eMed Covid-19 Testing process - appointment?

nanseev

I ordered and received my 6 testing kids from eMed.  I received the Abbott BinaxNOW Home Tests.  I want to test on Friday for my Sunday cruise.  The packaging *clearly* says Do Not Open until instructed to do so.  OK - I won't open.  On the front of the package, it says to download the Navica App, and "create an account prior to your appointment".  Downloaded - done.  Account created - done.  Here's the problem.....what now?  I can't figure out where to "make my appointment"???  Do I need an appointment?  How do the next steps work?  I need to test on Friday, and I just don't know what to do from here...and if I need a "virtual" appointment in advance or what?  There are no additional directions on the box, and nothing that I can find on the app.  There's an "I Have a Test" icon on the app, but it wants me to scan the barcode, and I'm afraid if I do that now, I have to test now (not Friday).  But I also don't want to wait until Friday and have them tell me "Oh, you needed an appointment..."

Who has done these tests and can tell me what steps are next?

There's no appointment. When they first started, apparently there were long waits. I did two tests in September, so hopefully my info is still valid. I did mine at about 9 am Eastern Time. No wait, got right "in".

I used my iPad and set it up on the table so the proctor can see me and the table. The test kit stays in view of the camera. First, the site will test your device for sound and picture, and will ask you to verify some things. Then the proctor comes on and talks you through it step by step, plus the instructions will be on the screen. The hardest part for me was holding the QR code up to the back camera because it's kind of small.

It takes about 10 minutes, then you sit for 15 minutes while the chemicals do their thing. They actually let me get up and do stuff, as long as the kit stayed on camera. There is a counter, then after 15 minutes, it will ask if you're there, and click to continue. It was very smooth.

• Like 2

We haven’t had much luck logging onto NAVICA first and starting the test.  For some reason it doesn’t want to connect.

So…..we start by logging onto www.Emed.com first….which takes us to where we log onto NAVICA and we continue from there.  Not sure why that works better but it does…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Worth mentioning again .. the eMed website apparently doesn't like Chrome on iOS devices, so you may need to use Safari.

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. 

23 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

So…..we start by logging onto www.Emed.com first….which takes us to where we log onto NAVICA and we continue from there.  Not sure why that works better but it does…

Now that you mention it, I accessed the test through eMed, as well, and the app simply stored my results for when I needed to show it.

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

We haven’t had much luck logging onto NAVICA first and starting the test.  For some reason it doesn’t want to connect.

Same here, so I have given up on it and go straight to eMed, where you sign in to your Navica account.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jenzoe888 said:

Can they do all 3 in my family on 1 call or do we each have to start a session from scratch?

Three calls. 

but honestly, I didn’t ask. It was easier to gather the kids one at a time. 

I did have to say who was testing as part of logging in. And only allowed a single choice. So I’m making an assumption. 

Edited by AustinCruise
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, worldtravelista1 said:

I just scan the QR code on the box, and then it brings me to (I think?) eMed.com

These tests are super easy. 

You don’t open the box or scan the QR code until you are instructed to by the live proctor (after logging on to Emed when you are ready to test)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I admit that I'm deficient in spatial intelligence, but how do you arrange a handheld device so that your face and the table are in the frame at the same time?

You prop it up and tilt it until the proctor can see the table with your test on it. They will tell you if they can’t see if properly.

We have used our iPad and our phone and actually had better luck on our phone.  My husband helps hold mine in place while I am taking my test and  I do the same for him.

There was someone on the boards that did hers by herself and used a shoe to prop her phone in.  Some people buy a little tripod, but we do just fine with the way we help each other….

Edited by GTO-Girl

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I admit that I'm deficient in spatial intelligence, but how do you arrange a handheld device so that your face and the table are in the frame at the same time?

You basically move it as needed… tilt down when required. That was how we did it on a desktop using the independent webcam. There really wasn’t a way to set it up in a stable location that would not require some handling of the webcam (by yourself or as with@GTO-Girl ‘s experience with the help of a second person).

Edited by AlohaLivin

17 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I put the app on my tablet.  Dh has a phone and computer.  Can I add a 2nd account on my tablet for him or how do we do it?

You could do it on the same one, but it might be bit easier to use separate devices. You can actually sign on from their website on the PC to do the testing (we only used the app to get our results).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

How long are the tests good for? Right now they only have 6 packs on their web site and only need 2. How long will the other 4 be good for?

The ones we just got have an extended expiration date in March.