Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

That's great - I hope that there's not too many Covid-curtailed activities.

One of the programmes advertised:

Self Help Express Check-out In Southampton. Sign up for express disembarkation at the Purser's Office. You must be able to carry all of your own luggage.

Does anyone know more about this or recommend for/against?

14 minutes ago, P2l said:

Self Help Express Check-out In Southampton. Sign up for express disembarkation at the Purser's Office. You must be able to carry all of your own luggage.

I do this all the time- you just have to walk off whenever you like ;o)

28 minutes ago, P2l said:

Is there anything on board that you can do on disembarkation day, or is it really a case of sit in stateroom until you leave?

You can go for breakfast too - though it finishes earlier than normal.  

Self embarkation is my preference choice as means I can keep hold of all my luggage overnight, and better plan the train I am going to catch home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P2l said:

21 minutes ago, Se1lad said:

You can go for breakfast too - though it finishes earlier than normal.  

Self embarkation is my preference choice as means I can keep hold of all my luggage overnight, and better plan the train I am going to catch home.

We agree on the above....

1 hour ago, P2l said:

Is there anything on board that you can do on disembarkation day, or is it really a case of sit in stateroom until you leave?

Other than breakfast , no activities , “it’s over “ .

You will wait to disembark in a public area . Cabins must be vacated by a certain time , like 8:30am or so.

Edited by MCC retired

47 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Other than breakfast , no activities , “it’s over “ .

You will wait to disembark in a public area . Cabins must be vacated by a certain time , like 8:30am or so.

It has been operating differently with Covid protocols. You are asked to depart from your cabn at a specific time. On the 2 recent QE trips we have been on we have gone to breakfast in Britannia Resturant and returned to our cabin. The timings worked out reasonably as we paced breakfast and final touches so that there was little waiting around.

My wife and I were on the cruise and returned to EWR then to MCO on Sunday.  I have just read several pages of the postings.  As a pax, I found the cruise to be an absolute disaster.  As a TA since 1985 I was extremely disappointed in the way Cunard handled the cruise.  They failed to test at the dock paxs boarding in NYC.  They accepted tests that could have been given 2 days before.  I know that tests only indicate condition at time given and not in the future.  They had a problem on the trans part and disembarked 10 paxs in NYC.  This should have been an indication that there may be a problem and be pro active about it.  (Not sure about crew tests as we heard several different stories.)  They did not administer paxs  tests until arrival in BVI and this failure prohibited paxs from going on shore.  That evening (Sunday) we were told that we would not go to St Kitts but proceed to Barbados for arrival on Tuesday.  We did have a nice afternoon at the beach in Barbados as part of a ship's tour.  That evening the Captain, who was never seen by anyone since leaving the UK, made the announcement that  there were problems and that the cruise was being TERMINATED.  He stated that the ship would remain at anchor in Barbados awaiting additional 'critical crew' members to arrive for a transit back to the UK leaving Jan 2 or 3.  The ship would return to UK arriving on Jan 10 for their 'next cruise".   Paxs who boarded in NYC would be flown home on Jan 1 or 2 pending the arrangements for charter flights.  Paxs who wished to return to the UK would also have the option to fly back.  On Dec 30, as I recall, we received preliminary info as to transportation arrangements.  Covid tests would be administered on Dec 31 and Jan 1 for those flying.  Group 1 would leave on New Years day with flights to NYC and the UK.  Our group would leave on Jan 2 to EWR.  We met at 0400 for transfer to BGI for a 0800 flight.  I had never heard of the charter company but the A330 was clean and had a on time arrival at EWR.  For a meal, we got a 'brown bag' with crackers, chocolate bar, apple and bottle of water.  After distributing it, the crew disappeared.  They did not even conduct a pre-landing cabin check but remained seated.

The ship was beautiful with Christmas decorations in most main decks.  No decorations in dinning rooms other than small table decorations.  The second day of the cruise, the gym, spa, dancing in the ball rooms were suspended.  The entertainment was so so.  Several performers were scheduled to perform but may have become infected as they were not seen after initial performance.  We went to a 'bar' to see a performer only to be told he was 'sick'.  I noticed that the show band members changed from a start of 8 down to 6 on Jan 1.  Our cabin steward changed 3 times because of staffing issues and our waiter disappeared after day 4. For Christmas, they had some 'sing alongs' but the Captain's reading, to my knowledge, did not happen.

While in BVI we were told that the ship would be receiving supplied from Queen Victoria.  My wife and I watched from Deck 7 as 25-30 persons, with their luggage, were transferred from QM2 to QV by life boat.  This happened in 3 different trips.  Not sure how many actually happened.  One can only assume who/why this happened but we were told by the Chief Engineer that QV was being used as a hospital ship.  Our cabin was on Deck 5 between Stairs C and D.  We were told that we could not use Stair/Lift at D as this area was being secured.   Later in the trip at meal time we would see several crew members, dressed in ‘garments taking meal trays  to this area.

My disappointment is multifold.  A great deal of information on line and Twitter says things were great - not so.  Information from the ship was very limited.  Several ‘important’ announcements came at 1730 or so and only broadcast to public areas.  If you were in the shower for dinner at 1800 you would not hear the announcement.  This is not right.

We planned this cruise 17 months ago, hoping that the Covid situation would be resolved.  We spent 28 days in Europe in Nov on a 12 day Med cruise on Oceania from VCE to BNC, 1 week in Spain and Germany and a 7 night Rhine River cruise on Ama Waterways without any problems.  This is not to say that there were no restrictions because there were, especially in Italy.  Wish that Cunard had been more forthright with information and had better plans after the arrival in NYC on Dec 20.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

jgd3rdbcfd Don't forget the man overboard announcement, it was just a drill but most didn't know this. My friend and his family were on this cruise and he said about the same as you. Also he said anyone who tested positive pre flight were going back to Southampton quarantined on ship, that would be lousy for those who were to disembark in NY

Edited by njkate

24 minutes ago, njkate said:

jgd3rdbcfd Don't forget the man overboard announcement, it was just a drill but most didn't know this. My friend and his family were on this cruise and he said about the same as you. Also he said anyone who tested positive pre flight were going back to Southampton quarantined on ship, that would be lousy for those who were to disembark in NY

For exercise, 

For exercise

For exercise

!!

Obviously, I wasn't on QM2 at the time but after hundreds of days with Cunard, I have yet to hear of 'man overboard' without this phrase.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, no one should venture on a cruise ship at the moment. and possibly this year, without being prepared for the unexpected.

The unexpected might/ will probably be very unpalatable, but that's the risk.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

They had a problem on the trans part and disembarked 10 paxs in NYC.  This should have been an indication that there may be a problem and be pro active about it.

The 10 passengers who tested positive before arriving in New York were tested just before check-in in Southampton, so that doesn't support your position that it would have made a difference in New York (even if they could have implemented that protocol in the time available).

5 hours ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

My wife and I were on the cruise and returned to EWR then to MCO on Sunday.  I have just read several pages of the postings.  As a pax, I found the cruise to be an absolute disaster.  

jgd3rdbcfd,

I'm curious, has Cunard mentioned anything about reimbursing you for some or all of the cost of the cruise? 

Thanks

Jack

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

The complaints about not seeing the Captain are interesting. It would seem sensible that the Captain and Senior Operations staff do not mix with passengers during a pandemic of an infectious disease.

I would agree with your comment. We were on QE in September and December and it was noticeable how rare it was to see Senior officers and I don't think we saw the Captain.  There were certainly none of the usual officers tables in the Dining room. I have seen similar circumstances operate when I have been on board ships with Noro outbreaks. I would have thought that senior operational officers are operating in as tight a bubble as possible to ensure safe operation of the vessel.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

jgd3rdbcfd,

I'm curious, has Cunard mentioned anything about reimbursing you for some or all of the cost of the cruise? 

Thanks

Jack

FYI, here is a section from the Passage Contract that seems to answer your question.
https://www.cunard.com/en-us/advice-and-policies/passage-contract

6. PUBLIC HEALTH AND COVID-19 PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES; UNDERSTANDING AND ACCEPTANCE OF RISKS...

f) You further understand and agree that if, after boarding, and even if You have fully complied with all Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols, You test positive for COVID-19 or exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, the Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine You as well as Your traveling companions, or take other steps which the Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. Each such Guest is responsible for all related costs and fines including, without limitation, consequential travel expense and lodging. Under no circumstances shall the Carrier be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Guest.”

2 minutes ago, newcruise said:

FYI, here is a section from the Passage Contract that seems to answer your question.
https://www.cunard.com/en-us/advice-and-policies/passage-contract

6. PUBLIC HEALTH AND COVID-19 PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES; UNDERSTANDING AND ACCEPTANCE OF RISKS...

f) You further understand and agree that if, after boarding, and even if You have fully complied with all Carrier’s COVID-19 Guest Protocols, You test positive for COVID-19 or exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, the Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine You as well as Your traveling companions, or take other steps which the Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. Each such Guest is responsible for all related costs and fines including, without limitation, consequential travel expense and lodging. Under no circumstances shall the Carrier be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Guest.”

Basically catch covid and you are on your own!

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

The complaints about not seeing the Captain are interesting. It would seem sensible that the Captain and Senior Operations staff do not mix with passengers during a pandemic of an infectious disease.

Agree COMPLETELY.  However, The Entertainment Director appears daily on the morning TV show.  The Captain could do so also.  That would reassure the paxs.

4 hours ago, Underwatr said:

The 10 passengers who tested positive before arriving in New York were tested just before check-in in Southampton, so that doesn't support your position that it would have made a difference in New York (even if they could have implemented that protocol in the time available).

That is correct.  They were all tested at the dock in Southampton BEFORE being allowed to board.  Once again that means they were OK on Dec 13.  What happened during the cruise is the basis of my statement regarding possivle future actions.

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

jgd3rdbcfd,

Thanks

Jack

Complete refund.  Nice but I would have really enjoyed what I had come to expecct for my 4th cruise w/ Cunard.

45 minutes ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

That is correct.  They were all tested at the dock in Southampton BEFORE being allowed to board.  Once again that means they were OK on Dec 13.  What happened during the cruise is the basis of my statement regarding possivle future actions.

Not entirely correct. They may have had it upon embarkation but their viral loads were to minimal to trigger the test.

46 minutes ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

Complete refund.  Nice but I would have really enjoyed what I had come to expecct for my 4th cruise w/ Cunard.

I'm sorry for your experience. However, you cruised DURING A PANDEMIC. You should have understood the risks associated with such. I really do feel for people who are impacted by illness aboard, but your posts give the impression you expected it to be exactly like your previous ones. That was an utterly unreasonable expectation. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ChutChut said:

I'm sorry for your experience. However, you cruised DURING A PANDEMIC. You should have understood the risks associated with such. I really do feel for people who are impacted by illness aboard, but your posts give the impression you expected it to be exactly like your previous ones. That was an utterly unreasonable expectation. 

So just out of interest why do you think Cunard gave a full refund?