The end of Set (Traditional Dining) on Princess?

Smokeyham

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

But if you want to make dining reservations or order drinks/food delivered to your location you need to have a device like a Smartphone and use the app

You can make and cancel dining reservations using the tv in your cabin.

15 hours ago, john watson said:

think one should not forget that under the new regime you can request slow service, steady service, fast service etc. (not sure of exact classification) and therefore help you tee up your meal with the evening shows first or second performance with a bit of trial and error

Good luck with that ! The wait staff just get on with the meal service, regardless of what you might request on the app.

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Good luck with that ! The wait staff just get on with the meal service, regardless of what you might request on the app.

I think the request relates more to matching people who do not know each other on shared tables to be more compatible.  I mean if you always have a show to go to and run a very tight schedule and I am on your table droning on incessantly about whether LNG ships will be a good idea then ordering a second starter it will not be a good dining experience. It is guaranteed anyone can slow a meal down significantly.

Regards John

15 minutes ago, john watson said:

I think the request relates more to matching people who do not know each other on shared tables to be more compatible.  I mean if you always have a show to go to and run a very tight schedule and I am on your table droning on incessantly about whether LNG ships will be a good idea then ordering a second starter it will not be a good dining experience. It is guaranteed anyone can slow a meal down significantly.

Regards John

Seems reasonable,  but I think you are giving too much credence to the way in which the speed request is used. . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

You can make and cancel dining reservations using the tv in your cabin.

Yep.  But some of us spend very little time in our cabins. We do think having lots of options is a good thing.  This morning I was in my spot near the IC while DW slept.  I took a look at tonight’s dinner menu (on the app) and was not excited so  I quickly booked a 7.30 reservation in Sur Le Mer, ordered another cappuccino, and never left my seat.  Ain’t life grand?

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Aside from the ordering on the app, on the Regal/Royal in 2019 the find feature didn't work for the decks above the main pool area. My husband could never find me if I was at the sanctuary pool.

Hopefully everything is now working properly.

It is working somewhat better on the Enchanted.  But waiters still have issues finding the exact person and you will often hear them walking past while saying a name hoping that person will give them some kind of signal.  One irony is that if a waiter comes by and you order a drink they will take the time to put it into their own app device rather then write it down.   When sitting at a crowded bar the bar tenders might have to deal with 20 names and pictures on their tablets.  The Apps do have their pros and cons.

Hank

Wow!  Princess has always been my second favorite line, but I think this moves them to about #6.  Developing a bond with dinner tablemates (well, most of them, anyway) has always been one of the highlights of cruising for me.

• Like 3

We were on Enchanted Princess for 10 days on her inaugural in November. We had the same private table for 3, the same wait staff every night of the cruise. The waiter, asst. waiter and dinning room manager were there every night and were more than attentive. Our assistant waiter even asked us to come to her section at breakfast and lunch and gave us outstanding service. The dinning room manager even intervened with a problem we had at breakfast in the buffet and ordered a complimentary bottle of wine for us that night at dinner. Most of the tables around us at dinner were the same people at the same table every night. Traditional dinning Is certainly still possible on a Princess ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wineglass said:

Traditional dinning Is certainly still possible on a Princess ship.

If I am reading the comments correctly, the ability to have the same table with the same waiters still exist if you are an organized group (i.e. you have linked your reservations prior to the cruise).

What seems to have gone is the ability for strangers to get together at dinner on the first night and then be assigned to the same table/wait staff for all future dinners unless someone links everyone's reservation number to theirs.  Have I got that correct?

37 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

If I am reading the comments correctly, the ability to have the same table with the same waiters still exist if you are an organized group (i.e. you have linked your reservations prior to the cruise).

What seems to have gone is the ability for strangers to get together at dinner on the first night and then be assigned to the same table/wait staff for all future dinners unless someone links everyone's reservation number to theirs.  Have I got that correct?

I think so.  It appears to be the situation right now.  I would not expect to see DMW fix that 

4 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

No. If you request the same time several nights and to share your table you will be assigned to a set table with the same other people & wait staff every night. Anyway that's what happened to me on the current voyage. 

I couldn't remove the set dining time nor could PSD but a Navigator (that's what her shirt said she was) finally removed it. 

Edited by Ombud

Hi, @Ombud we are on the same cruise. I had booked to have the same table every night on the app in Nov. We got on board and only showed one dinner at that time the rest blank. I made sure to request same table and server. This didn't happen. The first day on board spoke to a gentleman about this. He said it was a heavily requested time and wrote my name down. I have never heard from him again. So we decided to do anytime dining. Since the crowd is thin they are not using the app for anytime dining.

We only showed one night for early dining in Da Vinci ( and the rest were blank). We are just having fun experiencing anytime dining as we have not done this before. We just decided to go with the flow. But the app did not work for us setting up an assigned dining and I booked this on the app VERY early. Service has been FANTATIC and we are pleased with anytime dining.