Anyone cancelling their cruise?

Sistersinlaw

2 hours ago, cruzn1974 said:

We had to cancel our B2B  Christmas/NewYear cruises but not by choice.  Wife and daughter tested positive day before on the antigen so I spent all day Christmas Eve on phone. 😞  Was able to get all of my money back but took a hit on the foreign exchange and credit card fees .  Fingers crossed for our upcoming 1/30.   

Not sure this has been mentioned before but the positive from this is your wife and daughter are exempt from the arrival testing when you get back from your next cruise.

You'll still need to make sure they get a negative test to board the cruise ship.

Credit card fees? oh that is not good

I know what you mean about exchange rates. I like to pay off my credit cards right away but hate that one amount is posted then by the time it cleared my credit card the amount has changed.

• Like 2

Thanks.  What do they need to show for the exemption?  All they have is the results from the Ontario Health site but it does not show last name or other personal info.

Re:credit card fees, ours was booked in Aug. and exchange was 1.31 but when we got the credit it was @ 1.24 so we lost ~$300 in the conversion including fees.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruzn1974 said:

Thanks.  What do they need to show for the exemption?  All they have is the results from the Ontario Health site but it does not show last name or other personal info.

Re:credit card fees, ours was booked in Aug. and exchange was 1.31 but when we got the credit it was @ 1.24 so we lost ~$300 in the conversion including fees.     

There are a few credit cards such as Scotiabank Passport and Home Trust that don’t add the extra 2.5% foreign exchange fees on.   This helps a lot, except if the rate changes.   

The 300$ might turn out to be a Bigger savings than if you had to quarantine. I’m trying to justify the several thousand I had to swallow due to our cancellation.    

1 hour ago, cruzn1974 said:

Why is the credit never bigger than the debit 😛?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzn1974 said:

I would read the government website regarding Arrival testing.
The wording says "Travellers who provide a positive COVID-19 molecular pre-entry test result, conducted at least 14 and no more than 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago) before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, are exempt from arrival testing."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#randomized

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Why is the credit never bigger than the debit 😛?

Because I have a credit card that doesn’t charge foreign exchange fees, I have actually had refunds that were larger than the original charge. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Because I have a credit card that doesn’t charge foreign exchange fees, I have actually had refunds that were larger than the original charge. 

Yup, I’ve got one to.  The home trust visa.  I booked a cabana on hal  a cruise.  I canceled that one and rebooked another.  The debit for the cabana went thru immediately but the credit took around two weeks.  The Canadian dollar dropped a lot in that time so that cost me about $5 because the price is substantial.  Another time hal charged me for 2 cabanas instead of one.  They realized their error immediately but the credit again took about 2 weeks so that cost me about $8.50.  Both were charges for nothing.  If it’s a dollar trinket no big deal.  An $800 cabana is something different.  I wished I came out ahead on that.

• Like 1

Sadly I have cancelled my March 18th Costa Firenze Dubai to Rome cruise.  Transferred the funds to the same cruise March 2023.

Now wonder if my April 24th Carnival Pride Tampa to Barcelona will sail. Not sure if Carnival will send a ship to Europe this year.

Also have Celebrity Solstice Sept 2022 Vancouver to Tokyo booked but wonder if that one will even sail.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

Sadly I have cancelled my March 18th Costa Firenze Dubai to Rome cruise.  Transferred the funds to the same cruise March 2023.

Now wonder if my April 24th Carnival Pride Tampa to Barcelona will sail. Not sure if Carnival will send a ship to Europe this year.

Also have Celebrity Solstice Sept 2022 Vancouver to Tokyo booked but wonder if that one will even sail.

I am booked on the Pride in July.

I'm part of a roll call on the Book of Faces.

I don't think a lot of them have read up on cruises or cruising or Carnival or Covid.. or anything.

They are booking flights, talking about meet ups, worrying about covid tests..

And I"m sitting back thinking "lets wait to see if 1 - Iceland/Scotland/Ireland/Wales is actually open for tourists, and 2 - if the ship actually makes it way there.

THEN I will start planning 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I would read the government website regarding Arrival testing.
The wording says "Travellers who provide a positive COVID-19 molecular pre-entry test result, conducted at least 14 and no more than 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 10 and 180 days ago) before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, are exempt from arrival testing."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#randomized

Thanks for the link @K_e_short.  The requirements for proof are pretty vague on the website so I called the COVID-19 information line through Public Health (1-833-784-4397) to enquire.  They directed me to the following website: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada and quoted the following requirements: 

image.thumb.png.2bb05dd1953f31e06098627388568723.png

Based on the above, the negative results provided by public health do not satisfy the requirements. 

Will look into if we can get a private PCR test for peace of mind prior to travelling.  I don't want to get a positive test at the pier and have to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days.

We are also scheduled for a B2B at March break so this will come up again.  (Trying to justify this extra $500 cost to myself 🙂 )  

Already missed the holiday cruise, we would actually be flying back today so really hate to cancel this one too.   

• Like 1

Cancelled our April TA and B2B British Isles cruise yesterday, too many hoops to jump through and don't want to lock in to another FCC...Struggling to use the one we already have and PCL wont extend it  !

Fingers crossed that by fall we will be in a better place 🤞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 3JCruiser said:

Cancelled our April TA and B2B British Isles cruise yesterday, too many hoops to jump through and don't want to lock in to another FCC...Struggling to use the one we already have and PCL wont extend it  !

Fingers crossed that by fall we will be in a better place 🤞

Exact same reasons why we cancelled.  Trusting our Fall cruise to Australia/ New Zealand will be a better time to travel. 🤞

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following everything and as of right now, we are still going. 

We were initially going on an All inclusive with a large group of people before our cruise.  However, many of them were travelling with Air Transat who cancelled their flight/vacation.  I discussed the problem of spending a week somewhere before the cruise and possibly testing positive.  DH wants to fly in the day before the cruise and go. 
If we test positive during or at the end, we will have to do the quarantine in the US.  We had planned to buy the insurance to cover that anyway. 
And since we are not doing 11 days of the trip, we have the time available if we do have to quarantine (we were doing a 7 day all inclusive and 4 days at port, then the cruise).  

I'm going to order our Switch Health tests today. 

Of course, this could all change....

• 3 weeks later...

We canceled our TA and the 2 B2B's for April before we had to pay. We already had a large FCC from 2019 they gifted us for a cancellation. We thought we would lose it but they applied it to our Med trip in Nov. nice of Princess. But we are really having a hard time justifying even going in November. We will make the call probably a week before final payment again but it does not look good. Cruising with a couple of thousand people is just not making sense right now and if there is a new variant that comes up even less so. We always said when we got older we would start doing domestic travel so maybe this is that time.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheese please said:

We canceled our TA and the 2 B2B's for April before we had to pay. We already had a large FCC from 2019 they gifted us for a cancellation. We thought we would lose it but they applied it to our Med trip in Nov. nice of Princess. But we are really having a hard time justifying even going in November. We will make the call probably a week before final payment again but it does not look good. Cruising with a couple of thousand people is just not making sense right now and if there is a new variant that comes up even less so. We always said when we got older we would start doing domestic travel so maybe this is that time.   

Understand, we have final payment due very soon, hoping we can switch it until 2023.   Perhaps you’re right about travel at home.

We cancel our March cruise prior to final payment.  We already have enough money as is in FCC which has to be used by the end of this year.  On the safe side, we booked an Alaska cruise in September (leaving and arriving within Canada) and if all goes well, were off to Australia/New Zealand for a month. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheese please said:

Are you staying at home all the time? I think you probably have more contact with unvaccinated people on any given day than you will on the cruise.

I guess everyone has their own threshold of acceptable risk, for us the time to get started is now. After 3 cancelled cruises and plans dashed we intend to be on our first cruise since June 2019. We fly to Los Angeles on April 8th to embark on Viking Orion for a Pacific Coastal cruise.

• Like 2