Nexus - ArriveCan?

flyingandcruising

8 minutes ago, flyingandcruising said:

Like most people, we haven't crossed the border since Feb 2020. Nexus used to have a declaration form to be filled out when coming back into Canada via land  border. Are we to use the ArriveCan app now instead?

Thanks

We filled out everything on Arrive Can before we left except out PCR test just as you never know how good a cruise ship internet will be, so filled in the test on the last day.  Coming back was pretty easy if you have Nexus, with the Arrive Can app they treat you as a family so everyone is done on the same Nexus machine & they are new since 2 years ago & work great, plus they also added in Facial Recognition for future use.  There were no declaration forms to fill out anymore customs just asked if we had anything to declare & that was it.  The only hiccup was my DH got. Red sticker put on his passport so he had to get retested again.  Sorry did not notice that you were driving.

Edited by If only

21 minutes ago, flyingandcruising said:

Like most people, we haven't crossed the border since Feb 2020. Nexus used to have a declaration form to be filled out when coming back into Canada via land  border. Are we to use the ArriveCan app now instead?

Thanks

We have Nexus and have been back twice since August.  You have to fill out the ArriveCan app and have the receipt ready to show.  In our case, the Air Canada check in lady at Fort Lauderdale made us show her the confirmation receipt in the App (that is not everyone's experience).  I inputted our passports in the ArriveCan app.

My experience with Nexus is there is nothing to fill out in advance, you do it on the machine in the airport.  In our case, in Toronto airport the machines are much better now.  It was a quick process of putting your nexus card on the scanner and getting a picture taken and then walking up to the guy.  The Nexus machines going both ways are much more streamlined now (less steps and questions and no finger print scanning, I think it is facial recognition).  I believe if you have anything to declare you have to be clear on that with the guy that takes you sheets (or maybe we still had to say nothing to declare on the machine, but I don't remember doing that - as we had nothing to declare).

Edit - sorry, I didn't see that you were driving, but my suggestion is that ArriveCan and Nexus are two separate steps.  ArriveCan gets filled out by everyone, with our without Nexus, and you do whatever is necessary with Nexus as well (hopefully someone can help you with the land border issue).

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

50 minutes ago, flyingandcruising said:

Thanks

No, they are two separate programs. NEXUS continues to operate as it did previously, and the ArriveCAN is an additional requirement for all travellers, whether or not they are NEXUS members. Remember too that NEXUS is a US program and ArriveCAN a Canadian one. Consequently, I don't see the two ever being merged as a single app.

46 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No, they are two separate programs. NEXUS continues to operate as it did previously, and the ArriveCAN is an additional requirement for all travellers, whether or not they are NEXUS members. Remember too that NEXUS is a US program and ArriveCAN a Canadian one. Consequently, I don't see the two ever being merged as a single app.

Actually NEXUS is a joint Canada/US program for “trusted travellers”.  And as a NEXUS card holder I’ve driven across the border a few times both ways before COVID and never had any forms to fill out.

Edited by thon

19 minutes ago, thon said:

Actually NEXUS is a joint Canada/US program for “trusted travellers”.  And as a NEXUS card holder I’ve driven across the border a few times both ways before COVID and never had any forms to fill out.

You are right, but I was trying to keep it simple. While a joint program in name, it is in many ways controlled by the US. For instance, all NEXUS online applications or renewals, including those for Canadians, are done on the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System Web site that is operated by the United States Customs and Border Protection, which is a part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

I agree with respect to the forms.

The OP is referring to the TDC (traveller’s declaration card) card, then form, that land border crossers were supposed to fill in before crossing the border listing what they were declaring and the categories items fell into, as well as credit card info. This would allow CRA to assess any duties owing and charge your credit card. Supposedly, even if you were within your exemption limit you had to fill it out. I don’t know whether it still exists. I’ve tried to figure it out. 

The difference between the land border and the airport is that there isn’t always a secondary inspection where you can pay any duty owing (see whirlpool bridge crossing) and this expedited the crossing by separating immigration from customs. 

Edited by gnome12

We have used the land border twice last week and thinking of going again today.  We had a ton of stuff in our PO box and divided it up so as not to exceed the limit we were bringing back and therefore, avoid GST etc.

We have Nexus and that's all we needed going south.  Coming back we had completed and printed our ArriveCAN and the border guard told us we didn't need to do that.  Since we are Nexus holders, when we completed the ArriveCAN on-line, it appeared on the guard's computer.  You do have to complete an ArriveCAN every time you cross.

We haven't filled in a Travellers Declaration card at the land border forever as we see to it we do not exceed the limit.  If you do exceed the limit, then you get sent in to the office where you give your info and pay whatever you owe.

We use the land border about every two weeks for shopping etc.

1 minute ago, TeaBag said:

We have used the land border twice last week and thinking of going again today.  We had a ton of stuff in our PO box and divided it up so as not to exceed the limit we were bringing back and therefore, avoid GST etc.

We have Nexus and that's all we needed going south.  Coming back we had completed and printed our ArriveCAN and the border guard told us we didn't need to do that.  Since we are Nexus holders, when we completed the ArriveCAN on-line, it appeared on the guard's computer.  You do have to complete an ArriveCAN every time you cross.

We haven't filled in a Travellers Declaration card at the land border forever as we see to it we do not exceed the limit.  If you do exceed the limit, then you get sent in to the office where you give your info and pay whatever you owe.

We use the land border about every two weeks for shopping etc.

Thank you, good to know. I was used to the old way of filling out the "I Declare" form which was a PITA.

We just got back a few hours ago from a two day trip across the Niagara border and it was a breeze  coming back.  We also have Nexus and when we headed back,  I had my ArriveCan printout in my hand along with our hotel receipt and receipts for all our purchases. When we pulled up to the booth, it took the customs officer about 30 seconds before he opened the window  but we figured he was just checking us on his computer.  He asked the usual questions... how long were we gone for, how much did we spend, any beer, liquor or cigarettes and within 10 or 15 seconds, we were on our way.  I assumed he could "see" us on his computer and knew that we completed the ArriveCan app.  Never asked for any paperwork..receipts, etc.  The amount we spent was within the $200 each limit we were allowed.

I was honestly a bit nervous prior to completing the app because I'd heard some horror stories about people not getting their receipts, or the app not accepting their information, etc.  I was so happy when I got that email with the code on it.   

Going over, they had a large mobile, light-up sign (on wheels) that sits right at the start of the bridge (on the Canadian side) reminding people it's mandatory to complete the ArriveCan app before returning to Canada.  It's pretty hard to "miss" it if you're crossing.  I will feel much better next time we cross since I now know what to expect.   Nothing to be afraid of.

• Like 1