Re-entry into US; was that easy!

RedneckBob

Hello everyone. Me and the Misses just returned from a incredible b2b cruise on the Apex, returned yesterday on 12/11/2021. Boy, have things changed going through checkout in the terminal before being released outside into the US when returning off a cruise ship. I remember the days when I had to put on special makeup to cover those little sweat beads coming down the side of my face and not acting like a nervous Don Knott as I tried to bring that five dollar tee shirt through US Customs without declaring it on that lengthy US Declaration Form.

Well yesterday as our left the ship, entered the terminal, then picked up our luggage, I expected another lengthy customs checkout. As I approached the inspection person we were told told just walk out of the door of the terminal; no US Customs review, no facial recognition, nothing. I never knew it was now so easy to come into US. (hope that is not too political)

• Like 1

I departed the Apex yesterday also and was surprised there was no need to show passports or do a facial scan. Maybe because they saw our documents (passport, vaccine card, test results) when boarding and they know who departs from the sea pass scan, they decided to simplify the terminal process. 

42 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

I departed the Apex yesterday also and was surprised there was no need to show passports or do a facial scan. Maybe because they saw our documents (passport, vaccine card, test results) when boarding and they know who departs from the sea pass scan, they decided to simplify the terminal process. 

I got off the Silly November 22nd and was also a breeze.  Getting back into Canada not so easy customs hall jam packed and 50 at a time allowed off the plane. Then randomly picked for additional PCR test. Flight landed 5 30 and was out of terminal 7 15. 

A couple of weeks ago on Tampa, we found the whole Customs process perfunctory at best. 

Asked aboard for 6059B forms (the standard one you'd fill in if flying into the U.S.) and they didn't have any.  Figured that would delay our re-entry while finding and filling one out at the pier.  Not so.

No forms at the pier, either. 

I had carefully separated purchases into AGR (American Goods Returned) for some American-made jewelry, St. Thomas purchases where there's a double exemption, and "other" that was subject to the standard exemption.  Total waste of time.

CBP agent seemed interested only in quantities of booze and smokes.  That's all he was asking about. Could have brought through the British crown jewels for all he cared.

I have to agree, facial recognition is the current norm and the future.    On Equinox we never saw an agent,  We just walked up to a line and a green check mark showed on the screen showing you were cleared.   If you got a big Red X you had to talk to an agent.

On Millennium all passengers were cleared on-board in the Sky Lounge.   Once you cleared you got a sticker on you SeaPass.   They did have agents but the agent used an IPhone like camera and snapped a picture and it returned a Green Check Mark .   She took one glance at my passport and said thanks for your time.