Boarding the Riviera - Dec. 13, 2021

lj77346

12 hours ago, ak1004 said:

As our cruise comes to an end, it's time for some final thoughts. 

Great cruise overall with a few negatives.

First time after 15 cruises there was no single guest lecture and no show on the last night.

Entertainment not bad but not great. Daily activities very poor. Cruise director basically invisible. 

Otherwise a great experience. Fantastic food and service as expected.

Will be posting a full review when we are vack.

Who is your CD?

Last day of the Riviera cruise and we were not able to go to Great Stirrup Caye because wind and wave conditions did not allow for safe tender operations. Started heading towards Miami around 1 p.m. At least it’s a beautiful sunny day.

Yesterday as we were heading from Costa Maya, we had to divert towards Key West because of a medical emergency onboard. A small Coast Guard ship came alongside around 6 p.m. and after a short time, someone in a stretcher was passed to the Coast Guard staff (to cheers and applause) and they headed back to Key West.

This was our second cruise since sailing resumed (the other was on Celebrity to Alaska in September). We had a very enjoyable time on the Riviera - lots of space with only a little over 700 passengers onboard. From what we heard, the Christmas cruise is about a full ship.  We’re looking forward to our cruise on the Sirena in February 2022.

Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy 2022 to all!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ak1004 said:

As our cruise comes to an end, it's time for some final thoughts. 

Great cruise overall with a few negatives.

First time after 15 cruises there was no single guest lecture and no show on the last night.

Entertainment not bad but not great. Daily activities very poor. Cruise director basically invisible. 

Otherwise a great experience. Fantastic food and service as expected.

Will be posting a full review when we are vack.

Thanks very much for posting your thoughts on your cruise, which I have found both helpful and reassuring. (Note that we never have had a show in the main lounge on the last night of any Oceania cruise we have taken; sometimes an early (pre-dinner) show in Horizons but not a 9:30 pm main event show.) Safe travels home and Happy New Year 2022.

Edited by CintiPam

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

Note that we never have had a show in the main lounge on the last night of any Oceania cruise we have taken; sometimes an early (pre-dinner) show in Horizons but not a 9:30 pm main event show.

That's the (sad) packing time.  Would be very low attendance, and dispiriting for the entertainers.

• Like 1

Glad to hear recent Covid testing time was short. On 12/3 departure it took almost 2 hours. 
It was very orderly, just took time.  
Food and service excellent. New menu items added throughout and some items removed. 
Agree with a previous post that Caribbean cruises with 3-4 sea days should have better activities.  Bracelet weaving and needlepoint were two “activities”. I know we’re not the youngest cruisers but we’re still active enough for something more exciting than that! 

The band playing at the pool were very good….they should do two sets on sea days. 
Going to Caribbean again 2/7. However, going to cancel 17 day European cruise in May. Having to make Final Payment 5 months in advance is just too risky. Can always rebook closer to sail date….many cabins available. 

4 hours ago, Jayne E said:

Glad to hear recent Covid testing time was short. On 12/3 departure it took almost 2 hours. 
It was very orderly, just took time.  
Food and service excellent. New menu items added throughout and some items removed. 
Agree with a previous post that Caribbean cruises with 3-4 sea days should have better activities.  Bracelet weaving and needlepoint were two “activities”. I know we’re not the youngest cruisers but we’re still active enough for something more exciting than that! 

The band playing at the pool were very good….they should do two sets on sea days. 
Going to Caribbean again 2/7. However, going to cancel 17 day European cruise in May. Having to make Final Payment 5 months in advance is just too risky. Can always rebook closer to sail date….many cabins available. 

Since your post shows you are in Boynton Beach,  hope you don't mind a personal question.  We are staying in Boynton for a week prior to the 2/7 cruise.  Is driving into Miami on a Monday morning and trying to find the port lot difficult if we aren't familiar with Miami?  Or are we best off driving to Miami 2/6  and staying at a hotel with a park and cruise deal and a shuttle to the port.  Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, espmass said:

Since your post shows you are in Boynton Beach,  hope you don't mind a personal question.  We are staying in Boynton for a week prior to the 2/7 cruise.  Is driving into Miami on a Monday morning and trying to find the port lot difficult if we aren't familiar with Miami?  Or are we best off driving to Miami 2/6  and staying at a hotel with a park and cruise deal and a shuttle to the port.  Thanks so much.

We are on the January 4 Riviera departure and plan to drive from Vero Beach to Miami the morning of the cruise and park at the pier.  Once less step to worry about.  Pier parking is expensive but worth it for us.  Boynton Beach is much closer than Vero.  So no issues there unless there's a freak accident on the way.

4 hours ago, espmass said:

I have a driver take us. Takes about 75 minutes as there’s always some traffic. You should leave after rush hour. No earlier than 10 AM.  Oceania is Terminal J and parking is across from the terminal.  Road Signs are good but using Waze or Apple Car Play better. 

40 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

I have a driver take us. Takes about 75 minutes as there’s always some traffic. You should leave after rush hour. No earlier than 10 AM.  Oceania is Terminal J and parking is across from the terminal.  Road Signs are good but using Waze or Apple Car Play better. 

Driver as in Uber or a friend?  Thanks for the info.  Thanks to emckeeve too.  Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

9 hours ago, espmass said:

We are staying in Boynton for a week prior to the 2/7 cruise.  Is driving into Miami on a Monday morning and trying to find the port lot difficult if we aren't familiar with Miami?  Or are we best off driving to Miami 2/6  and staying at a hotel with a park and cruise deal and a shuttle to the port.  Thanks so much.

Continued thread hijack alert...

Easy drive from Boynton to Miami Dodge Island pier and port parking. Probably most convenient parking at port garage. I've parked at downtown Miami lots (sketchy) and rental car returns - not as convenient.  You don't really need hotel park and cruise as you are already in S. Fla. though you could do the math and see if the savings in port parking is a significant delta. Looks like port parking is up to $25/day. - Uber/private car instead?

Couple more notes:

~Agree re: significant lack of onboard activities. Ho hum.

~But the library was to die for--best we've seen in 33 cruises! AND the books were shelved in order, by category and alphabetized, amazing.

~Asst. CD Charlie was excellent--young (40!) and energetic. 

~Bellagio strings, a quartet from the show band, was likewise excellent; in addition to nightly performances outside Martinis in the Grand Hall (?), one night they did a rock concert in the theater--Purple Haze, etc. really ROCKED!

~The dancers were very good, as were 3 of the 6 singers... Great sets and costumes too. Pretty impressive for a small troupe.

~The Show Band--that is, the rest of the band minus the strings--was just okay when they played each evening in Horizons before dinner. A shame as on some ships that is the star band.

~There was a just okay pianist in Martinis (Billy Joel & Elton John type).

~ The really fab band was the one that played by the pool and nights in Horizons (the house band; think HALcats)! Sync Session was surprisingly good--tight, upbeat, completely on top of their game. Each late night had a theme--70s rock, 90s radio, 50s-60s hits--and they always killed it. Including the Whitney Houston tribute, about which I had had doubts... Hotel California was astonishing (lead guitar). Pretty much no one was ever there--maybe 10-15 people max and fewer on the dance floor.  But on the last night, the entire production cast--not just the dancers and singers but all the backstage folks too--showed up to party and we "rocked it til we docked it."

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 2:25 PM, Jockocruiser said:

Continued thread hijack alert...

Easy drive from Boynton to Miami Dodge Island pier and port parking. Probably most convenient parking at port garage. I've parked at downtown Miami lots (sketchy) and rental car returns - not as convenient.  You don't really need hotel park and cruise as you are already in S. Fla. though you could do the math and see if the savings in port parking is a significant delta. Looks like port parking is up to $25/day. - Uber/private car instead?

Still $22. per day & worth every penny for the convenience...I could see my parked car from Waves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Couple more notes:

~Agree re: significant lack of onboard activities. Ho hum.

~But the library was to die for--best we've seen in 33 cruises! AND the books were shelved in order, by category and alphabetized, amazing.

~Asst. CD Charlie was excellent--young (40!) and energetic. 

~Bellagio strings, a quartet from the show band, was likewise excellent; in addition to nightly performances outside Martinis in the Grand Hall (?), one night they did a rock concert in the theater--Purple Haze, etc. really ROCKED!

~The dancers were very good, as were 3 of the 6 singers... Great sets and costumes too. Pretty impressive for a small troupe.

~The Show Band--that is, the rest of the band minus the strings--was just okay when they played each evening in Horizons before dinner. A shame as on some ships that is the star band.

~There was a just okay pianist in Martinis (Billy Joel & Elton John type).

~ The really fab band was the one that played by the pool and nights in Horizons (the house band; think HALcats)! Sync Session was surprisingly good--tight, upbeat, completely on top of their game. Each late night had a theme--70s rock, 90s radio, 50s-60s hits--and they always killed it. Including the Whitney Houston tribute, about which I had had doubts... Hotel California was astonishing (lead guitar). Pretty much no one was ever there--maybe 10-15 people max and fewer on the dance floor.  But on the last night, the entire production cast--not just the dancers and singers but all the backstage folks too--showed up to party and we "rocked it til we docked it."

+1. We have always found the late night entertainment and fun in Horizons to be especially good. On a string of sea days, and no need to be up early for shore tours, they are a great way to break out of routine and enjoy the moment. It is sad those functions are so poorly attended.

• 4 weeks later...

Fascinating to read the thoughts now as my wife & I had a most wonderful 1st ever cruise on this specific W. Caribbean voyage. While there was no lecture, when I mentioned that on the mid-cruise survey the CD Paul Baya called me that evening to say you could watch former lectures on the TV. So I did watch a couple. Paul also was present at the Veterans' gathering early on the cruise which was great as I would interact with the veterans during the cruise. I think about 33 of us were at the informal gathering. Just so thankful that the embarkation went so smooth, as we arrived at 11 and were on the ship by 1145. And the disembarkation was a breeze, too. We did our own excursions at every port so we didn't worry much about on-board activities, though we did enjoy the comic's 2nd show (clean & funny). Being worn out during the day excursions we just enjoyed the salt-water pool and the various places to eat! All fantastic. Can't say enough good things about our A4 Concierge room on deck 9. Quiet & comfortable! Our stewards & the concierge were outstanding. So a most memorable cruise & we scheduled our 2nd for Nov 22 in the E. Caribbean on Sirena.

• Like 1