P&O Pacific Adventure & Pacific Encounter - what can I expect ?

CCC's

I have never sailed with P & O Australia, having mostly sailed on Celebrity Solstice and Ovation of the Seas.  However, I am thinking I might enjoy a 4-5 night short cruise on P & O Pacific Adventure or Pacific Encounter.   Does anyone here have any information regarding these ships and what can I expect when comparing to the two other cruise ships I have sailed with.   Would appreciate any information before jumping in the deep end (pardon the pun).  

22 minutes ago, CCC's said:

I have never sailed with P & O Australia, having mostly sailed on Celebrity Solstice and Ovation of the Seas.  However, I am thinking I might enjoy a 4-5 night short cruise on P & O Pacific Adventure or Pacific Encounter.   Does anyone here have any information regarding these ships and what can I expect when comparing to the two other cruise ships I have sailed with.   Would appreciate any information before jumping in the deep end (pardon the pun).  

I think that both the Pacific Adventure and the Pacific Encounter are new (refurbished) ships joining P&O Aust. There were previously operated by sister company, Princess Cruises. Therefore I can't tell you any specifics about these ships, other than information available on the internet.We could mention general details about P&O cruises and ships, compared with other lines, but I am sure there will be changes post-COVID.

• Like 2

Hi

we did a P and O cruise about 10 years ago.  I think it was a last minute decision.

not the same as Celebrity but we enjoyed it just the same.  The entertainment was pretty good.   The food was ok.

the thing we remember was because it was up the side of Aus there was a lot of teenagers on it (no passports required) but as we do not go to the nightclubs it was not a problem for us.

we actually had one booked for April 22 but ofcourse it was cancelled.   We are desperate people looking for a cruise.

as always it is what you make of it.    Not having to cook everyday and clean  the house  makes me love cruising.

eileen

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CCC's said:

Hi. If you are wanting a comparison between Celebrity and P & O we'll, there is quite a bit of difference in class. Although the Encounter for eg is an ex Princess ship, the Star Princess it's hard to compare with Celebrity Solstice, IMO.

We found the Celebrity Solstice a much nicer ships all round and the food much superior.

Although P & O are not bad they can't hang with Celebrity.

Having said that we are booked on the Pacific Encounter for a Fiji cruise from Brissie in May, 2022 however we think it will be cancelled.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CCC's said:

Does anyone here have any information regarding these ships and what can I expect

Pacific Encounter will be sailing out of Brisbane and was formerly the Star Princess. Pacific Adventure will be sailing out of Sydney and was formerly the Golden Princess. Both are nearly identical Grand class ships now about 20 years old. They have not yet sailed as P&O Australia ships.

P&O Australia is regarded a budget cruise line. As far as entertainment, service and amenities go, you would not notice much difference with other cruise lines. The main difference is in the passengers, who are usually more diverse than you find on other lines. Often a younger more boisterous crowd with more kids. Also in the food, which while adequate, is not up to the standard of Celebrity or Royal (or Princess).

I would have no hesitation going on a P&O cruise, I have one booked for August.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and information.  I might give P&O a go (sample cruise) because I am becoming a little desperate for a short get-away, and would really like an Australian winter cruise, say about Aug/Sept and P&O will be able to fill that gap.   Thank you SinbadThePorter for your description of "diverse" passengers on P&O ships.  But I definitely do not plan to cruise during any school holiday periods.

One thing I forgot to add is that a difference between them is that Pacific Adventure now has waterslides, but Pacific Encounter will not have them installed until March 2023.

I suppose that is either a plus or a minus, depending on how you feel about waterslides. 😁

Edited by SinbadThePorter

On 12/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

One thing I forgot to add is that a difference between them is that Pacific Adventure now has waterslides, but Pacific Encounter will not have them installed until March 2023.

I suppose that is either a plus or a minus, depending on how you feel about waterslides. 😁

My days on a waterslide are definitely over ..... don't want to scare the kiddies! and totally embarrass myself.

On 12/24/2021 at 6:12 PM, SinbadThePorter said:

Pacific Adventure does NOT have the watersides at the moment, they will apparently get installed once she gets to Australia same with Pacific Encounter.

3 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Pacific Adventure does NOT have the watersides at the moment, they will apparently get installed once she gets to Australia same with Pacific Encounter.

Then someone should let P&O know.

https://www.pocruises.com.au/ships/pacific-adventure

"We are thrilled that Pacific Adventure will arrive with a range of new restaurants, bars and other exciting features, including Byron Beach Club, and a dedicated family pool area with loads of family-oriented activities, with an all-weather retractable roof. Get ready to challenge your family, friends and new-found friends on Pacific Adventures Twin Racer Waterslides!"

https://www.pocruises.com.au/ships/pacific-encounter

"Families will love the dedicated indoor/outdoor family area with a pool, family focussed fun, games, parties and activities. Plus our fabulous Twin Racer Waterslides will be coming to Pacific Encounter on 23 March 2023."

23 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Then someone should let P&O know.

https://www.pocruises.com.au/ships/pacific-adventure

"We are thrilled that Pacific Adventure will arrive with a range of new restaurants, bars and other exciting features, including Byron Beach Club, and a dedicated family pool area with loads of family-oriented activities, with an all-weather retractable roof. Get ready to challenge your family, friends and new-found friends on Pacific Adventures Twin Racer Waterslides!"

https://www.pocruises.com.au/ships/pacific-encounter

"Families will love the dedicated indoor/outdoor family area with a pool, family focussed fun, games, parties and activities. Plus our fabulous Twin Racer Waterslides will be coming to Pacific Encounter on 23 March 2023."

I will ask P&O on Facebook in the new year and get it cleared up.

We have sailed Princess, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and P&O, P&O is more a budget line, in saying that we had a ball on our last short P&O cruise, with the white party, and live band onboard.  Like you we are getting desperate for a cruise and had a P&O cruise booked for March of course that has been cancelled along with 4 other cruises.  I feel any day at sea is a good day.  The Pacific Adventure is the Golden Princess and we went on her a lovely size ship.  We would not hesitate to go on her as P&O.

• Like 2