Uncertainty with upcoming cruise.

mklions

From watching the news today It seems increasingly likely that the UK will enter another covid lockdown straight after Christmas.

We are booked to sail on the QE going down to the Canaries on 6th Jan. 

It may be our government introducing travel restrictions or the Spanish authorities not letting us in.

Should I wait and see what happens? or talk to my TA and re-book for later date?

If I wait until Cunard cancels the cruise will they offer me an alternative cruise date with a 125% FCC or just refund my money?

Thanks.

Mklions.

After going online to pay final balance and finding it very wrong, I  spent over an hour on phone trying to get through to Cunard. So, have just paid for 18th January cruise and we intend going even if it turns into a “seacation ”trip.

We will happily be pampered , wined and dined for 12 days!

• Like 1

We understand your concerns.  We are on the 30th January cruise, on which the final balance is due at the end of this month.  There has been much to and fro - should we go or not?  We are both fully jabbed and boostered but, in our 70s can we go through all the tests and paperwork required both before and during the cruise.  The reason for booking this cruise was to be able to go ashore and enjoy the Canaries winter sunshine, so it would be disappointing to spend 14 days on the boat.  There is,of course, no definitive answer.  Good luck with your decision.

Yes we are also on the 6th January cruise,  if it sails we will be on it- testing allowing, double vax and boosted -  it would be disappointing not to get off in the Canaries, but it’s out of our hands.  So will try to go with the flow and have a fabulous time .

• Like 2

I like the positivity of the responses to my post. If the cruise sails we will be on it ( providing we pass the covid tests).

Just hope Cunard don't cancel the cruise.

Staycation will be fine with us along as they sail as south as possible for some winter sunshine!

• Like 1

We are on this cruise too. Happy if we stay aboard throughout. Regardless some warmth will be nice anyway.. I have just worked out they have swapped Gran Canaria for La Palma. Pity, we wanted to see the volcano(while having every sympathy for those affected by it it would be a dramatic sight and they are appealing for paying visitors.)

8 hours ago, mklions said:

From watching the news today It seems increasingly likely that the UK will enter another covid lockdown straight after Christmas.

We are booked to sail on the QE going down to the Canaries on 6th Jan. 

It may be our government introducing travel restrictions or the Spanish authorities not letting us in.

Should I wait and see what happens? or talk to my TA and re-book for later date?

If I wait until Cunard cancels the cruise will they offer me an alternative cruise date with a 125% FCC or just refund my money?

Thanks.

Mklions.

I dont think you will be able to transfer your cruise as it is after the balance date so your only option is if they cancel  get full refund or have a FCC if you plan to cruise again with Cunard. I do not think they will just turn it into a Seacation and we were also in the same boat (no pun intended) as we were booked on 18th January cruise with a balance due Sunday (tomorrow) and I could see this was going to happen so we transferred our cruise until later date. We go through to Cunard very quickly and was dealt with very efficiently by the person on the telephone.

I am also on the Jan. 18th cruise and do NOT want a seacation as I will have had one on the transatlantic over on Jan. 3rd.  And because I'm doing both cruises, I can't really move the 18th one to something else, otherwise I will be sitting in Southampton til my return flight on Feb. 1st.  Surely if Spain shuts it's doors, the cruise will be cancelled.

11 minutes ago, comcox said:

I am also on the Jan. 18th cruise and do NOT want a seacation as I will have had one on the transatlantic over on Jan. 3rd.  And because I'm doing both cruises, I can't really move the 18th one to something else, otherwise I will be sitting in Southampton til my return flight on Feb. 1st.  Surely if Spain shuts it's doors, the cruise will be cancelled.

Gosh! My 10th Jan was only to Germany.... And they've just blocked us!

10 minutes ago, johnnylikely said:

Gosh! My 10th Jan was only to Germany.... And they've just blocked us!

I am going to try calling Cunard today, but the U.S. office doesn't open until 9 am, to see what may be happening.  My final payment for the Jan. 18th cruise is due today and on "automatic" so I don't know if I have any options.  The Jan. 3 cruise is already fully paid.

20 minutes ago, comcox said:

I am going to try calling Cunard today, but the U.S. office doesn't open until 9 am, to see what may be happening.  My final payment for the Jan. 18th cruise is due today and on "automatic" so I don't know if I have any options.  The Jan. 3 cruise is already fully paid.

Good luck! Cunard UK is closed today, if possible could you ask about 10th Jan to Germany haha

Keep us updated!

Don't worry about something you cannot control.  Enjoy  whatever version of a cruise you can have.

By Jan Omicron will be the dominant variant across Europe,  bans won't make sense, but that doesn't mean they won't happen ( covid restrictions arent always logical )

The sun 10 miles off Canaries will be just as strong. , Cunard could compensate by going further south. The ship will be just as nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Don't worry about something you cannot control.  Enjoy  whatever version of a cruise you can have.

By Jan Omicron will be the dominant variant across Europe,  bans won't make sense, but that doesn't mean they won't happen ( covid restrictions arent always logical )

The sun 10 miles off Canaries will be just as strong. , Cunard could compensate by going further south. The ship will be just as nice.

Let's hope so.

It's the uncertancy that's so frustrating, not knowing if we are going, the difficulty with planning,( car parking, booking a pre cruise hotel for the night etc.)

2 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

Good luck! Cunard UK is closed today, if possible could you ask about 10th Jan to Germany haha

Keep us updated!

The Cunard U.K. office is closed on Sundays, but according to the website the U.S. office is open.  I will post whatever information I can get from them, if any.

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

But that's just it I don't want just any cruise, especially one to nowhere and booked in an inside cabin.  And I've been to the Canaries before and have no interest in returning there.

1 hour ago, mklions said:

Let's hope so.

It's the uncertancy that's so frustrating, not knowing if we are going, the difficulty with planning,( car parking, booking a pre cruise hotel for the night etc.)

Or whether you're going to be bursting with health or wired up on a ventilator.

4 hours ago, comcox said:

The Cunard U.K. office is closed on Sundays, but according to the website the U.S. office is open.  I will post whatever information I can get from them, if any.

I talked to the U.S. office and the only information they have is from Friday and that all January cruises will be going as planned.  They would not extend the payment due date so I have to decide now whether to forfeit the $100 deposit and cancel or chance losing another $2400 if it becomes a cruise to nowhere or somewhere I don't want to go.

41 minutes ago, comcox said:

I talked to the U.S. office and the only information they have is from Friday and that all January cruises will be going as planned.  They would not extend the payment due date so I have to decide now whether to forfeit the $100 deposit and cancel or chance losing another $2400 if it becomes a cruise to nowhere or somewhere I don't want to go.

Gosh thx!!! Gd lk