Minimum number of tours for YWC Discount

Host Jazzbeau

I know there are a zillion threads about the YWC Discount, but I haven't found an answer to this particular question.  On the "Optional Shore Excursions" pdf that came with my booking info, it says "you will save 25% off a la carte prices when you reserve a minimum of 6 shore excursions."

Does that mean 6 per cabin, or 6 per passenger?

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I know there are a zillion threads about the YWC Discount, but I haven't found an answer to this particular question.  On the "Optional Shore Excursions" pdf that came with my booking info, it says "you will save 25% off a la carte prices when you reserve a minimum of 6 shore excursions."

Pretty sure that’s per person. But there’s an easy way to figure it out for sure (other than calling O and asking).

In your own booking, pick 6 tours (doesn’t matter if they’re from your O Life allocation or paid ones). I suggest three per person. Put them in the cart.  
At the top of the Cart page, it will then tell you how many more tours you need for YWYW (at least, that’s how I remember it). I’m betting  it will say 6. In other words, your cruise’s 6 tour minimum will be per person. 
BTW, if you took the O life tours perk, those tours count toward the YWYW minimum and the Cart automatically assigns $0 to the most expensive of those allowable ones first.

Make sense?

Thanks.  I will verify the issue with Oceania, because as it stands I want to take 6 but DW only wants 5.

I just created a spreadsheet to track how Oceania assigned the O Life $400 per person OBC – it got complicated because they cancelled one port and substituted another, so the computer then changed all the OBC vs. credit card charges and credit card credits – thankfully it did tally correctly.

And it's still the case that I'm better off taking the $400 as OBC and using it for YMC costs [because of the particular shore excursions we are taking].  BUT if Oceania prohibits private excursions that math would change.  Is it still possible for me to switch O Life from OBC to Shorex?  [And if so, until how close to the cruise?]

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks.  I will verify the issue with Oceania, because as it stands I want to take 6 but DW only wants 5.

I just created a spreadsheet to track how Oceania assigned the O Life $400 per person OBC – it got complicated because they cancelled one port and substituted another, so the computer then changed all the OBC vs. credit card charges and credit card credits – thankfully it did tally correctly.

And it's still the case that I'm better off taking the $400 as OBC and using it for YMC costs [because of the particular shore excursions we are taking].  BUT if Oceania prohibits private excursions that math would change.  Is it still possible for me to switch O Life from OBC to Shorex?  [And if so, until how close to the cruise?]

Somewhere in the “fine print” (possibly the “promotions” in the “legal” section on the O website), it speaks to by when (deadline) you’ve got to do the O Life tours booking (two weeks prior ???).

FWIW, we’ve changed which O Life option we want without involving our TA - just called O.

BTW, I used to have all this stuff in the back f my head. But, no cruise for two years has taken its toll. So, please report back what you find out.

Thanks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, govanguy said:

I give in...What is YWC Discount?

If you’re asking about “YWYW” (Your World Your Way), a search here on CC will get you many threads that discuss the specifics. I know because I’ve explained it numerous times.

It’s also briefly explained of the first page of the excursions PDF you receive when you book an O cruise.

It also shows up on the Oceania website as 'Your World Collection' pricing.  That's one of the things that keeps folks coming back to ask – Oceania pricing is the least straightforward of any cruise line I've seen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Called Oceania this morning.

(1) The minimum number of shorex to get the YWC [YWYW] discount is per person

(2)  You can change the O Life option from OBC to Shorex up to 8 days prior to cruise

Good info, thanks.

Right now, we have the opposite issue. We currently have reserved three (rather than the included four) O Life excursions because we generally prefer boating excursions in the Caribbean. When one of our ports changed and that port’s booked excursion (the lovely catamaran with lobster lunch!) disappeared, our next boating choices already were filled. (We are on a waiting list but have no experience whether that has any meaning.) I really would prefer NOT to “waste” my fourth on transportation to a beach when I arrive and depart on a schedule I have not chosen personally. (Yes, we are so fortunate that this is “ an issue” considering how close those tornados hit in my part of the US.) 

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

I plan to revisit my O Life choices around 10 days before the cruise – after verifying that Oceania will allow us to DIY in ports and cancelling pre-booked shorex accordingly.  If the Shorex option is a big money saver, I'll go that way.  But if the $s are close, I'll stay with OBC – because [if I understand this correctly] if you cancel an O Life Shorex while onboard [or if they cancel it] you will only get back $100 OBC even if the cost would have been much higher, whereas with the OBC option you will get back exactly what you paid.

59 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I plan to revisit my O Life choices around 10 days before the cruise – after verifying that Oceania will allow us to DIY in ports and cancelling pre-booked shorex accordingly.  If the Shorex option is a big money saver, I'll go that way.  But if the $s are close, I'll stay with OBC – because [if I understand this correctly] if you cancel an O Life Shorex while onboard [or if they cancel it] you will only get back $100 OBC even if the cost would have been much higher, whereas with the OBC option you will get back exactly what you paid.

Either way you get exactly what you paid back since the oLife excursions cost you $100 each.

42 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Either way you get exactly what you paid back since the oLife excursions cost you $100 each.

It's more complicated.  Right now I've got 4 excursions that would count.  Some cost more than $100, some less.  Together they come out to right around $400.  If Celebrity cancels an expensive one, they only give me back $100.  But if I paid with OBC, they give me back more than $100. 

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I’m sure you’ve noticed that the O Life tours perk equates to the SBC perk (I.e., each tours initial “value” is $100. Ergo, your choice is 8 tours or $800 SBC; 6 tours or $600 SBC, etc

THAT’s why O cancelled O LIfe tours are credited $100. However, you can rebook a replacement allowable tour with a higher cost (just like when you first do the booking)

39 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's more complicated.  Right now I've got 4 excursions that would count.  Some cost more than $100, some less.  Together they come out to right around $400.  If Celebrity cancels an expensive one, they only give me back $100.  But if I paid with OBC, they give me back more than $100. 

Though understandable, that’s some VooDoo math. 

32 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though understandable, that’s some VooDoo math. 

Look, I would have taken your advice and booked 'cruise only,' but my TA's consortium gave me a 5% discount that required booking O Life.  So I'm just trying to make the best of it...

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Look, I would have taken your advice and booked 'cruise only,' but my TA's consortium gave me a 5% discount that required booking O Life.  So I'm just trying to make the best of it...

How about looking again at the allowable O Life tours and fill any remaining slots with whatever has the longest wait list e.g., the luxury catamaran in Bridgetown. It has been booked full for quite some time. But, perhaps you could call O and get on a waiting list if they have one. If, so, you’d probably be so far down the line that they’ll never get to you and then give you the SBC.

Worth a try?

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

How about looking again at the allowable O Life tours and fill any remaining slots with whatever has the longest wait list e.g., the luxury catamaran in Bridgetown. It has been booked full for quite some time. But, perhaps you could call O and get on a waiting list if they have one. If, so, you’d probably be so far down the line that they’ll never get to you and then give you the SBC.

Worth a try?

I don't really understand this strategy, but I think I'm OK with the OBC approach.  We have booked 2 dinners in La Reserve, so we'll use it up no matter what.  And I think we have the most flexibility with the OBC Option rather than being locked in to taking Shorex.  We are sure to get our $800 back on things we plan to do anyway, rather than distorting our choices to maximize Shorex 'value.'

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't really understand this strategy, but I think I'm OK with the OBC approach.  We have booked 2 dinners in La Reserve, so we'll use it up no matter what.  And I think we have the most flexibility with the OBC Option rather than being locked in to taking Shorex.  We are sure to get our $800 back on things we plan to do anyway, rather than distorting our choices to maximize Shorex 'value.'

I got it mixed up - thought you had taken to tours option.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

For our 10-day Baltic cruise, we only had to do 5 excursions to get the discount and it was per person, but my wife and I do the same ones anyway. But we ended up booking 6 anyway. We are doing a private 2-day tour in St Petersburg.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:04 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Worth a try?

Whoa... wait a minute.... So if I waitlist for an excursion and it does not clear I get an SBC?   

I waitlisted  - a while back - but phone rep said he did not have the means to find out how long the list was. Hmmmm....

And when does O deem the waitlist expired - is there a defined period before excursion?

6 hours ago, Homerody said:

Whoa... wait a minute.... So if I waitlist for an excursion and it does not clear I get an SBC?   

I waitlisted  - a while back - but phone rep said he did not have the means to find out how long the list was. Hmmmm....

And when does O deem the waitlist expired - is there a defined period before excursion?

Not sure if phone rep has immediate knowledge of wait list length. But, I do know the list exists and that it’s order is based on when you okayed being on it.

Once onboard, your tour tix will be on the desk in your cabin (along with other stuff). If the waitlisted tour tix are not there, check with the excursions desk folks about what happens when. I just can’t remember the specifics other than you can ask to switch tours right there. 

That said, if O cancels the tour or you don’t clear the waitlist, you get the original $100 value of the tour as SBC (usually added near the end of the cruise accounting) and you can select an allowable (<e.g., <$199) O Life replacement tour. You can also buy added tours onboard at the YWYW discounted price if you had the YWYW discount from before you boarded the ship.  

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not sure if phone rep has immediate knowledge of wait list length. But, I do know the list exists and that it’s order is based on when you okayed being on it.

Once onboard, your tour tix will be on the desk in your cabin (along with other stuff). If the waitlisted tour tix are not there, check with the excursions desk folks about what happens when. I just can’t remember the specifics other than you can ask to switch tours right there. 

That said, if O cancels the tour or you don’t clear the waitlist, you get the original $100 value of the tour as SBC (usually added near the end of the cruise accounting) and you can select an allowable (<e.g., <$199) O Life replacement tour. You can also buy added tours onboard at the YWYW discounted price if you had the YWYW discount from before you boarded the ship.  

Good to know.  Thanks.