What makes a Christmas cruise special?

Presto2

Well, we decided to book a Christmas fly / cruise on Azura to the Canary Islands. It goes on the 23rd so we get Christmas and the New Year on the ship.

Ok, it isn't until 2023 but hubby is excited as he has always wanted to spend Christmas on a cruise.

Thought it would be good for you all to share the good things about a Christmas cruise with us to get us in the mood a) for Christmas and b) for our cruise ---- though it is years away.

If there are some negative things, keep it to a minimum 😉

• Like 1

We did Christmas and New year a few years ago and loved it, the general Christmassy feel  with the ship decorated up, the piper piping dinner in, the Carol concert on Christmas eve, topped off by the deck party on New years eve in Madeira. JUst soak it up and enjoy.

• Like 2

We did just the one Christmas cruise on Arcadia. It was only a week long, from 20th Dec to 27th December

I liked the way the ship was decorated and the gingerbread village that popped up over night.

I liked that everyone gathered on the back deck on a snowy Christmas Eve in Oslo to sing carols and watch Father Christmas arrive by climbing out of the funnel.

Christmas Day itself I found to be a bit odd, as it seemed very quiet and subdued on the ship, but the dinner was nice in the evening.

I also liked the panto style show on Boxing Day afternoon

I did a Christmas ( but not New Year) cruise with my eldest granddaughter in 2017 on Aurora before she became an adult-only ship.There were no negatives Presto2 - it was just fabulous. The ship was decorated beautifully, the choir on the Atrium steps on Christmas Eve sang everyone's favourite carols, in tune, and Christmas Day dinner was everything you could ask for. When we docked in Denmark and Sweden the snow was falling quite heavily as we cruised into both ports. Magical. Jane.x 

• Like 4

Christmas on board is just amazing! I usually prefer an "adults only" ship but the only time i make an exception is for a Christmas cruise - the excited children make it. There are carol services, nativity plays, pantomime, an officers choir concert - and so many more "Christmassy" things. Santa leaves every passenger a present too. This will be my third (or, maybe fourth) cruise over Christmas - and I have them booked for the next two years. I hope you enjoy every minute of it!

• Like 4

We have never done a Christmas cruise because we like to spend time with our families though this will be the 2nd year that we have stayed at home.  We keep saying that we will do one because we usually do one immediately before Christmas and every time we get off the ship wishing that we were staying on because the Christmas decorations and trees are in place.  The best decorations in my opinion were on Queen Mary 2, they were truly spectacular, I will try some photos and post them.  The best ones we have seen on P&O were on Adonia.

• Like 1

Christmas feels different but in a good way … new year entertainment on deck has always been good … and no need for a mega bucks taxi home just a flight or two of stairs to your comfy bed … oh and the weather! (We’ve only fine Caribbean) it can only be better than uk 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

1355811914_IMG_3487(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.c134e608b73e261a44315706d38258c9.JPG

1995401953_IMG_3533(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.df5f620daad3c8ce70074cee6d9397ca.JPG

685922801_IMG_3550(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.1b88de3bf51b57ee512d3495f8860586.JPG

1769425240_IMG_3630(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.df60c5e3c980ff9e7370dd8ed260dd02.JPG

1938262883_IMG_3711(2020_06_2715_01_18UTC).thumb.JPG.f59236b8b8bdf838070986494180746e.JPG

Looks very much like Adonia or another "R" ship, but not Christmas 2015? The ships look lovely from December with decorations and gingerbread village etc. Only been on over Christmas in 2015, Sarah and her crew really made an effort to provide all the Christmas activities including ladies queuing to sit on Santa's knee on a sea day. The only complaint heard was some would have preferred to have the main meal at lunch time on Christmas day. What will be the Christmas present from P&O this year?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Looks very much like Adonia or another "R" ship, but not Christmas 2015? The ships look lovely from December with decorations and gingerbread village etc. Only been on over Christmas in 2015, Sarah and her crew really made an effort to provide all the Christmas activities including ladies queuing to sit on Santa's knee on a sea day. The only complaint heard was some would have preferred to have the main meal at lunch time on Christmas day. What will be the Christmas present from P&O this year?

Yes on Adonia Christmas Markets cruise 2014

• Like 1

We did a Christmas cruise on Aurora in 2015 and absolutely loved it, it just felt really special, the ship all decorated up and everyone feeling festive - so many Christmas jumpers! The Christmas Eve show in the theatre was just jolly and fun, the special menu's on Christmas Eve and Christmas day were a lovely touch too.  There was even a gift and card from P&O left in the cabin on Christmas Eve night!   We wanted a cold Christmas rather than a sunny one.  We were booked to go again this year, we would have been sailing on Monday but alas P&O cancelled it (for some unknown reason!) 😞  but we're trying again and have booked Arcadia for next year. 

• Thanks 1