New York

nzlife

I don't know which port Seabourn will use I'd advise contacting your TA or Seabourn for certainty.

If it were me I would have the hotel set up a car service (unless its obscenely expensive).  A yellow taxi will probably get you there but there's also a decent possibility it could be a poor experience, maybe even life changing 😲.

Wall St is insanely busy during working hours but near desolate on weekends and after work hours (7PM).  I obviously don't know your entire situation but if you are planning a few days of sightseeing in NY the Wall St area is a poor place to base yourself.

If you have any other questions I'll do my best try help.

In 2019 they used the port on the West side of Manhatten, our pier was roughly around 49th street.  I would definately use a car service as opposed to a taxi.  In a taxi you could get stuck sitting in traffic while the meter runs or the driver could take you on a "detour", etc. and it might cost the same, plus a car service will undoubtly be a cleaner vehicle and - having lived in NY for many years and taken many a taxi - a car service driver will almost definately be more helpful and not to mention fluent in the English language.     

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nzlife said:

We are booked NY to Montreal on 16 Oct 22 .

Just had to do it in the end.

Which port will be used and is a taxi the best transport from Wall St area ?

Thanks in advance.

I second the advice not to stay in the Wall Street area. Lots of great hotels in mid-town Manhattan. I prefer the East side.

And do book a car service to take you to the ship.

I believe it will be the new(er) terminal in Brooklyn as opposed to W. Side of Manhattan.  

As a New Yorker (now living in the Arizona desert), if you want to hang out in NY for a couple of days beforehand and sightsee, I reco upper midtown - upper 50s, rather than 30s or 40s, and I def not Times Square.  Although Marriott Marquis is there that attracts tourists, the area is too touristy and crowded, and not very nice.  I believe the cruise leaves on a Sunday (as I have a hold on that cruise) so traffic will be super light.  I would feel comfortable having the hotel doorman hail me a cab, but I know where I’m going and can tell the cabbie my preferred route - and no cabbie would take me astray once they hear my NY accent -, but you might feel more comfortable with a pre-arranged car service.  

9 hours ago, Hobar said:

I believe it will be the new(er) terminal in Brooklyn as opposed to W. Side of Manhattan.  

As a New Yorker (now living in the Arizona desert), if you want to hang out in NY for a couple of days beforehand and sightsee, I reco upper midtown - upper 50s, rather than 30s or 40s, and I def not Times Square.  Although Marriott Marquis is there that attracts tourists, the area is too touristy and crowded, and not very nice.  I believe the cruise leaves on a Sunday (as I have a hold on that cruise) so traffic will be super light.  I would feel comfortable having the hotel doorman hail me a cab, but I know where I’m going and can tell the cabbie my preferred route - and no cabbie would take me astray once they hear my NY accent -, but you might feel more comfortable with a pre-arranged car service.  

I second this advice!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hobar said:

As a New Yorker (now living in the Arizona desert), if you want to hang out in NY for a couple of days beforehand and sightsee, I reco upper midtown - upper 50s, rather than 30s or 40s, and I def not Times Square.  Although Marriott Marquis is there that attracts tourists, the area is too touristy and crowded, and not very nice. 

Just before the pandemic we stayed at The Kimberly Hotel on East 50th St, just east of Lexington Ave. 

It is a wonderful hotel in a great location.  Check it out.   Stay on the East side unless you are looking in the Central Park South area.  

Do avoid Times Square!

Having spent most of my adult life working in NYC I haven't stayed in that many hotels but had thousands of people visit on business who did.  Full disclosure this is all before Covid.

Definitely agree on not staying at Times Square or Broadway (Theatre District) and focusing on the 50's & 60's (east side).

If money isn't an object The Lowell, St Regis & Plaza Athenee (not to be confused with The Plaza) get high marks.  There are also many fine hotels that are more reasonable in the same area.

If you are dead set on staying in Lower Manhattan I've heard good things about The Greenwich Hotel (Tribeca) which I believe is coincidently owned by Robert DeNiro who also was in a movie where he played a  NYC Taxi Driver. 

If the Yankees or Mets are in the playoffs the hotels could be crowded.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 6:50 PM, 2SailingNomads said:

In 2019 they used the port on the West side of Manhatten, our pier was roughly around 49th street.  I would definately use a car service as opposed to a taxi.  In a taxi you could get stuck sitting in traffic while the meter runs or the driver could take you on a "detour", etc. and it might cost the same, plus a car service will undoubtly be a cleaner vehicle and - having lived in NY for many years and taken many a taxi - a car service driver will almost definately be more helpful and not to mention fluent in the English language.     

In NYC (where we often travel to see our grandchildren) it is very easy to use Uber/Lyft which is somewhat less expensive then reserving many car services.  If you want to spend a little more money you can even use the Uber Luxury option which will usually get you a luxurious drive.    Nothing wrong with the Yellow Cabs (we still consider ourselves New Yorkers at heart and have often used cabs) although some cab drivers will not be happy (and may even refuse) a fare to Red Hook because they are doubtful about getting a return fare.  

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/13/2021 at 3:33 AM, nzlife said:

We are booked NY to Montreal on 16 Oct 22 .

Just had to do it in the end.

Which port will be used and is a taxi the best transport from Wall St area ?

Thanks in advance.

A direct answer, a taxi would be fine from anywhere in Manhattan to either the Manhattan or the Brooklyn terminals.  

Am I correct to assume you are living in New Zeeland?  

By the way, I just booked the same cruise today.  We had previously done almost the reverse cruise in 2016 - Montreal to Boston.  If you have any questions, let me know

I use a taxi or Uber when going to airport or cruise terminal.  My neighbor has recommended a car service

which is reliable and less expensive.  Unfortunately cruise critic doesn't permit us to use actual names-- but their phone number is all 7's. 

I am also considering booking this cruise. According to the NY port schedule Quest is scheduled to dock in Manhattan (See schedule)

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Any hotel in midtown will be close. Still planning and hoping it isn’t too late in the season to the see the changing of the leaves. This is a really nice itinerary. 

11 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

I am also considering booking this cruise. According to the NY port schedule Quest is scheduled to dock in Manhattan (See schedule)

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Any hotel in midtown will be close. Still planning and hoping it isn’t too late in the season to the see the changing of the leaves. This is a really nice itinerary. 

You should be ok with the changing of the leaves in the US portion, here is Maine.

https://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/whenandwhere/

I would recommend adding a pre cruise trip to upstate NY or Vermont for the full experience.  It was discussed here.