Travel Authorization for Bermuda

crystalaziza

Anyone who has had to do the Travel authorization for Bermuda, can you tell me your experiences. 4 of us are traveling to Bermuda 4/8/22 from Boston on the Pearl. My sister is really concerned about having a test come back false positive, and having too many variables that may hinder actually getting on the ship. Is she over reacting, or is she justified in her worries? By that time NCL is not testing at the pier any longer, so now we all need to get 1 4 days prior (for Bermuda) and 1 3 days before (for NCL) UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Short answer: April is a long way off.  We're assuming rules will change; and your sister is overreacting.

For context, as of today, there's a entire group of us on these boards trying to understand how/if Bermuda's recent announcement to allow antigen testing will find its way into the published guidance we've received from NCL as well into Bermuda's own website.  Our cruises are this month, in December. 

Looking ahead, iff there's a worry about false positives, take a more reliable PCR test as part of your Bermuda and NCL requirements.  The same test can be shared for both entities.  

11 minutes ago, crystalaziza said:

Anyone who has had to do the Travel authorization for Bermuda, can you tell me your experiences. 4 of us are traveling to Bermuda 4/8/22 from Boston on the Pearl. My sister is really concerned about having a test come back false positive, and having too many variables that may hinder actually getting on the ship. Is she over reacting, or is she justified in her worries? By that time NCL is not testing at the pier any longer, so now we all need to get 1 4 days prior (for Bermuda) and 1 3 days before (for NCL) UGH!!!!!!!!!!

The rules will likely change multiple times between now and April, so it makes no sense to get too worked up about it when you have no idea what the rules will actually be. Unfortunately the uncertainties of cruising in the current environment may not suit everyone's ability to tolerate stress.

But...if the rules were to stay as they are now stated, NCL cruises embarking in a US port on or after January 17, the date when NCL no longer will administer tests at the pier for no charge, will require a test taken no more than two days prior to embarkation, not three. 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

"Cruises with embarkation dates beginning January 17, 2022:
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference-Scarlett Concierge testing service - BioReference sends a qualified medical professional to you to conduct your test), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing."

im still trying to figure out what is needed in 5-6 days ....  smh   they changed the rules 3  days ago and there is no option for us to register with Bermuda on the gem so far and all i got was they will keep us posted.  Well why cut it so close and have ppl worry about if its needed to board the ship or not. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

Short answer: April is a long way off.  We're assuming rules will change; and your sister is overreacting.

For context, as of today, there's a entire group of us on these boards trying to understand how/if Bermuda's recent announcement to allow antigen testing will find its way into the published guidance we've received from NCL as well into Bermuda's own website.  Our cruises are this month, in December. 

Looking ahead, iff there's a worry about false positives, take a more reliable PCR test as part of your Bermuda and NCL requirements.  The same test can be shared for both entities.  

While antigen tests are less accurate than PCR, they actually err much more on the side of false NEGATIVES than they do false positives. In other words, they're more likely to make the mistake of saying you don't have COVID when you actually do have it.

When we went to Bermuda in October the testing results in our area were sometimes delayed longer than we needed them. So, to avoid problems we had three tests. If I had been non-symptomatic, and had both negative and positive results, I know which I would have submitted. 
Get a backup test.

3 hours ago, crystalaziza said:

Bottom line, totally over reacting. 10’s of thousands of passengers sail every week without issue. Don’t obsess about being the exception. 

Why have rules and a process if no one is following them?! This is so frustrating and cause for anxiety for many. Very poor management and communication : ( Literally, there is no way to get authorization from Bermuda for our trip. Insane. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HerSpirit said:

Why have rules and a process if no one is following them?! This is so frustrating and cause for anxiety for many. Very poor management and communication : ( Literally, there is no way to get authorization from Bermuda for our trip. Insane. 

Who isn't following the rules? This isn't NCL's problem, it's Bermuda's . They determine what is required and have failed to update their procedures to match their publicized testing requirements changes. NCL can't tell you what to do when Bermuda hasn't told NCL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Who isn't following the rules? This isn't NCL's problem, it's Bermuda's . They determine what is required and have failed to update their procedures to match their publicized testing requirements changes. NCL can't tell you what to do when Bermuda hasn't told NCL.

I am blaming Bermuda - and NCL for not updating us to this mess. Let's hope that the name of the ship shows up on the authorization site very soon. According to NCL, we should have been able to start this process long ago.

• Like 1

The OP asked for experiences so here they are… We sail in six days from NYC on the Gem.  

It has been reported in the press that Bermuda recently changed from a PCR test requirement to an Antigen test requirement, but they have not made that official on the website yet.  A fellow cruiser spoke to someone at Bermuda Tourism and was told over the phone that Antigen tests would be accepted for our cruise, but we’re not counting on that to be the case.  

We have two PCR tests scheduled … Sunday & Monday.  One of those tests is our “insurance” against overly delayed results.  We’re not switching to an Antigen test based on a phone call or a news article… we’re staying the course with PCR.  PCR is considered the “gold standard” anyway.

The Bermuda website hasn’t been updated to allow us to choose our specific cruise and proceed with filling out the form online for the $75 Bermudian Travel Authorization yet however, we were told that it would be ready by this coming Sunday.  Monday is the day we’re supposed to have the $75 pp fee paid, the online forms filled out, and our test results uploaded.  A couple of days after that, we’re supposed to have our authorizations sent to us via email to take with us to the pier.

If for some reason the website isn’t updated and we can’t make our applications in time, or if we don’t receive our authorization by the sail date the Bermuda Tourism board has representatives standing by at the pier, or at least they did on previous NCL cruises that left out of NYC.  They were there for people who didn’t fully follow the instructions to the letter.  If it didn’t work for us it didn’t work for everyone else traveling on our ship - I’m pretty confident something will be done at the pier to allow us to sail.

If that weren’t enough, we’re also scheduled via NCL to have an Antigen and PCR test taken at the pier.  The Antigen test is a pre-boarding test required by NCL, the PCR test is an additional test required by Bermuda.  

Yes you read all that right… right now, three Covid tests and a $75 Bermudian pre-authorization via a broken website are required to sail to Bermuda!  That was the subject of the newspaper article… making it easier for visitors come to Bermuda.

So yeah, it’s pretty messed up right now for us and anxiety levels are pretty high but I’m reasonably sure they’ll get their @#$& together by April 2022.

Edited by DenGNNJ
  • Like 1

I sailed on Breakaway NY to Bermuda in October.

Bermuda had (and continues to have) stricter COVID test requirements and thus Bermuda's testing timetable published on the Bermuda Travel Authority website was followed, and the type of test that was required - PCR only not antigen - was required.

I presume that in 2022, this will continue to be true and NCL will adapt to the stricter test requirements of a port of call if they choose to visit it.

Bermuda had the stricter requirements in October to date, and I presume that Bermuda will continue have a stricter testing policy than NCL in 2022. I would not rely on reports of Bermuda relaxing their test requirements from unofficial sources.

Hypothetically, let's say that NCL continues to relax their testing requirements and that NCL will, in general, only require passengers to take an antigen or PCR test days prior to embarkation, either upload the negative test result to NCL or or present it at the pier, and that they will no longer administer a test at the pier.  I presume that Bermuda will still have stricter test requirements and require the more accurate of the two types of tests - a PCR test.  Either Bermuda will continue to require passengers take their own PCR test a few days before embarkation, OR an antigen+PCR test at the pier administered by NCL testing partner, OR both. NCL will have to adopt or adapt to Bermuda's stricter test requirement if they want to sail to Bermuda or they will change the port of call... Any fortune teller care to predict Florida and the Bahamas? Ugh.

Should Bermuda continue to have the stricter requirements, and NCL chooses to follow them, then it's a matter of you ensuring that you get your own PCR test done at a lab capable of returning the results with the timetable. It's up to you the passenger to find such a lab (with the help of fellow CC passengers etc.). Some CC members chose to pay extra out of pocket for such a lab. Some CC members chose to take multiple tests with different labs so they have a backup. Others like me are lucky enough to live near a lab capable of returning results in 24 hours and covered by insurance.

As others on CC said, there is an agent from the Bermuda Travel authority at the pier who will also be on the ship to assist people with getting their authorization. However, there are CC members who report that many people have been denied boarding. I don't recall for what reason. I presume the agent is there only to help people apply for and expedite the travel authorization only if they have their proof of vaccination AND their negative PCR test result in hand. Maybe someone can confirm this. I would be surprised if the agent will do anything to help people who show up without proof of vaccination or negative PCR test. NCL sends several emails to passengers with the test requirements and a human being from NCL (not a robocaller) called us a couple of times to inform and remind us of the test requirement well before embarkation day.  So there's no excuse for arriving at the port uninformed about the proof of vaccination and test requirement.

P.S. Should Bermuda actually relax their test requirement and only require an  antigen test and you test positive before your cruise, then retest again by taking both an antigen and PCR test hoping one of them will come back negative. A PCR test result would be trusted over an antigen test result but not vice versa.

Edited by kylenyc

No new news , hopefully by monday, I was hoping ncl can send our quick tests at port and we didnt have to Register with Bermuda before handbecause then its nearly the same thing as getting an appointment and results back a few days sooner. 

Edited by seaman11

Amen, seaman11. 

It's an absolute no-brainer for the NCL antigen test at the pier to not only serve the NCL protocol but also do double duty and satisfy the Bermuda one.  Fine, charge my credit card at the pier for Bermuda's authorization fee.  Everyone's happy.

Gotta assume it's so sensible that someone from NCL has to be hammering that out with Bermuda authorities.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kylenyc said:

I sailed on Breakaway NY to Bermuda in October.

Bermuda had (and continues to have) stricter COVID test requirements and thus Bermuda's testing timetable published on the Bermuda Travel Authority website was followed, and the type of test that was required - PCR only not antigen - was required.

I presume that in 2022, this will continue to be true and NCL will adapt to the stricter test requirements of a port of call if they choose to visit it.

Bermuda had the stricter requirements in October to date, and I presume that Bermuda will continue have a stricter testing policy than NCL in 2022. I would not rely on reports of Bermuda relaxing their test requirements from unofficial sources.

Hypothetically, let's say that NCL continues to relax their testing requirements and that NCL will, in general, only require passengers to take an antigen or PCR test days prior to embarkation, either upload the negative test result to NCL or or present it at the pier, and that they will no longer administer a test at the pier.  I presume that Bermuda will still have stricter test requirements and require the more accurate of the two types of tests - a PCR test.  Either Bermuda will continue to require passengers take their own PCR test a few days before embarkation, OR an antigen+PCR test at the pier administered by NCL testing partner, OR both. NCL will have to adopt or adapt to Bermuda's stricter test requirement if they want to sail to Bermuda or they will change the port of call... Any fortune teller care to predict Florida and the Bahamas? Ugh.

Should Bermuda continue to have the stricter requirements, and NCL chooses to follow them, then it's a matter of you ensuring that you get your own PCR test done at a lab capable of returning the results with the timetable. It's up to you the passenger to find such a lab (with the help of fellow CC passengers etc.). Some CC members chose to pay extra out of pocket for such a lab. Some CC members chose to take multiple tests with different labs so they have a backup. Others like me are lucky enough to live near a lab capable of returning results in 24 hours and covered by insurance.

As others on CC said, there is an agent from the Bermuda Travel authority at the pier who will also be on the ship to assist people with getting their authorization. However, there are CC members who report that many people have been denied boarding. I don't recall for what reason. I presume the agent is there only to help people apply for and expedite the travel authorization only if they have their proof of vaccination AND their negative PCR test result in hand. Maybe someone can confirm this. I would be surprised if the agent will do anything to help people who show up without proof of vaccination or negative PCR test. NCL sends several emails to passengers with the test requirements and a human being from NCL (not a robocaller) called us a couple of times to inform and remind us of the test requirement well before embarkation day.  So there's no excuse for arriving at the port uninformed about the proof of vaccination and test requirement.

P.S. Should Bermuda actually relax their test requirement and only require an  antigen test and you test positive before your cruise, then retest again by taking both an antigen and PCR test hoping one of them will come back negative. A PCR test result would be trusted over an antigen test result but not vice versa.

The reports of allowing antigen tests have not come from unofficial sources, but from the government of Bermuda at its highest level. The premier, David Burt, made the announcement and the health minister, Kim Wilson stated:  "the island’s travel rules are under review to help make the island more attractive to visitors. She said: “We are looking at amending our requirements to ensure we are competitive."

“We will be changing the pre-arrival test requirement to accept antigen tests, which are less expensive and easier for travellers to Bermuda to acquire, as well as PCR tests."

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20211126/government-rolls-back-a-raft-of-covid-19-regulations/

The problem is that Bermuda has not updated it's website to reflect the new requirements and as of this minute isn't even accepting Travel Authorization applications for the Gem.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

The reports of allowing antigen tests have not come from unofficial sources, but from the government of Bermuda at its highest level. The premier, David Burt, made the announcement and the health minister, Kim Wilson stated:  "the island’s travel rules are under review to help make the island more attractive to visitors. She said: “We are looking at amending our requirements to ensure we are competitive."

“We will be changing the pre-arrival test requirement to accept antigen tests, which are less expensive and easier for travellers to Bermuda to acquire, as well as PCR tests."

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20211126/government-rolls-back-a-raft-of-covid-19-regulations/

The problem is that Bermuda has not updated it's website to reflect the new requirements and as of this minute isn't even accepting Travel Authorization applications for the Gem.

Thanks.

Either way, I was attempting to talk out the scenarios. Either the world does better handling COVID variants and the testing requirement is relaxed in which case... yay to the OP.  Or the tests remain strict (PCR test only), in which case it's up the OP to find the right test lab and carefully read the NCL instructions and ask any questions of the NCL person who calls.

Edited by kylenyc

It looks like the "Cruise Travel Authorisation Page" on Bermuda government website has been changed. It no longer states that a PCR test is needed. It just states that a negative "COVID-19 Test" needs to be uploaded on the Travel Authorization.  But, the Gem still isn't an option when you click the "Apply For Travel Authorization" button. We have an appointment scheduled early tomorrow morning for rapid PCR tests but might just switch that to antigen tests to save the $350. Good luck all!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deluuuc said:

It looks like the "Cruise Travel Authorisation Page" on Bermuda government website has been changed. It no longer states that a PCR test is needed. It just states that a negative "COVID-19 Test" needs to be uploaded on the Travel Authorization.  But, the Gem still isn't an option when you click the "Apply For Travel Authorization" button. We have an appointment scheduled early tomorrow morning for rapid PCR tests but might just switch that to antigen tests to save the $350. Good luck all!!

The change really doesnt make things much easier, we still need a test 3-4 days out.  Smh. I just wish they thought about how some cant get an appointment on sunday and families having to shell out $75 pp extra. They the anxiety they will approve us in time.  

Edited by seaman11

I just called the Bermuda Covid-19 Hotline to confirm which type of testing is needed. She informed me that PCR test was needed. I told her that the website information changed and it no longer said a PCR test was necessary. She said that wasn't the case. I told hew I was looking right at it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!?? If the people making the rules don't know the rules than how are we supposed to?? And NCL is no help either. They should be in discussions with the Bermuda government and passing along information to us.

Here are the instructions from the page:

Please read instructions below and complete the Travel Authorisation (TA) form carefully to ensure the information is accurate:

Instruction Details

Step 1: Pre-Book your COVID-19 test in advance to ensure test is taken first thing on Day 1. Your COVID-19 test is 4 days before your departure day from the cruise ship terminal to Bermuda

Step 2: Take your pre-booked COVID-19 test early on this morning. Please check with testing staff to make sure the test results will have all required elements for travel authorization approval:

Valid pre-departure test results must meet the following standards:

• Display travellers’ full name and date of birth
  • Date of the test must be no more than 4 days of departure from Terminal to Bermuda.  Collection date must be displayed on the test result
  • Test result must be negative
  • Test must be performed by an accredited laboratory
  • Display full name of laboratory and contact information for laboratory
  • Please ensure if results are across 2 pages, that you upload both pages

Not one word about PCR

23 minutes ago, Deluuuc said:

I just called the Bermuda Covid-19 Hotline to confirm which type of testing is needed. She informed me that PCR test was needed. I told her that the website information changed and it no longer said a PCR test was necessary. She said that wasn't the case. I told hew I was looking right at it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!?? If the people making the rules don't know the rules than how are we supposed to?? And NCL is no help either. They should be in discussions with the Bermuda government and passing along information to us.

Here are the instructions from the page:

Please read instructions below and complete the Travel Authorisation (TA) form carefully to ensure the information is accurate:

Instruction Details

Step 1: Pre-Book your COVID-19 test in advance to ensure test is taken first thing on Day 1. Your COVID-19 test is 4 days before your departure day from the cruise ship terminal to Bermuda

Step 2: Take your pre-booked COVID-19 test early on this morning. Please check with testing staff to make sure the test results will have all required elements for travel authorization approval:

Valid pre-departure test results must meet the following standards:

• Display travellers’ full name and date of birth
  • Date of the test must be no more than 4 days of departure from Terminal to Bermuda.  Collection date must be displayed on the test result
  • Test result must be negative
  • Test must be performed by an accredited laboratory
  • Display full name of laboratory and contact information for laboratory
  • Please ensure if results are across 2 pages, that you upload both pages

Not one word about PCR

I noticed that too but I found it elsewhere.  That info is here... https://www.gov.bm/are-you-immunised, STEP 2: (see below).  I completely agree with you… it’s pretty effed up.  As of this morning we STILL can’t use the website to start the application process.

Step 2:

If you are a Visitor to Bermuda, 2-years-old or older, you must have a negative COVID-19 test that has been done within 4 days before your arrival in Bermuda. Immunised residents without a pre-arrival test must quarantine for 4 days. You will need to upload a copy of your PCR test results as part of completing the Travel Authorisation form. Most laboratories will provide you with a .pdf document showing the result, and this is the item you will need to upload.

We get tested today & tomorrow (one is a backup). We're staying the course and getting our PCR tests.  It's still the "gold standard" of tests and we're not going to risk getting it wrong so close to our sail date.

Edited by DenGNNJ

I couldn't find anywhere to take a test today that has a decent turnaround time. I called Bermuda and they said taking a test tomorrow is fine. I hope that she is right about that! I found a place with a 2 hour turn around time for a PCR test. 

Is anyone else testing tomorrow instead of today???? Just looking to calm my nerves about it. 

I'm starting to panic about the form not being available. 

8 minutes ago, Pasthomas66 said:

I couldn't find anywhere to take a test today that has a decent turnaround time. I called Bermuda and they said taking a test tomorrow is fine. I hope that she is right about that! I found a place with a 2 hour turn around time for a PCR test. 

Is anyone else testing tomorrow instead of today???? Just looking to calm my nerves about it. 

I'm starting to panic about the form not being available. 

Our same day test is tomorrow too … don’t worry about that or the website.  Others have reported that for previous cruises, Bermuda Tourism personnel are at the pier to help with the authorization if need be.

Edited by DenGNNJ