Princess cruise Feb 2022 - Cancel for any reason with Princess' Vacation Protection insurance - FCC good how long?

PaperSniper4

On 12/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, PaperSniper4 said:

I asked my TA these questions an hour or so ago; I just heard from my TA:

1. What portion from my invoice will be refunded as cash, and what portion is refunded as a future cruise credit <aka FCC>? If you don't know, who do I contact for the answer?   $239.92 per person FCC - $2955.34 Refunded back to card used
  2. Until when is any FCC valid?  What's the deadline, if there is one, for scheduling a cruise for which I can use the FCC?  2 Years – DEC 2023
  3. Do I need to contact AON, the Princess Vacation Protection insurance company?  NO -
  4. Were the Princess EZ-Fare flights cancelled along with the cruise itself? Will that result in an FCC or money refunded to my CC? - Refunded part of the refund

I ended up loosing my non-refundable deposit, and of course the Princess insurance charge. So around $500. Still, I will no longer have to worry about getting quarantined or stuck somewhere or even getting sick! <g> Having two years to use that $239.92 FCC is very good news.

Doug

Did you get FCC with a 2 year expiry as mentioned in your post? Under Cancel with confidence?

5 minutes ago, dog said:

Did you get FCC with a 2 year expiry as mentioned in your post? Under Cancel with confidence?

We are still working on it. As of now, my TA canceled the cruise using CWC, whatever is the term. He did NOT use the my PVP insurance since in his option that was the better option as it returned 100% of the money I'd paid....but only with a portion being an FCC. I knew nothing about how the CWC works since I had insurance and assumed I paid extra for it it to minimize my cash forfeiture. I'd never ever heard the CMC clause - My ignorance, my fault. That's fine for some folks, but not for us. I want either more CASH to my credit card, or an extension of the FCC expiration date. We're only talking about a couple of hundred dollars here.....still, with my Scottish heritage I want it resolved in my favor. <g> I will continue to update this thread as things change.

I encourage those facing the decision to cancel to "consider all the angles". I did not, and I may be out a couple hundred bucks I could have otherwise had refunded to my credit card.

Doug

• Thanks 1

Just in case this info helps anyone, we cancelled a Christmas cruise shortly before the cruise was scheduled.  We filed under PCP.  We did not get a refund for the ins cost.  The taxes were refunded to the credit card.  The FCC we received for the balance has an expiry date of Dec 31, 3023.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mustgo said:

Just in case this info helps anyone, we cancelled a Christmas cruise shortly before the cruise was scheduled.  We filed under PCP.  We did not get a refund for the ins cost.  The taxes were refunded to the credit card.  The FCC we received for the balance has an expiry date of Dec 31, 3023.

PVP?  Insurance cancellations should carry FCC 1 year expiry.  Wow 1,000 years is even better!  Lol

And insurance cost makes sense since you used insurance to cancel.

Was that CFAR? Or, medical reason?

1 hour ago, dog said:

When you cancel using the PVP - the insurance cost is not refunded, right? 

under CWC you were refunded for the PVP policy you paid, with a FCC, right? 

Exactly the way it works.  He would have lost the cost of insurance and still would have gotten the $200 FCC, albeit with a longer expiration date.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, mustgo said:

Let's try Dec 31, 2023.  That was a pretty bad typo

• Like 1

So now I notice the the Princess website says "FCCs issued under the Book with Confidence policy will expire 1 year after they are issued."  It does not say I have to book and sail by that date.  So can I cancel a cruise on Jan 18, 2022 and use the FCC's to pay for a cruise in Feb 2023?? 

23 minutes ago, algriff said:

So now I notice the the Princess website says "FCCs issued under the Book with Confidence policy will expire 1 year after they are issued."  It does not say I have to book and sail by that date.  So can I cancel a cruise on Jan 18, 2022 and use the FCC's to pay for a cruise in Feb 2023?? 

One year from the date FCC is issued 

1 hour ago, dog said:

One year from the date FCC is issued 

So is the FCC issued the day I ask for my cruise to be cancelled or the day that it appears on my account which could be up to 60 days after I cancel my existing cruise?  If I cancel my cruise on 1/18/2002 I assume I can use the FCC for a cruise the departs either on 1/7/2023 or 1/17/2023.  Is that correct?

9 minutes ago, algriff said:

So is the FCC issued the day I ask for my cruise to be cancelled or the day that it appears on my account which could be up to 60 days after I cancel my existing cruise?  If I cancel my cruise on 1/18/2002 I assume I can use the FCC for a cruise the departs either on 1/7/2023 or 1/17/2023.  Is that correct?

Can’t say. Look in your cruise credits in Personalizer and it will give a book by & sail by date. 

the last time mine did not match date I cancelled 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dog said:

I just looked this up. So now FCC can be extended if you cancel with confidence. Does this include FCC earned in March 2022? 

It states 

• Applies to voyages departing through September 30, 2022.
  • Applies to bookings made through March 2, 2022.

So, I would think Yes

50 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

It states 

So, I would think Yes

how did you earn a FCC in Mar 22..It is only Jan 2022 right now...maybe I am more confused than I think.

22 hours ago, dog said:

When you cancel using the PVP - the insurance cost is not refunded, right? 

under CWC you were refunded for the PVP policy you paid, with a FCC, right? 

If this was for me, I thought I had canceled (through my TA) using the PVP. I did not think I would be refunded my insurance cost, through either cash to my credit card or as a FCC <using PVP).

However, turns out my TA canceled with the CWC section, which refunded me 90% to my credit cord and the other 10% as a FCC. The FCC was for our insurance and our deposits. He was told, apparently in error, that the FCC would be good until December 2023

Sometimes insurance in not a good deal! Not too often, but sometimes. Hope everyone considering canceling very closely checks the fine print if they have more than one avenue for getting a "refund". In my case I wanted to maximize the cash back to my credit card; an FCC with an expiration in 2022 is worthless.  Others may have a different situation where an 2022 FCC work well for them, such as if they have cruises scheduled in 2022 for whose final payment has not been paid. At one time I did, but Princess canceled our October 2022 TA and we substituted a Celebrity TA....but that's another story! 😎

Doug

21 hours ago, mustgo said:

Wow, 3023! And I'm only wanting to get one with an expiration date of 2023! 😉

Seriously, I am trying to get an expiration of 2023 for the Feb 2022 that was canceled using PVP around Christmas 2021. My Princess record shows an expiration date of 2022 - a year sooner than your expiration date for a cruise that was cancelled for an earlier cruise. That seems odd to me? Have you verified at Princess.com the expiration date? My TA was initially told 2023 was the expiration date. Is your credit a Future Cruise Deposit or a Future Cruise Credit?

Doug

21 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Exactly the way it works.  He would have lost the cost of insurance and still would have gotten the $200 FCC, albeit with a longer expiration date.

I'd take it! 😎 Canceled with a via PVP, I have a $479 FCC expiring in 2022 (insurance and deposit). I'd rather have an FCC of $200 expiring in 2023. I don't believe I will be able to use an FCC in 2022, but I probably could in 2023....assuming the cruise line is still in operation.😉

Doug

18 hours ago, Tedferg said:

It states 

So, I would think Yes

I had a 28Feb2022 cruise that I canceled on 24Dec2021. I booked that cruise Dec 2020.  I had PVP for that cruise. However, my TA filed the cancellation using the CWC clause. I was refunded all but my deposit and insurance cost to my credit card. My insurance and deposit now show as a FCC expiring December 2022.

Is your interpretation that the expiration of my FCC should be 1 year AFTER my canceled Feb 2022 cruise, or Feb 2023? It would make no difference to me (got a Celebrity TA scheduled Feb 2023); I am just seeking clarification for others reading this thread............

Doug

To OP—- I think there is more to come—- with CWC—- you do not get 90% back to credit card   Might get taxes, fees, excursions to credit card. You get FCC which covers that no refundable deposit, PVP policy & cruise fare. 

if using your PVP to cancel you would get most paid as credit to your credit card.  Losing the amount of the insurance as you used it  

I noticed on princess website that they said account may show FCC while your PVP insurance is settling your claim and then the FCC will be removed when the insurance is completed your settlement. 

just my understanding, as I have PVP & hoping not to use it. 
good luck. Thanks for sharing 

Edited by dog

5 minutes ago, dog said:

To OP—- I think there is more to come—- with CWC—- you do not get 90% back to credit card   Might get taxes, fees, excursions to credit card. You get FCC which covers that no refundable deposit, PVP policy & cruise fare. 

if using your PVP to cancel you would get most paid as credit to your credit card.  Losing the amount of the insurance as you used it  

I noticed on princess website that they said account may show FCC while your PVP insurance is settling your claim and then the FCC will be removed when the insurance is completed your settlement. 

just my understanding, as I have PVP & hoping not to use it. 
good luck. Thanks for sharing 

With any cancellation using Princess' STANDARD Cancellation Penalties (LINK) any amount you will receive to your credit card depends on when you cancel. In my case at least, I <FCAR> canceled my Feb 2022 about 63 days prior to sailing. The link above describes the amount to be forfeited. I had PVP, but my TA initiated the cancellation under CWC. My credit card received a refund of everything except for the non-refundable deposit and cost of the PVP; those went to an FCC with an expiration of Dec 2022.

I also hope you do not not to use your PVP and that you don't have to cancel your cruise! 😎

Doug

11 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

With any cancellation using Princess' STANDARD Cancellation Penalties (LINK) any amount you will receive to your credit card depends on when you cancel. In my case at least, I <FCAR> canceled my Feb 2022 about 63 days prior to sailing. The link above describes the amount to be forfeited. I had PVP, but my TA initiated the cancellation under CWC. My credit card received a refund of everything except for the non-refundable deposit and cost of the PVP; those went to an FCC with an expiration of Dec 2022.

I also hope you do not not to use your PVP and that you don't have to cancel your cruise! 😎

Doug

Ok CWC - used by your TA, so I did not consider your cancellation date 

Just now, dog said:

Ok CWC - used by your TA, so I did not consider your cancellation date 

Yes, many think ALL their cruise payment is gone if they cancel after making the final payment. But even if you  cancel several weeks after making the final payment, some money will be  refunded if you are forced to cancel...depending on how early you cancel. That is Princess' standard policy at the link above. My sister and BIL once had to cancel about a month before a cruise, they were refunded about half their payments to their credit card. No FCC. They had no insurance, and at that time there was no CWC, etc.

Doug

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

However, turns out my TA canceled with the CWC section

Your TA didn't have a choice.  Cruise / Book With Confidence applies first per the verbiage on the Princess webpage.  If that program didn't exist then it would have gone through PVP.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Your TA didn't have a choice.  Cruise / Book With Confidence applies first per the verbiage on the Princess webpage.  If that program didn't exist then it would have gone through PVP.

I did not know that. Do you have a link for that verbiage? I don't believe my TA is aware of that either, it would be good to share with him for his other customers.

Doug