Necessities for ship workers?

WoodyWindy

I can't find them for some reason, but I remember seeing a few posts about the workers on the ships not being able to get off the ship or needing certain personal items. I thought one of them even had a list of the kind of things that we could bring for them that would be useful and appreciated. Could someone please either point me to such a list, or repost it here?

Thanks! 

• Like 2

I’m not sure where that thread is either but we brought them all sorts of personal toiletries (male and female) like toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, mouthwash,  disposable razors, shower products, hair products, wipes, (like makeup remover type wipes) also threw in some snacks like protein bars/granola bars, and a bunch of Halloween candy snack size chocolate bars that CVS had for 75% off. 
We were in FL for a week before we departed on the cruise so I was able to go to the Dollar Store and CVS to stock up without having to bring it all on the plane. 
We plan to do the same thing for our Seashore cruise in January. 

Anything that you can think of that we all need/use on a daily basis will be greatly appreciated by them.

• Like 4

We also went to the Dollar store and stocked up on bar soap, toothpaste/toothbrushes, hand cream, dental floss and granola bars.

The space it took up in suitcase was used later for our souvenirs.

Reaction from staff varied, some were hesitant at first. Spoke to YC Director and he said they were concerned of misunderstanding and afraid of getting in trouble.

After they got word it was OK, they were so happy.

“Like Christmas” they said.

Some liked the bar soap, some were so happy for toothpaste. We had multiples of each and told them to pass it along to others in need.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WoodyWindy said:

Thanks, all! So, mostly consumables? What about other sundries, like socks/stockings, etc...?

Funny you mentioned socks/stockings because I noticed some of the cocktail waitresses were wearing pantyhose and I know those don’t last long. I wonder if MSC provides them as part of their uniform?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, styles27 said:

Funny you mentioned socks/stockings because I noticed some of the cocktail waitresses were wearing pantyhose and I know those don’t last long. I wonder if MSC provides them as part of their uniform?

My wife made the same conjecture.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

this thread was in the RCI subforum. Two of them, actually. General consensus was to just give them extra cash.

Extra cash doesn’t help them at the moment because they aren’t allowed off the ship to shop for these things because of Covid protocols. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I put together a handful of care packages (deodorant, toothbrush/paste, q-tips, wipes, soap, shampoo, razors, etc...) and on the second day left them on the bed with a note. Our steward was very grateful, leaving a note in return, and equally grateful for the opportunity to share these with some of the others in the back of the house who rarely get any appreciation.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2021 at 3:45 AM, WoodyWindy said:

I can't find them for some reason, but I remember seeing a few posts about the workers on the ships not being able to get off the ship or needing certain personal items. I thought one of them even had a list of the kind of things that we could bring for them that would be useful and appreciated....

The most appreciated thing, amongst crew members, dependent upon onboard currency:

Dollars

Euros

😉

Just off the Meraviglia this morning.  When we embarked last Sunday we brought on board a carryon suitcase filled with toothbrushes, toothpaste, and deodorant. Case lot packs from Amazon.  The YC butlers took charge to distribute to the crew members most in need.  The ship store couldn’t even stay stocked on toothpaste at times as the crew cannot get off the ship to supply themselves at the local markets.  It was particularly sad to see how close the ship docks in Cozumel to the Mega, knowing the crew could not get off the ship.

Yes, an extra tip is always welcome, but if you are not permitted to spend the money ashore it really doesn’t help much. The ships are doing what they can, but the bubble life for the crew is very challenging.  

Dennis

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kelleherdl said:

Just off the Meraviglia this morning.  When we embarked last Sunday we brought on board a carryon suitcase filled with toothbrushes, toothpaste, and deodorant. Case lot packs from Amazon.  The YC butlers took charge to distribute to the crew members most in need.  The ship store couldn’t even stay stocked on toothpaste at times as the crew cannot get off the ship to supply themselves at the local markets.  It was particularly sad to see how close the ship docks in Cozumel to the Mega, knowing the crew could not get off the ship.

Yes, an extra tip is always welcome, but if you are not permitted to spend the money ashore it really doesn’t help much. The ships are doing what they can, but the bubble life for the crew is very challenging.  

Dennis

So glad to hear cruisers are bringing these supplies onboard.
In US, the need for these items seems more crucial. We had big reactions for bar soap and lotion and another going on and on about receiving tubes of toothpaste. 
We Also brought  Multiples and asked butlers and waitstaff to distribute to staff in need. 
We did clear it with YC Director first so the staff got Ok to accept these items. ( they were worried they might get in trouble)

🙄🙏

• Like 3

I wonder when the staff will be allowed to go off shore to re-supply.  I'll be watching this closely as we sail in 5 weeks and will happily bring supplies.  (And we will be stopping in Cozumel so can easily make a MEGA run)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hamrag said:

The most appreciated thing, amongst crew members, dependent upon onboard currency:

Dollars

Euros

😉

We did also include an extra cash tip for our cabin steward (we weren't in YC), but it was clear that the true appreciation was for the items. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

I wonder when the staff will be allowed to go off shore to re-supply.  I'll be watching this closely as we sail in 5 weeks and will happily bring supplies.  (And we will be stopping in Cozumel so can easily make a MEGA run)

I can't see things getting much better in the short to mid term with the Omicron surge going on. Hopefully they don't go back to full-on lockdown. Several folks mentioned in private conversation how bad things had been, and that they're really looking forward to getting back to normal.

• Like 1

Our butler said they need shoes. We brought a bunch of stuff on board with us and the major thing we didn't include was black dress shoes. If you have room and can find good black dress shoes, bring sizes 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5.

I think this thread is delightful.

Pre-covid we always asked our steward what we could pick up for them going on shore. Sometimes they were shy, but others not at all, and one chap from Jamaica gave us a small shopping list which we still get a kick out of.

In the spirit of the season, this thread shows many of us still believe it's much more enjoyable to give than receive.

Blessings and a Happy Holidays to all.

• Like 5

On 12/24/2021 at 4:13 AM, joeyancho said:

According to crew members on a Carnival Cruise last week, they are now allowed to go ashore. Before that they bought  necessary supplies through Amazon

probably not anymore, with the rise of Omicron.

RCI ships aren't even allowed in some ports, for example, on a very short notice.

• Like 2

there is a post over on the ‘social media’ platform with some good news on this topic.  A passenger on an MSC ship met with the manager of Mega in Cozumel.  The manager was unaware that MSC crew could not yet go ashore to shop.  Ship officers are going to work with the manager to arrange ‘order forms’ in multiple languages to permit mobile ordering by the crew members .  Mega will arrange with the ship to deliver the orders.  All the chatter, the expression of good will by us MSC fans, and communication with the ship’s officers made this happen.

give ourselves a hand!

Dennis

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1