COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

Can anybody at present on Iona confirm if everyone on the ship was tested for covid and why this was done. 
Now found on other site that it was a company specific requirement that all passengers attend for an antigen test whilst on their way to Madeira.

This is a most worrying occurrence that they will at anytime make you take a test even if you are not going ashore and you have no symptoms. Makes travelling in new year less likely. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

More testing is good and makes us all safer.  I don’t understand the attitude of wanting to walk around infecting others in ignorance.  I’d rather get sent home early from my holiday than cause long term health problems or death to others.

• Like 4

P&O & Cunard have brought in a new requirement in response to increasing Covid numbers in the UK. Mandatory full passenger lateral flow testing the day before after 3 days. It took place yesterday. Here is the letter distributed on Monday.

Dear Guest,

It is a recent company specific requirement that all guests onboard, aged 12 and above take an antigen test at this time in the cruise. A certificate is not required and this test will be complimentary for all our guests.

We have take the time to carefully plan this so that there is limited disruption to your holiday and no unnecessary waiting around for you during this operation. Kindly attend at the scheduled time, complete the tests and then carry on enjoying your day. The testing for all guests onboard the ship will take place in one day, tomorrow, at sea, before we reach our 1st port.

Our guests 12-17yr old will have received a letter today, prior to this, inviting them to take a test in a different location and at a different time tomorrow. That letter is now superseded by the current one. As well, the cost of the test will not be charged to these guests either and only for this age group, a certificate will be printed and sent to your cabin, before arrival into Madeira, for the purposes of going ashore in the port of Madeira, where this is a requirement for this age group only.

Every guest must carry their own cruise card with them.

Please see details of your appointment time for the test below and please adhere to this timing to minimise queues.

<Timings>

Thanks, P&O Cruises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Bon0 said:

More testing is good and makes us all safer.  I don’t understand the attitude of wanting to walk around infecting others in ignorance.  I’d rather get sent home early from my holiday than cause long term health problems or death to others.

Sent home early?

Do you mean sent to a quarantine hotel abroad until you test negative and can find  flights and transfers home?

• Like 1

I can understand the rationale behind this change in policy but struggle to comprehend why positive cases have to quarantine shoreside.

For non flyers like me it means that we can't risk going on a cruise at this time.

Of course I don't want to potentially infect anyone else onboard if I tested positive and, as I've posted before, would happily quarantine onboard if necessary.

Balance due on next cruise early Feb so will just have to sit it out and see what occurs. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

I can understand the rationale behind this change in policy but struggle to comprehend why positive cases have to quarantine shoreside.

This has been covered in detail over the last few weeks. The decision is made by the port authorities,  not P&O, so if you are unable to fly, you should review your options.

Obviously if you are quarantined in mainland Europe, you would be able to return to the UK relatively easily, without the need to fly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Can anybody at present on Iona confirm if everyone on the ship was tested for covid and why this was done. 
Now found on other site that it was a company specific requirement that all passengers attend for an antigen test whilst on their way to Madeira.

This is a most worrying occurrence that they will at anytime make you take a test even if you are not going ashore and you have no symptoms. Makes travelling in new year less likely. 

Hello,two days prior to arriving in Lisbon (8th nov.) the Portugese authorities asked that all those wishing to come ashore to have a test.The wife and i,plus many others decided to stay onboard as failing the test would have meant quaranteen for the remainder of the Iona cruise.The tests at the time were £18 each and as we can now see the rules and guidelines are shifting all the time.

Edited by WECRUISEUK

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

This has been covered in detail over the last few weeks. The decision is made by the port authorities,  not P&O, so if you are unable to fly, you should review your options.

Obviously if you are quarantined in mainland Europe, you would be able to return to the UK relatively easily, without the need to fly.

My personal opinion is the ships will routinely request to offload every time and then it's in the hands of the port authorities to decide whether they are willing/able to take them or not

Clearly with a seriously ill case then they have to be offloaded regardless but to go to a hospital rather than quarantine hotel

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

No just checked my photos and the date we were there was Wednesday the 8th November and as I say we were not asked to take any test or we would not have gone off .You haven't got your month wrong by any chance meaning December time flies 

5 minutes ago, Bin man said:

No just checked my photos and the date we were there was Wednesday the 8th November and as I say we were not asked to take any test or we would not have gone off .You haven't got your month wrong by any chance meaning December time flies 

Your right,i apologise,it was dec. and not nov.,my mistake.Quite often i lose track of time,what day is it?

• Like 1

Thats ok.Your not the only one .We were lucky with all the testing etc only had to do lft before boarding and 2 day at home lft on return so we got off lightly .We stayed on in Barcelona so we didn't use the port bus and didn't fancy the walk but had a balcony cabin sun all day .

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Return home from Spain, without flying ?  France has it's borders closed, so a train journey would be easy ?  I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

That's if you get off loaded in Cadiz. Anywhere else on an island wouldn't be so easy.  Anyway that would be after any hospitalism and any hotel quarantine.No thank you.

If we get unloaded in an island, say Majorca, ferry to Barcelona, train to Santander, ferry to Portsmouth. That is something that appeals very much. Yes please.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

If we get unloaded in an island, say Majorca, ferry to Barcelona, train to Santander, ferry to Portsmouth. That is something that appeals very much. Yes please.

Followed by a train or taxi to Southampton and car home to South Yorkshire, all in the winter, sounds wonderful   !!!😄

45 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Return home from Spain, without flying ?  France has it's borders closed, so a train journey would be easy ?  I don't think so.

My understanding was that the borders between Spain and France are not shut.