WiFi Cell Phone Calls

BubbaBoat

Hi!  I'm hopping on the Regal Princess on Thursday.  It's a 4 nighter with one stop in Amber Cove in the DR.  I don't plan on even getting off the ship but would to make a couple of phone calls while in port.

I do want to make Cell Phone calls, if possible, while floating around on the sea.  Has anyone utilized your cell phone's "wifi calls" feature?  I assume it's possible.  I'd just need to purchase the Princess wifi plan.

If anyone has tried this, I'd love to hear your feedback.

My son is on the Sky Princess right now and was hoping to make a few wi-fi calls for work.  We were able to make calls in 2019 on the Star Princess.  But, we were on Holland America last week and wi-fi call were blocked.  I'm not sure if HAL and Princess have different policies, if things have changed, or if it is ship dependent.  If you don't get a definitive answer, I will share my son's experience when I hear from him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

We were on the Majestic in Oct-Nov. I made WIFI calls on my phone every day. Worked great.We have T Mobile. Also did quite a bit of texting too.

Thanks Sue.  That's encouraging news.  The texting works while the wifi setting is on?  Airplane mode is on?  

On the Ruby now, I have made WiFi calls and FaceTime calls at sea. I have T-Mobile and an iPhone 11.  

But with this ability comes all the land based rudeness. 

Here’s a not so funny story. The other day we were in the piazza thoroughly enjoying the great mariachi band. A woman sits down behind us and makes a phone call. The live band is really loud and really good. Folks were dancing and clapping along. This woman had to scream into her phone.  I….just….could…not…believe….it. The quiet art gallery is directly behind her. 

oh and after 10 minutes with the first call she made a SECOND one!

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

On the Ruby now, I have made WiFi calls and FaceTime calls at sea. I have T-Mobile and an iPhone 11.  

But with this ability comes all the land based rudeness. 

Here’s a not so funny story. The other day we were in the piazza thoroughly enjoying the great mariachi band. A woman sits down behind us and makes a phone call. The live band is really loud and really good. Folks were dancing and clapping along. This woman had to scream into her phone.  I….just….could…not…believe….it. The quiet art gallery is directly behind her. 

oh and after 10 minutes with the first call she made a SECOND one!

Maybe there's a reason HAL blocks wifi calling.

• Like 2

What's app should work with any cruise line wi fi service. May not be the best, but it does work.  .  Just make sure your phone is in Airplane mode, so you don't get cell charges.to your phone.  oh and do it in a quiet area so you can converse without screaming 🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Missymo said:

What's app should work with any cruise line wi fi service. May not be the best, but it does work.  .  Just make sure your phone is in Airplane mode, so you don't get cell charges.to your phone.  oh and do it in a quiet area so you can converse without screaming 🤣

⬆️ This

Edited by TracieABD

57 minutes ago, eagletwo said:

We are on the Enchanted Princess and called our daughters using WhatsApp. Worked great. 

I'm hoping that the text portion of WhatsApp will provide an audible tone for messages to my husband on the ship. 

I just installed it on both our phones to try it out & it seems to be working fine at home.

• Haha 1

We are with TMobile and were able to use Wifi Calling and text using the Princess Wifi while in airplane mode.  This worked on both of our phones (I have an iPhone 11 and DH has a Samsung) for our two most recent cruises (Majestic in August 2021 and Coral Princess in January 2020).  On my iPhone I had to first turn on the Wifi Calling setting under Cellular.  I think (but am not 100%) that my hubby needed to enable it on his Samsung as well.

• Like 1