Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

1 hour ago, CarolRoy said:

Flights to NY.  Does that include flights to Newark EWR?  Our friends onboard live in NJ and NY would not be an option for them.

My friend on board said that she was being flown back to Newark - with the plane landing around noonish.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Thanks, I guess that's one less move for people. 🤞they don't have to do that.

How are they holding up ? I know you were worried about them.

They seem to be holding up well. They are concerned with the amount of luggage that they will have to leave behind. Cunard said they will eventually ship it to them in the states. Another concern is with the Covid antigen test. Hopefully, they will test negative.

I have to give them credit, I would probably be a basket case by now if I were on board. After 160+ cruises, it will be quite a while before we feel comfortable with cruising again.

7 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

Flights to NY.  Does that include flights to Newark EWR?  Our friends onboard live in NJ and NY would not be an option for them.

You have got to be kidding!    

How brutal -- to ask someone who lives in New Jersey to fly into JFK!

"Having an option" does not mean getting the most ideal and convenient thing.  Do you friends tolerate the notion of rain on a day when they have planned a picnic?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

I have to give them credit, I would probably be a basket case by now if I were on board. After 160+ cruises, it will be quite a while before we feel comfortable with cruising again.

Why would this make you a basket case? I've watched this play out as I was curious to compare it to what happened in March 2020. Basically the passengers on board have  missed some ports, but have got more days in Barbados, the weather  looks good, and from what I've seen on here everything else is continuing on as normal for all those who are not testing positive. They now get to cruise back to the UK, with a transfer to the US if required. And they get a cruise credit or refund. I'm struggling to see how this is a very terrible situation? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

How brutal -- to ask someone who lives in New Jersey to fly into JFK!

Newark is only 45 minutes from us.  We have done JFK and it can be over 4 hours.  Yes, over 4 hours.  Our daughter was re-routed from EWR to JFK.  We picked her up at JFK after the 4+ hours trip.  Then came back to NJ that took another 4+ hours. Traffic is a nightmare.  So, yes, EWR is convenient for us.

57 minutes ago, lissie said:

Why would this make you a basket case? I've watched this play out as I was curious to compare it to what happened in March 2020. Basically the passengers on board have  missed some ports, but have got more days in Barbados, the weather  looks good, and from what I've seen on here everything else is continuing on as normal for all those who are not testing positive. They now get to cruise back to the UK, with a transfer to the US if required. And they get a cruise credit or refund. I'm struggling to see how this is a very terrible situation? 

What about those that are testing positive? They have been removed from their cabins and placed into cabins without balconies, possibly inside cabins, which can be claustrophobic for many. They are not allowed to leave these cabins for dining, shows, sun lounges on the pool deck, etc. Those who are still fortunately negative, are probably worried that they also can become positive, the longer they stay on board. As far as I can tell, no one has been allowed off the ship to roam around Barbados. This is not a good situation for anyone. 

1 hour ago, LewiLewi said:

Those who are still fortunately negative, are probably worried that they also can become positive, the longer they stay on board.  

LL,

I too was thinking about that. That will be a long trip to the UK.........

4 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

What about those that are testing positive? They have been removed from their cabins and placed into cabins without balconies, possibly inside cabins, which can be claustrophobic for many. They are not allowed to leave these cabins for dining, shows, sun lounges on the pool deck, etc. Those who are still fortunately negative, are probably worried that they also can become positive, the longer they stay on board. As far as I can tell, no one has been allowed off the ship to roam around Barbados. This is not a good situation for anyone. 

On the contrary, on a Cunard fb group I run there are regular reports from those onboard as to the situation .

This appeared 2 days ago: The catamaran excursions were obviously running and they depart from the Bridgetown quayside...

1468186064_QM2FanzineBarbados1.thumb.jpg.b2f86ee08881bd36ba282280395a882a.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

One pax put ashore in New York said he was put into a balcony cabin, on my last 2 QE cruises isolation areas appeared  2 b on balcony decks aft since aft lifts were not available on decks 4 5 6 & 7ĺ

7 hours ago, lissie said:

....Basically the passengers on board have  missed some ports, but have got more days in Barbados, the weather  looks good, and from what I've seen on here everything else is continuing on as normal for all those who are not testing positive. They now get to cruise back to the UK, with a transfer to the US if required. And they get a cruise credit or refund. I'm struggling to see how this is a very terrible situation? 

I agree it's not a 'very terrible' situation, but it's not what they envisaged....they will also be on the warm South Atlantic route home, rather than the cold North via NYC, with good weather enabling outdoors activity or sundeck!

I’m currently on the QM2 and after reading some of the recent comments I feel I’m in an episode of The Twilight Zone. It’s like I’m in the same place but in a different dimension.

There is no panic on board, just many understandably disappointed passengers who have had their travel plans disrupted. Captain Hall was very clear when he outlined the reasons for not stopping in NY. Anyone who chose to get off and fly to the UK have been given that option. As the flights to the UK leave, late, accommodation on board P&O Britannia has been arranged. I would call that excellent customer service but others may not. 

The announcements have been completely adequate and those individuals affected have been notified by letter directly. From a couple we met onboard, they were given adequate notice that they were flying out today and Cunard have confirmed they will be laying on transport back to Red Hook if required once they arrive in NY. 

At this time we have been given no information about our arrival into Southampton but this is a fluid situation. It would be pure speculation as to what awaits us.  All I need to do is follow the safety protocols to keep myself and my fellow passengers safe. I truly don’t feel anymore exposed to anything on board than if I was in a supermarket. 

Thank you to other posters who have wished everyone onboard a safe journey. For those who have highlighted it was an individuals choice to sail I wholeheartedly agree. Buried in the T&C’s for this cruise it highlighted the risks.

Are Cunard doing everything they can? IMHO yes. Do I need to know everything that’s going on in the background? Absolutely not. Do I really need to know exact numbers of positive tests and individuals quarantine arrangements? No, that’s personal health information and none of my business. If I’m affected I’m sure I’ll be told. 

For those leaving today and tomorrow, I wish you all a safe journey. For those of us returning to Southampton, Keep Calm and Carry On. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, Daisymabel said:

I’m currently on the QM2 and after reading some of the recent comments I feel I’m in an episode of The Twilight Zone. It’s like I’m in the same place but in a different dimension.

There is no panic on board, just many understandably disappointed passengers who have had their travel plans disrupted. Captain Hall was very clear when he outlined the reasons for not stopping in NY. Anyone who chose to get off and fly to the UK have been given that option. As the flights to the UK leave, late, accommodation on board P&O Britannia has been arranged. I would call that excellent customer service but others may not. 

The announcements have been completely adequate and those individuals affected have been notified by letter directly. From a couple we met onboard, they were given adequate notice that they were flying out today and Cunard have confirmed they will be laying on transport back to Red Hook if required once they arrive in NY. 

At this time we have been given no information about our arrival into Southampton but this is a fluid situation. It would be pure speculation as to what awaits us.  All I need to do is follow the safety protocols to keep myself and my fellow passengers safe. I truly don’t feel anymore exposed to anything on board than if I was in a supermarket. 

Thank you to other posters who have wished everyone onboard a safe journey. For those who have highlighted it was an individuals choice to sail I wholeheartedly agree. Buried in the T&C’s for this cruise it highlighted the risks.

Are Cunard doing everything they can? IMHO yes. Do I need to know everything that’s going on in the background? Absolutely not. Do I really need to know exact numbers of positive tests and individuals quarantine arrangements? No, that’s personal health information and none of my business. If I’m affected I’m sure I’ll be told. 

For those leaving today and tomorrow, I wish you all a safe journey. For those of us returning to Southampton, Keep Calm and Carry On. 

Great post from someone who is actually  onboard. The correct way to deal with the situation - keep smiling and carry on. Oh, and by the way its wet, grey, miserable here in the UK and plenty of covid!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, EvaBME said:

I have a question.  If a person needs to test negative in order to fly.  What happens if someone from North America tests positive, which I guess means they can't fly?  What happens to them?  

Yes, you would be required to quarantine until you are able to fly. On a recent trip to the Dominican Republic (a consolation for having canceled this QM2 trip before final payment) we purchased the tour operator's optional trip insurance which included paying for the quarantine stay should one or both of us test positive before our flight back to the US. 

12 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

Newark is only 45 minutes from us.  We have done JFK and it can be over 4 hours.  Yes, over 4 hours.  Our daughter was re-routed from EWR to JFK.  We picked her up at JFK after the 4+ hours trip.  Then came back to NJ that took another 4+ hours. Traffic is a nightmare.  So, yes, EWR is convenient for us.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that.  I'm just pointing out that one could say the same thing for travel to/from the cruise port in Brooklyn vs Bayonne.  If traffic is ones main concern, perhaps best to give up on Cunard and stick to Royal/Celebrity since you can sail from Bayonne!  The port is right next to EWR!

If Celebrity Summit got stuck in Bermuda and flew everyone back, I could almost see why one would complain about getting sent back to JFK vs EWR.  But not if you were supposed to dock in Brooklyn anyway.

Sounds like EWR ended up being an option for passengers anyway, which just shows how well Cunard is handling this unfortunate situation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

Yes, you would be required to quarantine until you are able to fly. On a recent trip to the Dominican Republic (a consolation for having canceled this QM2 trip before final payment) we purchased the tour operator's optional trip insurance which included paying for the quarantine stay should one or both of us test positive before our flight back to the US. 

One of the people I know on board was due to fly to the US tomorrow. She has just tested positive for COVID, and will be staying on board in an isolation balcony cabin. She will disembark in Southampton and fly home to the US from there.

Daisymabel’s contribution was spot on.- All is calm on a bright, warm, windy day.  Really feel for those who had to disembark this morning at 5:30☹️

We're cruising around and disembark NY bound folks this afternoon. I think they fly at about 7PM.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, safarigal said:

One of the people I know on board was due to fly to the US tomorrow. She has just tested positive for COVID, and will be staying on board in an isolation balcony cabin. She will disembark in Southampton and fly home to the US from there.

How many days is the journey back to Southampton?

8 minutes ago, safarigal said:

They are due to arrive back in Southampton on January 10th.

That's a long time to leave a positive Covid passenger on a ship

I'm surprised they've chosen to allow that tbh

I hope she stays well ish

Not the easiest journey to evacuate from 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, safarigal said:

I’m sorry to hear about your friend and wish them well. If you think there is anything they may need from the shops (I don’t know why but chocolate comes to mind) I would be happy to make any purchase’s and leave it at the pursers desk to be delivered following the onboard protocols. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Daisymabel said:

Anyone who chose to get off and fly to the UK have been given that option. As the flights to the UK leave, late, accommodation on board P&O Britannia has been arranged. 

Has Cunard assisted with booking day 2 PCR tests for passengers choosing to fly? Having arrived Gatwick from Britannia this.morning Expresstest were turning people without bookings away. Do we have any idea how many took the flight option and are they sharing Britannia charter flights or on their own one?

6 minutes ago, Daisymabel said:

I’m sorry to hear about your friend and wish them well. If you think there is anything they may need from the shops (I don’t know why but chocolate comes to mind) I would be happy to make any purchase’s and leave it at the pursers desk to be delivered following the onboard protocols. 

That is so sweet of you :). So far she seems to be very well looked after - but a Godiva or 2 may be needed in the future!

• Like 1