A Canadian take on cruising...(live when I have internet)

xcell

It's been over 2 years since my last cruise.  Hi, I'm Jermaine, and I'm a cruiseaholic.

Our flight was with WestJet, from Toronto to Miami at 9:40 am. We live downtown Toronto and left at 6 am arrived and parked by 6:40. I booked a parking spot at terminal 3, preferred parking. If you book that, as you pull up to the lot (that's the left lane), swing over to the far right to use the preferred parking entrance. We had a hiccup, as a car in front was having a hard time getting in. Security told us to use the lane beside the preferred parking but once in, I noticed that the preferred parking spots was on another area which I couldn't get access to. Worried about how busy the airport was going to be, we just parked and left. HINT #1: take a picture of your parking spot for future reference.

The airport was busy. It's been a while since we traveled, so I was not sure where to go. You can go to any kiosk to do the check in/baggage tags but if you are traveling to the USA, walk all the way to the end on your right (as you enter the terminal) for the international luggage drop off. International travel area wasn't too busy but the baggage drop off line was long as they only had 3 drop off conveyors open (I think they had over 12 that they could have used). Thank god for Nexus, as it was a short line, no line actually, to go through security and customs. The Nexus line was on the right side and everything associated with Nexus made the process seamless. Weird thing was that no one asked to see the negative rapid antigen test we were so stressed about the night before. Was that what the attestation form you had to declare when doing the flight check in? My wife did that, so I didn't know what that was about.

We boarded on time but sat on the tarmac for 2.5 hours. I think the airport was understaffed or at least that's what they said was the cause for the delay (probably why only 3 baggage drop offs were open). My wife said the guy behind her coughed for the entire time and she was just thinking, "I hope i don't get covid." Other than that and the delay, the flight was ok. We landed and went to claim our bags. HINT #2: As you walk to the baggage claim area, there's screens to show which carousel to go to. It's right before you have to either turn left or right to get to the baggage carousels.

If you are booked at a hotel with a shuttle, head to door 23, then walk across the street. You could call the hotel to let them know you arrived but if it's midday, I think they just come every 30 mins. HINT #3: if you do call, ask them what color of van to look out for.  It doesn't matter where you stand (platform 21, 22, 23, etc..) because as the shuttles drive by, the drivers honk to see if you need a ride. If it's not your shuttle, you can politely  wave them off.  We just missed our shuttle as we approached the pick up area  but that's my fault because I didn't tell my family which hotel. HINT #4: 4 pairs of eyes are better than 1 - tell your family which hotel, mine saw the shuttle, the shuttle honked at them but because they didn't know, he left and we waited another 40 min.

We are staying at the Wyndham Garden International Airport. Check in was straight forward. All adults in the room are require to provide ID. There's a gasoline station beside the hotel where we bought water for our trip. A McDonald is on the other side but after reading some reviews that mentioned unsanitary conditions, I didn't want to risk food poisoning, so we ate at the hotel restaurant, The Pilot House. We had a burger, pizza, Cesar salad and chicken fingers.  The food was surprisingly good or we were famished after a long day of travel. If you have MSG sensitivity, there's a lot in the food, but that is my unscientific opinion as I tend to fall asleep quickly and get really thirsty with MSG. Thank god for the bottle water I bought at the Circle K gasoline station next door. It's a newly built hotel, so it's nice for a night before a cruise but if you are a light sleeper, you might want to book somewhere else. I can hear the roar of the airplanes and also the cars and trucks, whizzing by (remember,I live downtown Toronto, so just memories of home...too quiet and I can't sleep).

Next.... embarkation day...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scheduled to depart Toronto for our cruise in under 3 weeks. Looking forward to following your journey and your feedback for all protocols onboard now that masking required in all venues. Based on the outbreak on Symphony, hopefully this will help prevent some spread. Have such a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I'm looking forward to hearing how the return to Canada is. 

Just need to be prepared to possibly quarantine for up to 3 days if you are selected for testing upon arrival back in Canada. Based on the ministers announcement on Friday, they are targeting 23000 tests per day. Our relatives just came back one was subject to test and one wasn’t lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Just need to be prepared to possibly quarantine for up to 3 days if you are selected for testing upon arrival back in Canada. Based on the ministers announcement on Friday, they are targeting 23000 tests per day. Our relatives just came back one was subject to test and one wasn’t lol

Pre register for the switch health online so it's ready to send you your results....if you get selected

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Embarkation day....

Our designated check in to me was 12:30 to 1 pm but we were being kicked out at 11am, so we headed to the port.

Terminal A is the new Rccl port, in case you want to put it in for your Uber. From the airport vicinity to the port was $30-35 Uber XL ride. Funny, they say that you couldn't sit in the front seat but that's what my Uber guy said I could do. He wasn't even wearing his mask properly, half covered his nose....did not realize once we started. Windows were down so car was went ventilated and we were all wearing masks so I wasn't overly concerned.

Once at the port, the luggage porters took my luggage (hint for tip) and then line up to check in. At this point you need your negative rapid antigen test to get in.  To speed the line along, have it out and ready, and there was a guy asking everyone to do it but there's always someone/party that doesn't listen and holds up the line.  

Next was passport, vaccine certificate and the rapid antigen test - picture time and purple (your vaccinated wristband).  Don't tighten too tight because you cannot loosen and probably have to go to guest services to fix (that's what I plan to do next because I did it too my daughter).

The next was security and on to the ship to enjoy a little bit more close to normalcy in 15 minutes.

Once onboard, go to your muster station and get checked in. They will give you a presentation of how to put on the life preserver and your done...less than a few minutes. Alternatively, you can watch the demo on your rccl app and then check in at the muster station.  Solarium is a.noce quiet place for lunch or the central park. The buffet, depending on when you go could be quiet busy so we didn't go over.

Rooms opened around 2 pm and luggage was there.

The dinners were a better discount than prebooking. I went to deck 5 and there was the specialty kiosk and they were offering BOGO which was a better deal than prebooking.

Off to unpack...no internet for a few days ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, xcell said:

It's been over 2 years since my last cruise.  Hi, I'm Jermaine, and I'm a cruiseaholic.

Our flight was with WestJet, from Toronto to Miami at 9:40 am. We live downtown Toronto and left at 6 am arrived and parked by 6:40. I booked a parking spot at terminal 3, preferred parking. If you book that, as you pull up to the lot (that's the left lane), swing over to the far right to use the preferred parking entrance. We had a hiccup, as a car in front was having a hard time getting in. Security told us to use the lane beside the preferred parking but once in, I noticed that the preferred parking spots was on another area which I couldn't get access to. Worried about how busy the airport was going to be, we just parked and left. HINT #1: take a picture of your parking spot for future reference.

The airport was busy. It's been a while since we traveled, so I was not sure where to go. You can go to any kiosk to do the check in/baggage tags but if you are traveling to the USA, walk all the way to the end on your right (as you enter the terminal) for the international luggage drop off. International travel area wasn't too busy but the baggage drop off line was long as they only had 3 drop off conveyors open (I think they had over 12 that they could have used). Thank god for Nexus, as it was a short line, no line actually, to go through security and customs. The Nexus line was on the right side and everything associated with Nexus made the process seamless. Weird thing was that no one asked to see the negative rapid antigen test we were so stressed about the night before. Was that what the attestation form you had to declare when doing the flight check in? My wife did that, so I didn't know what that was about.

We boarded on time but sat on the tarmac for 2.5 hours. I think the airport was understaffed or at least that's what they said was the cause for the delay (probably why only 3 baggage drop offs were open). My wife said the guy behind her coughed for the entire time and she was just thinking, "I hope i don't get covid." Other than that and the delay, the flight was ok. We landed and went to claim our bags. HINT #2: As you walk to the baggage claim area, there's screens to show which carousel to go to. It's right before you have to either turn left or right to get to the baggage carousels.

If you are booked at a hotel with a shuttle, head to door 23, then walk across the street. You could call the hotel to let them know you arrived but if it's midday, I think they just come every 30 mins. HINT #3: if you do call, ask them what color of van to look out for.  It doesn't matter where you stand (platform 21, 22, 23, etc..) because as the shuttles drive by, the drivers honk to see if you need a ride. If it's not your shuttle, you can politely  wave them off.  We just missed our shuttle as we approached the pick up area  but that's my fault because I didn't tell my family which hotel. HINT #4: 4 pairs of eyes are better than 1 - tell your family which hotel, mine saw the shuttle, the shuttle honked at them but because they didn't know, he left and we waited another 40 min.

We are staying at the Wyndham Garden International Airport. Check in was straight forward. All adults in the room are require to provide ID. There's a gasoline station beside the hotel where we bought water for our trip. A McDonald is on the other side but after reading some reviews that mentioned unsanitary conditions, I didn't want to risk food poisoning, so we ate at the hotel restaurant, The Pilot House. We had a burger, pizza, Cesar salad and chicken fingers.  The food was surprisingly good or we were famished after a long day of travel. If you have MSG sensitivity, there's a lot in the food, but that is my unscientific opinion as I tend to fall asleep quickly and get really thirsty with MSG. Thank god for the bottle water I bought at the Circle K gasoline station next door. It's a newly built hotel, so it's nice for a night before a cruise but if you are a light sleeper, you might want to book somewhere else. I can hear the roar of the airplanes and also the cars and trucks, whizzing by (remember,I live downtown Toronto, so just memories of home...too quiet and I can't sleep).

Next.... embarkation day...

Did Westjet tell you to apply for the flight delay claim, you can find it on their website. Our flight was delayed, this was in September, and we each received a $400 refund, it took about a month after we applied.

3 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Things are changing real fast lately. Real fast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

By the way, that was a total red today on Kane. 

• Haha 1

Thanks for your review, I’m extra interested to hear how things go as we (also Canadians) are sailing on Oasis right after you, a B2B Dec 26 and Jan 2 (hopefully).  I read in another group that sailaway was delayed today, do you know why? Hope you have a wonderful time!

13 hours ago, Liverpoolfan181 said:

Our relatives just came back one was subject to test and one wasn’t lol

My guess is that at least one person from every travel party (living together) will likely be chosen for testing upon arrival until they can ramp up to testing everyone.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 12:40 AM, karebare22 said:

Thanks for your review, I’m extra interested to hear how things go as we (also Canadians) are sailing on Oasis right after you, a B2B Dec 26 and Jan 2 (hopefully).  I read in another group that sailaway was delayed today, do you know why? Hope you have a wonderful time!

I am think the delay was from people not checking into the muster station as they kept announcing that we could not port out until that was done. Although the muster drill was a lot easier, that would be the major negative as I don't not think everyone knew how to do it.

On 12/19/2021 at 2:37 PM, Bronx12 said:

Did Westjet tell you to apply for the flight delay claim, you can find it on their website. Our flight was delayed, this was in September, and we each received a $400 refund, it took about a month after we applied.

I'll have to check but thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

So we had a boardwalk balcony once and the annoying thing was the bell from the carousel going off every few minutes. The cp balcony is nice and quiet at night but during the day you can hear the band from the pool deck and that can be equally annoying and skip deck 12 as the announcement speakers are right outside your balcony.

Dinner was at chops which was way too much food, don't fill up on bread. We were going to the headliner but it was a ventriloquist, and when we went to the theater we wanted to sit in the back to escape if needed to but they would let us. They wanted us to fill in the seat in sequential order, so we left and headed for Sorrentos. Deck 4 was for the vaccinated and deck 5 for everyone else.

Perfect day cococay

Dock was at 8am and all onboard 3:30.

This was a perfect day. We didn't purchase anything extra, just headed over to the chill island and snorkelled off the beach. There were plenty of fish to stare at. There's a shack that serves funnel cake and mozzarella sticks further down the beach. 

We went back mid day to partake in the slides and rock climbing walls as there was no line ups (sea day much more people).

Dinner was at the solarium which we liked because of the quiet atmosphere. The menu does not change from night to night and this one was missing the lasagna, which we were looking forward to.

Saw the aqua show and off to bed.

Sorry I couldn't be to more in depth but everyone has different likes and dislikes, so I thought I'd just point out interesting fact. For example, if your a diamond and above, that QR code for the PCR is available in the diamond lounge. Also if you go on day 1 to guest services, they will give you the QR code but may not be ready to book, so you can just take a picture of it and use it later.

Day 2 Sea Day

Sea days are sea days, more crowded everywhere. Still not as bad as I remembered, meaning I could still find loungers available and the odd clam shell but nevertheless busier than before.

Today we went skating, there were two times and sign ups were 15 min before the skating times. I believe one was a 1:45 for sign up but go early to line up. I went at 1:30 and must have just missed the rush because we were 3rd in line (although there were people in studio B already signing up).  You pick a time and number of people (so only one has to come to do the sign up) and then come back 10 minutes before your designated time. Remember no shorts on the rink,only long pants.

Tonight was formal night, so dress up to take pictures. We walked the boardwalk around 4pm but didn't see any photographers, or line ups, then at 5pm we went down and the line up was long that we would miss our 5:30 dinner reservations.  If you want pictures, go very early. We skipped those pictures and on the way back to the cabin after dinner, headed to deck 8, central park. Less people in line but later, the line also lengthened. Depending on the photographer and group size in front of you, it goes relatively fast.

First dinner at the MDR and there was no social distancing. Not sure why they want 6 people only in an elevator and then stickers for people to stand apart but when sitting for dinner out chairs are almost hitting the next table's chairs. My wife was not impressed and you could see she was annoyed. After dinner, and CP pictures, I headed up to the Windjammer and noticed, the majority of MDR offerings were there, just not plated as nice. They also had fresh donut balls or for.us Canadians, extra large timbits.   They also had a crepes station, which was but free (they cooked the crepes in one area and loaded it separately on another). I also notice that they used different tongs for everything, even the 4 different donut balls.

I think it was the rocking of the ship and the extensive meal, not to mention my diamond drink vouchers, I crashed early.

St Thomas day

Woke up for morning stretches and end up joining a stretch class.

Then swam, bring goggles as the pools are salt water and terrible on the eyes.

Then off to the MDR for breakfast. I went to deck 3 which was for vaccinated guest but I saw plenty of families around with kids that cannot possibly vaccinated. When I asked the head waiter, they ensured me that the kids were vaccinated but those must be the tiniest 5 year olds.

The funny thing is that they made you social distance to line up to get inside but once inside it is not inforced. Even in the morning where there is plenty of room for families to sit apart, I'm sitting less than 2 feet from the next table. So warning for those that are very nervous of distance, you might want to get a dining package to get better separation. Chops was nice because you could sit outside with better ventilation.  Again, these are just my observations, not saying what's right or wrong, just giving people an idea of what to expect.

As we were docking at st. Thomas, the ultimate abyss, zip line and surfing pools were relatively empty, so best time for me to try. We ported at crown bay which has no interesting shops. I'll post the taxi fares. My daughter and I decide to walk downtown but never made it...a nice walk.

As you are walking from crown bay, there's a bank, popular securities which had free wifi, plus half way between our walk with shade to rest.

Since we were leaving late (7:30pm), most were not back onboard, so pictures had less of a line up. I was able to do three different backdrops in less time than one the day before on formal night.  

PXL_20211222_174233784.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1