Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Has Cunard assisted with booking day 2 PCR tests for passengers choosing to fly? Having arrived Gatwick from Britannia this.morning Expresstest were turning people without bookings away. Do we have any idea how many took the flight option and are they sharing Britannia charter flights or on their own one?

Hello Megabear2,

I personally don’t have any knowledge of what was provided to those flying back to the UK or the numbers. Once they’re over their jet lag hopefully one of them can update us. 

Captain Hall advised everyone this evening that crew members from Britannia are transferring to the QM2 and some crew members are leaving QM2. 

QM2 is scheduled to leave tomorrow. QV will be in port with us overnight. Who knows, maybe we will sail back together. Looks like we could have us a convoy! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Daisymabel said:

Hello Megabear2,

I personally don’t have any knowledge of what was provided to those flying back to the UK or the numbers. Once they’re over their jet lag hopefully one of them can update us. 

Captain Hall advised everyone this evening that crew members from Britannia are transferring to the QM2 and some crew members are leaving QM2. 

QM2 is scheduled to leave tomorrow. QV will be in port with us overnight. Who knows, maybe we will sail back together. Looks like we could have us a convoy! 😂

We did notice an influx of new crew on Britannia on 30/31 December and assumed they were for her new arrivals of 2,000 guests but clearly some must have been for QM2.  We were told that no crew to date on Britannia has tested positive since her departure from the UK to Barbados and also that boosters had started. It would probably make sense to move some of these "clean crew members" across.  Assumedly any new arrivals had completed their isolation before arriving in Barnados and swapped on to QV to ensure they remain without Covid.

I assume Britannia will sail this evening as scheduled now that the crew movements are complete.

On 12/31/2021 at 5:15 PM, LewiLewi said:

They seem to be holding up well. They are concerned with the amount of luggage that they will have to leave behind. Cunard said they will eventually ship it to them in the states. Another concern is with the Covid antigen test. Hopefully, they will test negative.

I have to give them credit, I would probably be a basket case by now if I were on board. After 160+ cruises, it will be quite a while before we feel comfortable with cruising again.

Please tell your friends not to worry needlessly about the luggage.  We left three large suitcases on board the QM2 when we were kicked off after the truncated 2020 world cruise.  Once the ship got to Southampton (something like 25 days later) we had our luggage back to us within a few weeks.  

Best wishes to those on QM2, yes i have been on her. Just roll with the punches guys and gals, there was always going to be a risk re cruising in this pandemic climate with covid cases out of control in uk and usa, has to flow on to the ships. 

As has been said Keep calm and carry on cruising.😷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Always a pleasure to reproduce a refreshing view from one of the Cunard fb groups I administer and a good balance against the debilitating speculation that does so often 'grab the headlines'...

423606823_QM2FanzineBarbados2copy.thumb.jpg.c64332504d8fa9cbacc420b3b2c2151f.jpg

Well done Cunard.

Edited by Solent Richard
  • Like 3

Our close friends of 40+ years were on board this QM2 cruise from New York - preparing to fly back to the US today (Sunday) until he received results that he had tested positive yesterday. He is asymptomatic and feels fine. She has tested negative so far.

Of course, they were immediately quarantined. Overnight Saturday they were moved to a balcony room on Cunard Victoria where they will remain in quarantine. He reports that they feel well cared for.

By the way, his companion lost her dear mother to a heart attack which happened at sea mid-Pacific while mother & daughter were on their annual Cunard World cruise a few years ago. I am so very sorry for her that another Cunard voyage has ended sadly. The four of us are booked to sail to Hawaii mid-January on Holland America Line but of course there is no way know yet if that will go forward as planned.

A morning update from my friend who is presumably no longer on board:

Good morning, I finally got my flight and test results info at 11.45pm. Am now up at 3.45am standing in a line that wraps all around deck 2 waiting to get into the royal court theater to wait to get on to a bus to wait at the airport for an 8am flight. Me grumpy…

Thanks for all of the intelligence and outside support! This has been something 🤣

And I’m still clear….

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, P2l said:

How does that compare to normal transatlantic crossings?

About 500nm further in the same time. Shouldn't be a problem  for Queen Mary as an average speed of 21 knots is no problem  for her. Like doing a 6 day New York crossing.

Edited by Matelot70
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

About 500nm further in the same time. Shouldn't be a problem  for Queen Mary as an average speed of 21 knots is no problem  for her. Like doing a 6 day New York crossing.

She can do 29 knots and do a T/A in 4 days.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

Just now, Matelot70 said:

I don't recall the last time she did that.

Jan 3-10 2018. I know I was there. We left new york late then cruised very slowly for like 2 days around the very edge of that storm in very thick fog and then the ship ramped up to 29 knots and we made it back to Southampton on time.

1 minute ago, ace2542 said:

Jan 3-10 2018. I know I was there. We left new york late then cruised very slowly for like 2 days around the very edge of that storm in very thick fog and then the ship ramped up to 29 knots and we made it back to Southampton on time.

And, theoretically at least, now travelling the warm South Atlantic route the seas are much calmer so less water resistance!

4 hours ago, johnnylikely said:

Does anyone have any sample daily programmes from onboard? I'm wondering if there'll be much to do on the 10th jan cruise if things are shut down due to covid etc... x

I have some from some crossings a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for.
Eastbound

Westbound

23 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I have some from some crossings a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for.
Eastbound

Westbound

Thanks- I could only see the Galley tour and net packages. I was hoping for a programme from the recent cruise as I wanted to see the impact of covid on the daily activities.

57 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

That's annoying. They're inside a folder contained within those two locations and I've always assumed they'd be visible.

Even though I know they're not what you want, here are the the Programmes from the 2019 TA's. 

Eastbound

Westbound

Ah thanks so much! That's great- it's getting me in the mood for my cruise lol