Sea Day for Alaskan Cruise

arlsvera

What are sea days like on an Alaskan Cruise?  We are sailing from Seattle on the Westerdam in May.  Since we have to go around Vancouver Island, we have a true sea day - not just a "scenic cruising" day.  I've been on lots of Caribbean cruises, but don't know what to expect on an Alaskan cruise.  Do they have bingo?  Trivia?  Stuff like that?  Obviously we won't be sitting around the pool as we head to Alaska!!

Thanks in advance!

There will a number of activities going on including your roll call's Meet and Greet. You just might be sitting around the pool - we've had it hit 80 on one of our Alaska cruises! It's quite something to be sailing in the glaciers with the pool roof open and enjoying the sun. 

Karen

Whatever activities that you expect during a cruise during the day will probably be available on an Alaskan "scenic cruising day".  Cruising Glacier Bay or visiting Hubbard Glacier are listed as such.  Trivia, et al., takes a back seat to the scenery that is available during much of that day.  

2 hours ago, arlsvera said:

What are sea days like on an Alaskan Cruise?  We are sailing from Seattle on the Westerdam in May.  Since we have to go around Vancouver Island, we have a true sea day - not just a "scenic cruising" day.  I've been on lots of Caribbean cruises, but don't know what to expect on an Alaskan cruise.  Do they have bingo?  Trivia?  Stuff like that?  Obviously we won't be sitting around the pool as we head to Alaska!!

Thanks in advance!

Compared to your last few cruises, Westerdam's sea day activities will be almost non-existent.  HAL isn't exactly known for daily on-board activities.  There should be trivia and maybe Bingo though.

Don't count out sitting by the pool.  The covered lido pool is actually pretty nice with the cover closed.  There just won't be any live entertainment like on other lines.  

One thing to be aware is typical sea conditions in May when sailing that route.  It's very likely you'll experience some rough seas on those days you're sailing west of Vancouver Island.  It's possible that will impact some activities as well.  

Thanks for the replies. I definitely plan to be outside when we are closer to shore (Hubbard Glacier). I was just wondering about onboard activities on the first day - the sea day when we go around Vancouver Island. I was wondering if onboard activities are similar to Caribbean cruises??

21 hours ago, arlsvera said:

I was wondering if onboard activities are similar to Caribbean cruises??

Yes, I would expect so.  But, there may be an "Alaskan" theme to some of them.  Certain activities appear--sometimes more than once/day--such as trivia. 

I did a non HAL cruise and that sea day was spent in the theatre with films about  Alaska, the wildlife, and there was a naturalist.  I am doing a 14 day with HAL in 23, lots of sea days as we head to Kodiak, hoping that they have the same, and the meet and greet. That, a couple meals and a good nap and the day is full (we saw no land for the day after embarkation day).

• Like 1

I have spent many sea days on Alaskan cruises sitting by the pool, but usually in July.  May might be cooler, but from what I've read, it tends to be dryer.  It may not be your typical sunbathing kind of day, but that doesn't mean you can't be outside enjoying the fresh air and possibly sunshine.

Sailed from Seattle to Alaska in June 2018 and the first day was rough, sea-wise, but that's not always the case. (Pack some Bonine just in case.) Covid has caused HAL to scale back onboard activities to avoid large gatherings, so you might find fewer options compared to pre-pandemic times. But there's always the spa and the gym. We enjoyed the Lincoln Center Stage performances on our last cruise this past October.

We have sailed several times to Alaska.  Always enjoyed the sea days.  We found plenty to do, and sometimes did nothing at all!  Yes, it can be different the a Caribbean sea day but we found plenty of activities to keep our interest!  Have fun!

Denise