The end of Set (Traditional Dining) on Princess?

Smokeyham

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I want to go out and see the shows and performances after dinner, not spend 2.5 hrs at the dinner table.  

There's nothing worse that sitting at a large table with a bunch of gabby people & you still haven't gotten the desert menu while people are flocking out of the DR to get to the main show.😵

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

TD was already kind of dying on the vine long before CoVid and not only on Princess but on other lines as well.  I'm with Marelaine, we see no downside to the DMW...this is exactly how we wished it would have been the entire time.  It probably time to implement this change right after the long pause when they first started seating people separately.  Then they probably had some requests and realized some like to share tables with people they don't know and lightened up on the distancing requirements of those outside your immediate group once pre-cruise testing was required.  I know on that first sailing out on the Majestic, all three dining rooms were open and we were seated with only those in our group unless someone requested otherwise.  By the time we got out on the Grand, it was pretty much the same but with only two dining rooms in play.  On one occasion, we were asked if we were willing to share.  Well, we decided maybe once ... that was enough for us, even though we had decent table mates and servers.  They actually seated people as they came in the door and started them off before waiting for any others to arrive.  So, we had three separate courses being served all at the same table.  We went directly back to our private table for two.  I want to go out and see the shows and performances after dinner, not spend 2.5 hrs at the dinner table.  

Again, I also see no downside for us.  I think the DMW has addressed all the issues we experienced in the past.  I can now go at what time I want for dinner, dine with who I choose to dine with and get out in a decent time frame to see the shows.  I know that some may not like it but on the other hand, they'd probably have never changed it if enough people hadn't complained about it in the past.  If you think Anytime dining was the answer, then you probably haven't tried it in the past.  There were times when we were told they wouldn't have a seat for dinner for us unless we showed up by 5:15 PM or after 7:45 PM.  Much of this came about because the TD times were changed once they were onboard and these same folks went to anytime dining and took up those tables.  Ridiculous!!  

So, some will not be happy but there are probably just as many, if not more, that are overjoyed with the new system.  

My advice for those that are not happy is to meet up with a group on a roll call or onboard and go as a group and then talk to the head waiter about getting the same table and wait team every night.  Bring a little gift for them.  They really do try so hard to make everyone happy.  

Hi. I cannot really disagree with you.  But, if TD was dying, then why was it always so subscribed when booking a cruise?  Even when times changed to start earlier.... that just seemed to shift a bunch of people to select the new Late rather than new Early. 

We also prefer go get dinner over with and do dine alone if cruising alone.  That has been a while now as we have mostly cruised with best friends in recent years.  TBH, I usually setup a custom dining arrangement for us for same time and table with the MD on Day 1.

So we do want to dine alone the four of us on next voyages, but I have not been convinced it would be same table and wait staff.  Not even sure that is fixed yet.

I appreciate your point of view and we might feel differently in future, but situation is different when looking to dine with particular people versus sit anywhere.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Hi. I cannot really disagree with you.  But, if TD was dying, then why was it always so subscribed when booking a cruise?  Even when times changed to start earlier.... that just seemed to shift a bunch of people to select the new Late rather than new Early. 

We also prefer go get dinner over with and do dine alone if cruising alone.  That has been a while now as we have mostly cruised with best friends in recent years.  TBH, I usually setup a custom dining arrangement for us for same time and table with the MD on Day 1.

So we do want to dine alone the four of us on next voyages, but I have not been convinced it would be same table and wait staff.  Not even sure that is fixed yet.

I appreciate your point of view and we might feel differently in future, but situation is different when looking to dine with particular people versus sit anywhere.  Thanks.

We are dining with others in less than a month and have made reservations for us all to be at the same private table throughout the cruise.  I will report back to you on whether or not we are able to get the same table every evening.  I already know the wait staff that we prefer ... hopefully they will be in the same dining room when we go again.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

DO we all really think they are checking that MC App option before beginning table service or before seating people?

Whenever we arrived at the MDR the guy knew that we had a private table for two at that time,  Daughters fiance had decided late on to also sail with us, meaning the standing order needed a plus one every night and this was not a problem. The point I am making is that they knew what we had booked on the app but were also flexible.

Regards John

2 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

We made the request on board.

Shortly before our cruise, somehow our single DMW request on the MedallionClass app for 7:00pm, private table, same dining room disappeared by the time we sailed. 😒

On Day 1 in the afternoon we stopped by our desired dining room, and a supervisor-type MDR person with "seating chart powers" manually made us a standing 7:00 PM reservation for the entire B2B2B at the same private window table and same waiter.  The supervisor-type person* also told us we could change tables each leg if we wanted to. The two of us were seated at a 4-top.  Our tables and waiters were excellent.  We switched tables (and waiters) at the start of our 2nd leg only because we wanted to move from a starboard-side to port-side window table.

*Sorry I didn't actually learn her title.  She appeared to report directly to the Maître d'.  When the Maître d' received special seating requests he would work with her first before approving the request.

Note:  Please remember this was on Grand Princess, which in our experience excels in personalized requests.

---

Thanks for this.  I will remember this and look the individual up when our cruise comes along.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2021 at 7:47 AM, caribill said:

They may have said that, but it cannot be true, not with a 40 minute spread between the earliest suggested and the latest suggested times. Only one of those times would be best for making the show in the Princess Theater. The other times could mean too much time between eating and the show or rushing through dinner to make the show.

I think one should not forget that under the new regime you can request slow service, steady service, fast service etc. (not sure of exact classification) and therefore help you tee up your meal with the evening shows first or second performance with a bit of trial and error.  Also how much time between finishing one's meal and show starting may be controlled.  I mean if you are the type of person who must have the very best and most popular seats getting to the theatre early is a must.  Less selective people might want to walk in a few minutes before curtain up.

Regards John

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We are dining with others in less than a month and have made reservations for us all to be at the same private table throughout the cruise.  I will report back to you on whether or not we are able to get the same table every evening.  I already know the wait staff that we prefer ... hopefully they will be in the same dining room when we go again.  

I know they move them around, but it will be nice if they are in your same preferred DR.  

My challenge with DMW has been to get a Private table at a suitable time, at the same time, for the full voyage which is a B2B2B.  One of the cruises has been a real problem.  I have managed to get lucky and get within 20 minutes of our ideal time, but strangely, the very first night is placing us at Split tables.  I have had situations where all but the middle 7-night leg were at Split tables.  Tell me - who is interested in a Split table arrangement when you have specifically created a Dining Party to dine together?  

I still have faith things can be worked out on board as long as I get to the matter quickly.  Another problem I realize for us is they only released one DR for booking, so a cruise that is more sold out is going to take all the spaces up.  It truly is a fluke from repeatedly checking to get a Private table for 24/25 nights as a Same Time/Same Table booking. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks for this.  I will remember this and look the individual up when our cruise comes along.

I think this type of guy wears an all over Ivory Colour Tuxedo and seems to gaze about the MDR looking to see if staff are doing things correctly.

Regards John

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, john watson said:

Whenever we arrived at the MDR the guy knew that we had a private table for two at that time,  Daughters fiance had decided late on to also sail with us, meaning the standing order needed a plus one every night and this was not a problem. The point I am making is that they knew what we had booked on the app but were also flexible.

Regards John

Right and I agree.  I was writing about the service speed option we can set in MC App.  I really have doubts that is being referenced religiously when seating folks at a table.  But I could be prepared to be floored.

ETA:  IMO it works well to just let your waiter know if you need to move things along to get somewhere.  It always worked well in the past.  Doesn't work so well if sharing at a larger table.

Edited by Steelers36

18 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I haven't had the time to read about this new DMW setup but on our next cruise we're setup to eat at the same table every night, same time. If we decided to go to the buffet one evening I would think we should let them know we would be missing from our regular table for that one night. 🤔

It should be is easy to cancel your reservation for a single evening using the app, your TV or touchscreens. Time will tell once you are on board!

7 hours ago, john watson said:

I think one should not forget that under the new regime you can request slow service, steady service, fast service etc. (not sure of exact classification) and therefore help you tee up your meal with the evening shows first or second performance with a bit of trial and error.  Also how much time between finishing one's meal and show starting may be controlled.  I mean if you are the type of person who must have the very best and most popular seats getting to the theatre early is a must.  Less selective people might want to walk in a few minutes before curtain up.

Regards John

Although you can make that request with the app, posts on several "live froms" have said that service in no way, shape or form is based on this request.

I think this was an idea in someone's mind that was never implemented because it would be very hard to implement. (selected size table in selected dining room at selected time (which could change each evening) and only to be shared with people who want to eat at the same speed you do, either those who reserved in advance or walk-ups)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torfamm said:

It should be is easy to cancel your reservation for a single evening using the app, your TV or touchscreens. Time will tell once you are on board!

I'm thinking it will work as well as it did prior to the medallion app...... they'll wait 15 or 20 minutes past the selected dine time until they need the table for people standing at the door & they give it out.

Probably not much improvement for those waiting to be seated.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I'm thinking it will work as well as it did prior to the medallion app...... they'll wait 15 or 20 minutes past the selected dine time until they need the table for people standing at the door & they give it out.

Probably not much improvement for those waiting to be seated.

I hope people will cancel reservations now that the process is so much easier than when you had to try to get through on the phone or physically go speak to someone 

• Like 2

Let’s be clear that there is a big difference between the “Medallion” and the “Medallion App.”  The Medallion will open your door and can be used similar to the old cruise card to get drinks.  But if you want to make dining reservations or order drinks/food delivered to your location you need to have a device like a Smartphone and use the app.  Without the App you would still need to find a waiter to take your order.

The App actually works quite well.  When I am sitting in the Atrium or at a deck chair I can simply use the app to order items which are brought to me.  This morning there was a long line at the IC (for coffee) so I simply ordered with the app and avoided having to wait in line.  The app also offers an easy way to change dining reservations and check your onboard account.

Hank

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Torfamm said:

I hope people will cancel reservations now that the process is so much easier than when you had to try to get through on the phone or physically go speak to someone 

There might have a default where if a no show goes 15/20 minutes beyond the booked time it is regarded as void.

Regards John

I'm currently on the CB. It was easy to change my dining reservation in the app. Last night's show times were 6 and 7:45 to accommodate for the deck party at 9. I changed my standing reservation at 8 for 7. We had also gone back an hour the night before, so by moving it to 7, it was the same as 8. But I moved it up to 7 tonight as well to fit the activities I want to do tonight.

It's easy since the ship is sailing at less than 50% capacity, even with the aft dining room closed. I do wonder how easy it will be when ships are back to full capacity.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

When I am sitting in the Atrium or at a deck chair I can simply use the app to order items which are brought to me.  This morning there was a long line at the IC (for coffee) so I simply ordered with the app and avoided having to wait in line.  The app also offers an easy way to change dining reservations and check your onboard account.

The thing about waiting in line for a few minutes is that I can specify how I like my cappuccino - on the weak side, not regular. Can the app do that?

15 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The thing about waiting in line for a few minutes is that I can specify how I like my cappuccino - on the weak side, not regular. Can the app do that?

I believe you can order ice, slice of lemon etc. on alcoholic drinks but not sure about making one's coffee bespoke.

Regards John

15 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Lol, I always order a 2nd shot and still think they are too weak.  But I guess you will just need to put up with lines.  On the other hand, with the app I can be sitting in a deck chair on 17 or 18 and order my cappuccino and it will find me.  The app is far from perfect but I do prefer it to queues as I am very queue adverse.

Hank

55 minutes ago, john watson said:

There might have a default where if a no show goes 15/20 minutes beyond the booked time it is regarded as void.

Regards John

Has always been the case - a "no show" seat will eventually get filled, but much more efficient if the guests cancel in App or let their waiter know ahead if doing TD style with same table/same waiter.

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Has always been the case - a "no show" seat will eventually get filled, but much more efficient if the guests cancel in App or let their waiter know ahead if doing TD style with same table/same waiter.

What I am implying is that eventually could be reduced to a few minutes for the inconsiderate who do not bother to cancel.

Regards John

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Lol, I always order a 2nd shot and still think they are too weak.  But I guess you will just need to put up with lines.  On the other hand, with the app I can be sitting in a deck chair on 17 or 18 and order my cappuccino and it will find me.  The app is far from perfect but I do prefer it to queues as I am very queue adverse.

Hank

Aside from the ordering on the app, on the Regal/Royal in 2019 the find feature didn't work for the decks above the main pool area. My husband could never find me if I was at the sanctuary pool.

Hopefully everything is now working properly.