Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

2 hours ago, Been There, Planning That said:

It is a small world as we lived for years in Blackburn but retired to Kanata.

And Fouremco, I join the chorus of those thankful for all your well informed advice on this thread.

Ruth

Many thanks, Ruth.

As you lived in Blackburn, I'm sure that we could play Six Degrees of Separation. 😇

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, melbrook said:

Such a bummer.  I know each time we agonized and then cancelled we felt instant relief so we knew it was the right call for us at the time.  Hopefully you have experienced the same and it has taken some stress off your shoulders.  Don't leave us though...we need you! 😉

Thanks so much! After months of wondering what would be best for us in the ever-changing COVID environment, and worrying about making the wrong decision as the FPD, we too felt instant relief. And no inclination to second guess our decision. 

• Like 1

So nIce to have this safe spot to commiserate when making these tough decisions.    I wish I wasn’t getting so good at cancelling.  If it wasn’t five million degrees below zero it would be a little easier!  We have final payment in February  for a May Holy land cruise, I can’t imagine it’s going to happen. 
stay well! 

• Like 2

It wasn’t until after I cancelled my January 9 cruise last week that I realized I have “mask rage”. It’s kinda like road rage and comes on when I see or hear of people not wearing masks properly, or at all, in situations where it is mandated to do so. 

i am seeing reports of passengers flagrantly disregarding the mask rules on cruise ships, and worse, becoming belligerent when asked to do so. It truly offends my “Canadian-ness” to see people act this way and it would negatively impact the enjoyment of my cruise experience. 

It’s no fun to spend time on my vacation wanting to yell at people!  So until people agree to abide by the rules, or the ships figure out how to enforce them better, I think my blood pressure is safer at home!

to those of you who are more laid-back, I salute you and wish you a happy cruise 🚢 

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

It wasn’t until after I cancelled my January 9 cruise last week that I realized I have “mask rage”. It’s kinda like road rage and comes on when I see or hear of people not wearing masks properly, or at all, in situations where it is mandated to do so. 

i am seeing reports of passengers flagrantly disregarding the mask rules on cruise ships, and worse, becoming belligerent when asked to do so. It truly offends my “Canadian-ness” to see people act this way and it would negatively impact the enjoyment of my cruise experience. 

It’s no fun to spend time on my vacation wanting to yell at people!  So until people agree to abide by the rules, or the ships figure out how to enforce them better, I think my blood pressure is safer at home!

to those of you who are more laid-back, I salute you and wish you a happy cruise 🚢 

I feel your pain.  I just saw some amazing Covid stats on Japan,  where mask wearing is culturally acceptable.  I can’t wait to revisit there! 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Ah, sorry to hear this.  I know how difficult these deliberations and decisions can be.  I will continue to look forward to your informative and entertaining posts and hearing about your plans once rescheduled.  Happy New Year.

(I would have posted this yesterday but .... CC problems... seems to be only affecting me on some threads/boards.  Very weird). 

I have the same problems with CC. So many times I can't even "like" ❤️ a post. I sometimes log out, and log back in, but it doesn't always work. I'm glad to know that it isn't just me.  🙂

9 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

Well we just pulled the plug on our RC cruise during spring break with our Granddaughter 😞.

Thankfully we had not spilled the beans to her yet as she is still disappointed about her Disney cruise being cancelled in August 2020.

Just keeping my fingers crossed at the moment that schools return next week. This Grandma is mentally unprepared to tackle grade 3 online after doing it for half of grade 1 and all of grade 2.😖

Good luck, Grandma! I'd love to do that for my grandkids. I miss teaching some days. 😉 But being able to roll over at 7 and go back to sleep.....heaven!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

I have the same problems with CC. So many times I can't even "like" ❤️ a post. I sometimes log out, and log back in, but it doesn't always work. I'm glad to know that it isn't just me.  🙂

I'm having the same problem with posting, liking, etc....using Fox as my browser.  I moved over to Chrome and all works well here.  Maybe try a different browser? 🤔

• Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 6:08 PM, *Miss G* said:

On 12/28/2021 at 6:08 PM, *Miss G* said:

I am so sorry to hear this.  Can you comment on how you are feeling?  Did you have any symptoms?  I hope you recover quickly and you are refunded/credited any payments you have made.  Let us know how things go.  Take care.

Sorry for the slow response. My partner and I both had positive PCR tests on Tuesday, and we were supposed to fly down on January 1 (Saturday), which means we wouldn't be able to produce a negative antigen test. Plus, our positive PCR tests needs to be at least 14 days old before we could use that to re-enter Canada. Way too many hurdles.

It's a good thing we canceled because today is Thursday and we still have pretty intense cold-like symptoms (stuffy nose, coughing, mild fever, body ached, fatigue). I'm surprised Covid has hit me this hard considering I've been boosted! 

I hope those that do make it onboard have a good time. We're looking forward to rebooking when it's somewhat back to normal. This is now our second cancelled cruise and we don't want to be crushed for a third time by booking too soon. 

Edited by bigtony22127
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

I'm having the same problem with posting, liking, etc....using Fox as my browser.  I moved over to Chrome and all works well here.  Maybe try a different browser? 🤔

I have to switch back and forth between browsers every couple days logging out of cruise critic before I switch over.  You’d think that they could fix this by now.  It’s been going on since the summer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I have to switch back and forth between browsers every couple days logging out of cruise critic before I switch over.  You’d think that they could fix this by now.  It’s been going on since the summer.

PITA, but to temporarily resolve go to address bar and directly beside the "https??........." portion is a lock symbol.  Left click on that and then click on "clear cookies and site data" and then "Remove".  You will physically need to log back into the boards with your username and password again, but you will be able to post and interact again until the site locks you up again.  Has been an ongoing issue for quite some time, waiting for site to make fix. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, ALD18 said:

PITA, but to temporarily resolve go to address bar and directly beside the "https??........." portion is a lock symbol.  Left click on that and then click on "clear cookies and site data" and then "Remove".  You will physically need to log back into the boards with your username and password again, but you will be able to post and interact again until the site locks you up again.  Has been an ongoing issue for quite some time, waiting for site to make fix. 

Thank you.  You must have to do that on a desktop because it doesn’t do anything on an iPad.  I’ve cleared my cookies before but then it clears things I don’t want cleared on other sites and it doesn’t seem to last that long.

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you.  You must have to do that on a desktop because it doesn’t do anything on an iPad.  I’ve cleared my cookies before but then it clears things I don’t want cleared on other sites and it doesn’t seem to last that long.

Can't speak for IPads as I don't have one.  I use laptops and desktops and the above procedure o nly messes with the cruise critic board cookies and such.  No other site data is cleared.  As well have done the procedure on those and have to do again 1-2 hours later as it gets hung.  Other times it will go for a day or so, fluctuates. 

• Like 2

As relatively 'ancient' mariners we've just cancelled our mid May b2b Princess Alaskan cruise.  

We are still hoping to safely sail on a 24 day HAL from Boston New England and Iceland cruise.

We do try to balance pessimism and optimism, so we're replacing the Princess Alaskan cruise  with a HAL 14 day cruise in May 2023 which had been cancelled for us in '21.  It's actually our preferred itinerary as it has several 'new to us' ports with no repeats in the 14 days.

Ruth

• Like 1

Hi All ... we also decided to cancel our S2S in an Owners Suite with 4X Points 😞 for February .... it was a hard one to make .... but you really have to think about the worst case scenarios .... we are currently looking to see what is available for 2023 .... pretty sure it won't be in a suite:(

Take All and a Happy New Year

Brian

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

When you use the process of clicking on the 'lock' beside the URL link to clear cookies and site data it only clears the specific link cookies, not everything else.    Just tried it and after logging out and back in, it worked.  But this has happened before and on the 2nd try to access notifications it's back to the same old, same old.  I haven't been locked out when I use Chrome however, so maybe it's specific to FireFox?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It is possible to clear just cc data and cookies on an iPad. Sadly I don't use one and can't tell you how. But https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-clear-cookies-on-ipad may prove useful.

1 hour ago, bigtony22127 said:

Sorry for the slow response. My partner and I both had positive PCR tests on Tuesday, and we were supposed to fly down on January 1 (Saturday), which means we wouldn't be able to produce a negative antigen test. Plus, our positive PCR tests needs to be at least 14 days old before we could use that to re-enter Canada. Way too many hurdles.

It's a good thing we canceled because today is Thursday and we still have pretty intense cold-like symptoms (stuffy nose, coughing, mild fever, body ached, fatigue). I'm surprised Covid has hit me this hard considering I've been boosted! 

I hope those that do make it onboard have a good time. We're looking forward to rebooking when it's somewhat back to normal. This is now our second cancelled cruise and we don't want to be crushed for a third time by booking too soon. 

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

2 hours ago, bigtony22127 said:

I hope you’re feeling better! I just tested positive after receiving my third shot 10 days ago. I’ve had a scratchy throat, slight headache and a really deep blues voice lol. Already improving and I’m sure I would’ve felt much worse without the vaccines. We’re scheduled to sail Jan 23 on the Edge and pretty sure we’re going to cancel. I’m concerned about flight cancellations. We used WestJet travel bank credits to book our flights which were set to expire in March 2022. Does anyone know if they reset from the day I cancel this time or back to the original expiry date? 

@doberwoman and @bigtony22127, I hope you are feeling better soon!

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’ve found if I go into “Private” mode on Safari the CC issues don’t affect me as much.  They still do, on occasion, but not as often as regular mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doberwoman said:

I hope you’re feeling better! I just tested positive after receiving my third shot 10 days ago. I’ve had a scratchy throat, slight headache and a really deep blues voice lol. Already improving and I’m sure I would’ve felt much worse without the vaccines. We’re scheduled to sail Jan 23 on the Edge and pretty sure we’re going to cancel. I’m concerned about flight cancellations. We used WestJet travel bank credits to book our flights which were set to expire in March 2022. Does anyone know if they reset from the day I cancel this time or back to the original expiry date? 

I am hoping they give you another year.  We will know in the next few days as we cancelled flights last night.    We were told that The new travel bank has a two year expiry, and can be extended once for free.  Not sure if it’s existing travel bank. 

We have a B2B in April with Celebrity was just contacted by TA re making final payment.  I've asked that he not process but not cancel either. Technically final payment is due next week but due to stat holidays TA was looking to process ahead of time.   I am hoping Celebrity changes their rules from 90 days for FPD.  I understand Celebrity has the right to cancel if we don't make final payment and if that happens so be it.

I don't want to totally give up on this cruise, but don't want a large FCC either.  I am hopeful that things will be better by the spring but right now not willing to commit.

Happy New Year all let's hope we will be safely back to cruising in 2022!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

When you use the process of clicking on the 'lock' beside the URL link to clear cookies and site data it only clears the specific link cookies, not everything else.    Just tried it and after logging out and back in, it worked.  But this has happened before and on the 2nd try to access notifications it's back to the same old, same old.  I haven't been locked out when I use Chrome however, so maybe it's specific to FireFox?

I do absolutely nothing, sometimes it works fine and other times not.  This really needs to be addressed as it is a site issue not and individual one.  It’s getting very old.

• Like 1

U.S. CDC warns against cruises, regardless of vaccination status
Published Dec. 30, 2021 3:50 p.m. ET

MIAMI -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned people on Thursday not to go on cruises, regardless of their vaccination status, because of onboard outbreaks fueled by the omicron variant.

The CDC said it has more than 90 cruise ships under investigation or observation as a result of COVID-19 cases. The agency did not disclose the number of infections.

The CDC also recommended that cruise passengers get tested and quarantine for five days after docking, regardless of their vaccination status and even if they have no symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, trying to cancel February NCL cruise but so far they are unwilling to give me a FCC. This was a 10 day in the Haven suite so quite pricey and we will be losing it all. My medical insurance will not cover us with the government advisory on and I'm not willing to go to the States without medical coverage. So with all the news, I'm waiting to see if the CDC will issue an order to cease cruising. Then they have to give me something. Staying positive as it could happen

Easily got a full refund for air from Air Canada so happy with that.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

U.S. CDC warns against cruises, regardless of vaccination status
Published Dec. 30, 2021 3:50 p.m. ET

MIAMI -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned people on Thursday not to go on cruises, regardless of their vaccination status, because of onboard outbreaks fueled by the omicron variant.

The CDC said it has more than 90 cruise ships under investigation or observation as a result of COVID-19 cases. The agency did not disclose the number of infections.

The CDC also recommended that cruise passengers get tested and quarantine for five days after docking, regardless of their vaccination status and even if they have no symptoms.

Now we wait for the CDC to take measures with the cruise lines. A warning to cruisers surely won't be the CDC's sole response.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 5:42 PM, waiting2retire said:

I am 100% with you. I will tell people in shops to wear them properly. It annoys me to no end. Just follow the rules. They are so simple. 

• Like 4