again???  That doesn’t make sense. Two test in one day. 

Yes.  

Princess offers testing at the port, after you collect your luggage.  

We usually fly home same day, but this time we are staying one night, just in case the lineup for the test  is long, or the results are delayed.  

I guess this is a blanket rule that doesn't consider all the different circumstances of individuals travelling.  I think many people, cruising or not, will be tested twice in one day.   

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

If you go through Air Canada site, and put in your flight details (or mock details) it will give you the requirements and links to the sources (such as CDC) as well as the date it was last updated (currently last updated Dec 02). I find it a useful place to review both in and out requirements for our flight dates and airports.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/entryRequirements

Doesn't look updated yet.  Still says 72 hours for test going into US for January trip.  

I think it will take a bit of time for the new info to be processed and updated.   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Currently, IF selected for random testing, you can take your connecting flight and not have to quarantine. Obviously, things are changing by the minute but this is how things stand at the moment. Link

0203AA8D-F0A3-413E-AA50-326E4376A51D.jpeg

This is helpful - but I take it with a grain of salt as they are referring to the randomized testing process and not the current rules of testing all who travelled somewhere other than the US.   I hope beyond hope this is the case as we will be coming home and connecting from Orlando through Toronto to get to Vancouver.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Thanks for the link, it does a great job of reinforcing the point I was making in post #4. 

While CBSA doesn't offer a similar online record that you can access, you can request a written report. For a general idea of the information gathered and retained by CBSA, and with whom it is shared, check this link:  https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/eedcu-cudes-eng.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

That being said, I will be really surprised if Canadians  coming in on US based flight from a cruise are going to be tested. 

This is already happening - I have friends recently returned from a cruise and had the dreaded 'red' sticker on her passport and had to be tested at the airport - despite having a negative test in hand (from the cruiseline) taken the day before!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Froufie said:

This is already happening - I have friends recently returned from a cruise and had the dreaded 'red' sticker on her passport and had to be tested at the airport - despite having a negative test in hand (from the cruiseline) taken the day before!

Did your friend(s) confirm if that was due to random selection or if it was across the board protocol being enforced?  

19 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

This is helpful - but I take it with a grain of salt as they are referring to the randomized testing process and not the current rules of testing all who travelled somewhere other than the US.   I hope beyond hope this is the case as we will be coming home and connecting from Orlando through Toronto to get to Vancouver.

These *are* the current rules. At some point, based on latest available evidence, we may see new rules. Right now, only those who have been to one of the 10 prohibited countries within the last 14 days will be subject to enhanced screening.  Plus randoms, of course.  I had a random two weeks ago, and probably will again. 

Edited by *Miss G*

7 minutes ago, wendycook22 said:

Did your friend(s) confirm if that was due to random selection or if it was across the board protocol being enforced?  

It was random selection but it seems that may now be doing this for everyone - but I do hope that is not the case!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

These *are* the current rules. At some point, based on latest available evidence, we may see new rules. Right now, only those who have been to one of the 10 prohibited countries within the last 14 days will be subject to enhanced screening.  Plus randoms, of course.  I had a random two weeks ago, and probably will again. 

Yes - sorry - but the rules will be changing when all international travelers will be tested except for those from the US.   So while this is true today we're trying to figure out what to do with a return trip on Dec 21.  The random testing doesn't bother me - it's if we have to test in YYZ, then wait for results before coming home to YVR.  If I harken back to when the borders first opened you had to hold up where you landed as you waited for test results.   ugh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RealBatman said:

"Common sense" says YYZ the port of entry is where isolation will occur. The entire point of isolation is to protect others from possible infection. Allowing a possibly infected person to board a domestic flight, YYZ / YYC, makes no sense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, broberts said:

"Common sense" says YYZ the port of entry is where isolation will occur. The entire point of isolation is to protect others from possible infection. Allowing a possibly infected person to board a domestic flight, YYZ / YYC, makes no sense.

“Isolation” does that mean at government assigned hotel or at home ( no further flight connections)?

Edited by DHP1

It's also confusing because there is reference to "isolation at destination"... which destination?  Final or layover?   And if you've already been tested on the day of the flight this just seems ridiculous

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Djsmrs said:

It's also confusing because there is reference to "isolation at destination"... which destination?  Final or layover?   And if you've already been tested on the day of the flight this just seems ridiculous

I totally agree with you. I guess we won’t know until next week. 

8 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

“Isolation” does that mean at government assigned hotel or at home ( no further flight connections)?

If one is tested upon arrival self quarantine is required until a negative test. This typically means at traveller's expense.

My understanding of isolation is that a traveller has relatively free movement provided there is no contact with others not traveling together.

Our cruise is later this month, Panama.  If we cancel now we lose all our $ as there is no 'legitimate' reason to cancel.  There is NO direct flight to our home from LA so have to go via another Canadian airport.  We would NOT stay in a hotel there for a 3 day isolation at our expense so now what to do?  I guess we wait and hope things become clearer...

• Like 1