Covid Isolation Protocols Changed

Razryn

36 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Why no  response from Royal on this sailing yet ?

Simply because...they don't have to.  I think they want this to settle down and die out. They couldn't wait to flaunt the 48 positive on that Symphony cruise as under the 1% but crickets on this one.  They don't HAVE to publicly release the positive count.

Nothing they can say is going to make this better.  Until someone from the media lights a fire under it - that's when you'll get a response.  If I were their PR, I wouldn't say anything either.  Right now, it just looks like a few disgruntled passengers raising a stink so responding gives us credit.  Not responding continues to make us look not credible.

But the fact that they aren't refuting what we're saying speaks volumes.

• Like 2

Looks like Norwegian Pearl is heading back to port early due to many crew affected. Due to arrive 1/6.  Wonder how many it took for NCL to be willing to pull the plug on a whole cruise.  This is huge as it could be the start of cancellations again.

Wonder what the threshold would be for RCI, if they even have a threshold as it sounds like they are running the ships no matter what.

Of note, we finished a Galapagos Expedition with my family 12/27.  Only 88 pax on the boat.  All vaxxed, all pretested, some multiple times due to timing of getting onto the ship.  All wore masks except when eating and drinking.  Only on ship from 12/23-12/27.

Of the 15 people we became friends with 9 out of 16 got off the boat and tested positive on the prescreen back to the US at airport.  Most asymptomatic.  My son who is 11 and me included were asymptomatic.  My daughter who is 6 and my wife were negative.  Of the 9, one 40 year old male almost required admission to the hospital.  2 had some v/d.  One congestion cough.  Rest no sxs.  

We are currently almost done with our isolation at a hotel in Ecuador.  Point is that no matter the protocols, Omicron is ravaging through every ship, large and small.  Protocols are nearly worthless at this point with only a small ability to mitigate due to the insane transmissibility.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

NCL cancelled their 1/5 Jewel sailing this afternoon.  The day before the sailing!  Wow!

At least NCL isn’t trying to sweep their Covid problems under the rug like RCI is doing.

Edited by D4
  • Like 2

On 1/3/2022 at 4:03 PM, Rosy Season said:

You know...this was like 3-4 days of garbage at this point.  It was smelly and gross.  We didn't have a choice but to throw it in the hall.

Stick it on the balcony😉😁

5 hours ago, RoyalC said:

It is comical because the virus is airborne. Cleaning as they are doing may prevent noro, which isn't a bad thing either. 

I don’t think it is comical.  I believe they are fogging the hallways and public spaces with the chemical they spray in the air while following positive passengers to their quarantine cabins.

That fogging is why B2B passengers on most of their ships aren’t being allowed back into their cabins until all the cabins are ready.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

Looks like Norwegian Pearl is heading back to port early due to many crew affected. Due to arrive 1/6.  Wonder how many it took for NCL to be willing to pull the plug on a whole cruise.  This is huge as it could be the start of cancellations again.

Wonder what the threshold would be for RCI, if they even have a threshold as it sounds like they are running the ships no matter what.

Of note, we finished a Galapagos Expedition with my family 12/27.  Only 88 pax on the boat.  All vaxxed, all pretested, some multiple times due to timing of getting onto the ship.  All wore masks except when eating and drinking.  Only on ship from 12/23-12/27.

Of the 15 people we became friends with 9 out of 16 got off the boat and tested positive on the prescreen back to the US at airport.  Most asymptomatic.  My son who is 11 and me included were asymptomatic.  My daughter who is 6 and my wife were negative.  Of the 9, one 40 year old male almost required admission to the hospital.  2 had some v/d.  One congestion cough.  Rest no sxs.  

We are currently almost done with our isolation at a hotel in Ecuador.  Point is that no matter the protocols, Omicron is ravaging through every ship, large and small.  Protocols are nearly worthless at this point with only a small ability to mitigate due to the insane transmissibility.

Wow, thanks for posting that.  It is interesting how quickly it spread on a very small ship on a short cruise.

Best wishes to you and your family.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, D4 said:

Wow, thanks for posting that.  It is interesting how quickly it spread on a very small ship on a short cruise.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks!  It was impressive how fast it spread in such a short period of time despite full vaccination, testing, masking, oy 88 pax, plus crew and almost exclusively outdoor activities.

Either way, its a risk we take anytime we travel these days.  We had all sorts of contingency plans ready based on who potentially tested positive, but were hopeful we wouldnt have to initiate them.  Plan for the worst and hope for the best.  Just glad we’re all healthy and heading home tomorrow hopefully.  I can only eat so much uber eats and room service.  Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This might be bad news if this is true, Has the CDC changed the quarantine guidance?

After the 5 days you much have a negative test to be released at the 5 day time? If that happens and the cruise lines get people with still positive test, they will have to report that  at the end of cruise, thus their totals for positives may go way up.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

I’m truly sorry to hear that NCL has had to cancel cruises.  What a disappointment for those who have already traveled to board.  …but I hope this ends the nonsense about “COVID being brought on RCCL ships by the unvaxxed children”.  

Edited by RFerrington
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

This might be bad news if this is true, Has the CDC changed the quarantine guidance?

After the 5 days you much have a negative test to be released at the 5 day time? If that happens and the cruise lines get people with still positive test, they will have to report that  at the end of cruise, thus their totals for positives may go way up.

5 day isolation seems good for everyone 

In my opinion, the second video was mainly assumptions.  And correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the CDC suggest hospital/isolation ships? Not sure why he's harping on that

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

5 day isolation seems good for everyone 

In my opinion, the second video was mainly assumptions.  And correct me if I'm wrong, didn't the CDC suggest hospital/isolation ships? Not sure why he's harping on that

I'm interested to hear what he learns from his crew friends from those ships plus his crew friends on the ships currently sailing. Whether or not he tells us everything he learns might be debatable  though.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, rimmit said:

Thanks!  It was impressive how fast it spread in such a short period of time despite full vaccination, testing, masking, oy 88 pax, plus crew and almost exclusively outdoor activities.

Either way, its a risk we take anytime we travel these days.  We had all sorts of contingency plans ready based on who potentially tested positive, but were hopeful we wouldnt have to initiate them.  Plan for the worst and hope for the best.  Just glad we’re all healthy and heading home tomorrow hopefully.  I can only eat so much uber eats and room service.  Lol.

A lot of people have been quarantined at home and in other places during this pandemic.  But your family definitely had a very unique quarantine experience in Ecuador!

I hope your Galapagos cruise was wonderful and that you have a safe trip home.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, D4 said:

A lot of people have been quarantined at home and in other places during this pandemic.  But your family definitely had a very unique quarantine experience in Ecuador!

I hope your Galapagos cruise was wonderful and that you have a safe trip home.

Thanks.  The cruise was great.  Definitely a change of pace from big ship cruising for sure, but got to see tons of wild life.  Shoulda gone with a big ship.  Even if we were positive there I coulda drove home or at least be in the US.  We debated among a bunch if cruises for the holidays but figured the least likely to have issues would be a small expedition ship in which everyone was vaccinated, required vax to get to ecuador and the galapagos.  Required test to get into both.  Religious mask wearing except the dining room and all outdoor activities.  Welp,  that was clearly a bad assumption.  Omicron didnt exist in Nov when we boomed though.  And there cancellation policies were not flexible at all.

Sadly, we were unable to get home today.  Despite what the AA phone rep told us and what we needed to get home, apparently, there is no consistency.  Of several families we know,  one is on their way home now and tested positive on 1/2.  One was told 10 days.  Another family was told 7 days.  We were told 7 by the lab and 5 by the AA phone rep as that was the new CDC guidance.   Get to airport and they tell us it’s 15 days AND a negative Antigen AND a negative blood test.  On no website have I seen those recs and I’ve read them all.  So its a little frustrating not having any consistent guidelines.  Its super frustrating as that means if you consistently test positive you will never go home.  I dont mind the isolation, would just like some consistency.  It was definitely a little demoralizing being at the airport at 5AM only to have the rug pulled out from under us for the 2nd time.  I honestly dont know what it’ll take to get home at this point if we dont test negative.  

If we test positive consistently, I may have to ask the embassy for assistance as all the airlines specifically state a covid test in 1 day OR a Dr note stating covid recovery as many people can test positive for weeks to months.  We’ll see.  Thankfully my son has taken the disappointment well so far.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Thanks.  The cruise was great.  Definitely a change of pace from big ship cruising for sure, but got to see tons of wild life.  Shoulda gone with a big ship.  Even if we were positive there I coulda drove home or at least be in the US.  We debated among a bunch if cruises for the holidays but figured the least likely to have issues would be a small expedition ship in which everyone was vaccinated, required vax to get to ecuador and the galapagos.  Required test to get into both.  Religious mask wearing except the dining room and all outdoor activities.  Welp,  that was clearly a bad assumption.  Omicron didnt exist in Nov when we boomed though.  And there cancellation policies were not flexible at all.

Sadly, we were unable to get home today.  Despite what the AA phone rep told us and what we needed to get home, apparently, there is no consistency.  Of several families we know,  one is on their way home now and tested positive on 1/2.  One was told 10 days.  Another family was told 7 days.  We were told 7 by the lab and 5 by the AA phone rep as that was the new CDC guidance.   Get to airport and they tell us it’s 15 days AND a negative Antigen AND a negative blood test.  On no website have I seen those recs and I’ve read them all.  So its a little frustrating not having any consistent guidelines.  Its super frustrating as that means if you consistently test positive you will never go home.  I dont mind the isolation, would just like some consistency.  It was definitely a little demoralizing being at the airport at 5AM only to have the rug pulled out from under us for the 2nd time.  I honestly dont know what it’ll take to get home at this point if we dont test negative.  

If we test positive consistently, I may have to ask the embassy for assistance as all the airlines specifically state a covid test in 1 day OR a Dr note stating covid recovery as many people can test positive for weeks to months.  We’ll see.  Thankfully my son has taken the disappointment well so far.

I feel for you.  I can’t imagine packing everything up, getting to the airport way early, and then finding out you can’t fly home.

So did you go back to the same hotel and check back in?

The lack of consistent policies is a huge problem. 

I wish you the best.

• Like 1

Yes,  it was heartbreaking when the people said we couldnt check in, despite me showing them the AA website requirements. 

For a change of pace we moved from the Courtyard Guayaquil to the Sheraton. Trying to rack up Marriot Bonvoy points.  The Sheraron is across from the mall here so that gives us more food option than Uber eats and room service. I liked the courtyard more though, TBH.  It is newer and nicer so we may move back after a day or two.  
We will test everyday until we get a negative and then try again and hope that we get a different person checking covid papers, as it is totally person dependent it seems based on what other families have experienced.  We definitely need a negative test at the minimum and the number of days varies based on person.  A “note of recovery” is useless.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Jimbo said:

One passenger testing positive twice is still one case, it just means longer quarantine time.

57 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Yes,  it was heartbreaking when the people said we couldnt check in, despite me showing them the AA website requirements. 

For a change of pace we moved from the Courtyard Guayaquil to the Sheraton. Trying to rack up Marriot Bonvoy points.  The Sheraron is across from the mall here so that gives us more food option than Uber eats and room service. I liked the courtyard more though, TBH.  It is newer and nicer so we may move back after a day or two.  
We will test everyday until we get a negative and then try again and hope that we get a different person checking covid papers, as it is totally person dependent it seems based on what other families have experienced.  We definitely need a negative test at the minimum and the number of days varies based on person.  A “note of recovery” is useless.

Have you tried changing to a different airline such as jet blue which seems to have adapted the CDC 5 day recommendation according to their Ap.  At about $320 per seat seems worthwhile to take the AA credit to be used elsewhere and just go with another airline.

Might be worth calling them and see what the exact requirements are.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

Just now, nocl said:

Have you tried changing to a different airline such as jet blue which seems to have adapted the CDC 5 day recommendation according to their Ap.  At about $320 per seat seems worthwhile to take the AA credit to be used elsewhere and just go with another airline.

They are quarantined in Ecuador

4 minutes ago, D4 said:

They are quarantined in Ecuador

I know. Though according to what they posted they have completed quarantine, it is that the airline will not let them fly at this time.

Jet Blue to LAX is $319 one way from the city they are in.  Just checked before I posted.

I have used them to SA several times.  No need to stick with one airline if they are using different criteria.  

Comes down to which is more valuable time vs money.  Considering the air fare vs hotel costs the change might be more economical as well.

Edited by nocl

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

@rimmitI'm not sure I understand why you're waiting to get the embassy involved.  There's no downside to making them aware of your situation, and they may be able to help you resolve this, or at least be able to provide guidance to local resources that you're not aware of.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nocl said:

One passenger testing positive twice is still one case, it just means longer quarantine time..

If you are let out of quarantine before the  cruise is over it doesn't count as a case when the ship disembarks? Therefore it's not reported to the CDC

I have debated Jet Blue.  Our options are Jet Blue, Spirit, AA here in GYE.  United switched to five days but United is not an option.  The issue is I am not sure if Jet blue will honor their own recs and Jet Blue doesnt get me home, although at this point I will take Jet Blue to the US and book any other airline to get back to my origin airport. We may try that route.  We have vouchers with AA and spirit at this point with all the rebookings and cancellations.

AA is not honoring their own recs so it makes me paranoid as to what the guidelines are and if Jet Blue will be better.  Where does 15 days AND antigen AND blood all negative to be found on the website.  Its totally random.  That is NOWHERE on the website.  That was shocking when they told me that as that kills of persistently positive people if you can’t have a “letter of recovery”

If our test comes back persistently positive I will call the embassy.   Its not a bad idea if this continues.  Just dont want to come off as some entitled jerk.  We chose to travel during Covid and have to accept the consequences, albeit, consistent guidelines would be nice.

• Like 2