COVID Positive within 14 days - Testing negative during pre cruise test

paniflo

Question for you all.

If you test postive within 14 days of your cruise, but get better and test negative during the 48 hour pre-cruise test, are you fine to cruise? The health questionnaire asks about symptoms within 14 days. If you answer yes, what happens? Denied boarding or subjected to additional screening at the terminal?

With COVID spreading rapidly now, this can definitely be the case for a lot of people. Wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation?

10 minutes ago, paniflo said:

Question for you all.

If you test postive within 14 days of your cruise, but get better and test negative during the 48 hour pre-cruise test, are you fine to cruise? The health questionnaire asks about symptoms within 14 days. If you answer yes, what happens? Denied boarding or subjected to additional screening at the terminal?

With COVID spreading rapidly now, this can definitely be the case for a lot of people. Wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation?

I suppose if you tested positive and that record was kept by a medical provider, you could open yourself up to some legal issues/liability if you lied on the questionnaire.  I wouldn’t want to risk that. The potential liability could be a lot if you are taking about potentially infecting a lot of people.  Imagine if you were still positive (you had a false negative test ) and infected a high risk person for example, and it was later determined you lied in your form.  

We had to cancel our cruise last minute...not because any of us had covid, but because our son was 'in close" contact with someone who was positive within 14 days of sailing.  I put "close" in quotes as he wasn't actually near the kid but deemed close due to being in the same classroom.  And he is negative.  So in your case, doubt they will let you sail.

From what I am reading you can test positive up to 3 months after coming down with Covid. This is concerning because we just tested positive for Covid Dec. 1st and have a cruise mid Feb.  Very concerning about that test even though it will be 2 1./2 months after initially contacting covid.

2 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

@BuckeyeManits possible, but not common. Esp for the antigen test. 

Wife had a bad case and was in hospital for 5 days. Not sure if this affects how long she will test positive but concerned to say the least.  That is if the cruise happens.  It is a charter and they are saying it is going to go.  Time will tell.

8 minutes ago, BuckeyeMan said:

Wife had a bad case and was in hospital for 5 days. Not sure if this affects how long she will test positive but concerned to say the least.  That is if the cruise happens.  It is a charter and they are saying it is going to go.  Time will tell.

You can always grab a home test from a grocery or pharmacy and check occasionally. About $20 for a bid with 2 in our area. 

1 hour ago, AustinCruise said:

@BuckeyeManits possible, but not common. Esp for the antigen test. 

Exactly. From people I know it is the exception, not the rule.  Most test negative when they get better.  I’ve known several that had to test negative to go back to work.  All tested negative pretty quickly after they were well.  But Covid and the things that go with it vary a lot.  So anything is possible.  

3 hours ago, paniflo said:

Question for you all.

Wondering the same thing.. we have someone in our party who tested positive 2 days ago and is asymptomatic (found through company screening) and we cruise on 12/30. If he tests negative in a few days we are wondering if they will allow him to cruise. 

I just asked a similar question..though I was wondering if we had a positive test 14-90 days prior (as this is acceptable to enter US) if we could avoid testing before boarding a cruise..this is what I found on CDC site..anyone have experience doing so?

Information for people who recently recovered from COVID-19

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently recovered from COVID-19, even if you are not fully vaccinated.
  • If you develop new symptoms of COVID-19, self-isolate and consult with a healthcare provider for testing recommendations.

There are two different tests. You will test positive on a PCR for awhile after having Covid because the remnant RNA is still in your system and that test is sensitive - it can pick up minute amounts that are not enough to make you contagious. 

However the rapid antigen test is testing the vital load currently in your nose and testing positive on that one means you are most likely contagious. That one will test negative pretty quickly after you have recovered. 

My husband was symptomatic and tested positive a few days ago. While he probably would test negative  on a rapid test right before boarding, we determined the risk was too high that we would be denied boarding if we told the truth on the form, pose ourselves to huge liability if we lied in the form, and ran the risk of someone else in the family getting it since we wouldn’t be outside the 14-day window for everyone even with negative tests and no way we wanted to be sick or quarantined on a ship!  RCCL was great. We got a full refund (it had been a FCC from a lift and shift then 2 further cancelled cruises with the initial deposit put down in mid 2019 so we finally got cash money back. 

7 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

I just asked a similar question..though I was wondering if we had a positive test 14-90 days prior (as this is acceptable to enter US) if we could avoid testing before boarding a cruise..this is what I found on CDC site..anyone have experience doing so?

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 3 months and met criteria to end isolation, you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. CDC has found that people can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after they had COVID-19 and not be infectious to others.
  • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
  • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently recovered from COVID-19, even if you are not fully vaccinated.
  • If you develop new symptoms of COVID-19, self-isolate and consult with a healthcare provider for testing recommendations.

Even though it is on the cdc website, Royal has its own policies which maybe stricter than the cdc's  I

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BuckeyeMan said:

My father was.MINUTES from being put in a ventilator. He was out of the hospital a few days later. He tested negative the day he left the hospital. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT with this virus. You just never know.

10 hours ago, BuckeyeMan said:

From what I am reading you can test positive up to 3 months after coming down with Covid. This is concerning because we just tested positive for Covid Dec. 1st and have a cruise mid Feb.  Very concerning about that test even though it will be 2 1./2 months after initially contacting covid.

My husband spent 3 or 4 days in hospital with covid.  We had to test 14 days after he returned home to get out of quarantine and be able to return to work, etc.  

We got pcr test and we were both negative.

In January book a test, rapid or pcr, and see what results you get then.

12 hours ago, paniflo said:

Question for you all.

If you test postive within 14 days of your cruise, but get better and test negative during the 48 hour pre-cruise test, are you fine to cruise? The health questionnaire asks about symptoms within 14 days. If you answer yes, what happens? Denied boarding or subjected to additional screening at the terminal

If you have had a close contact, yes you will be denied boarding.  

Be honest!  Too many people lying and having problems after they lied!

If you know you had close contact call and cancel before arriving at cruise terminal.  They have been issuing full refunds.

8 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

• Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel.

Not acceptable by royal for a cruise.  Must test prior to boarding.

12 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We had to cancel our cruise last minute...not because any of us had covid, but because our son was 'in close" contact with someone who was positive within 14 days of sailing.  I put "close" in quotes as he wasn't actually near the kid but deemed close due to being in the same classroom.  And he is negative.  So in your case, doubt they will let you sail.

Most people are in close proximity of people......only a small percentage of people actually get tested.