Caribbean Princess Ice Cream

ALWAYS CRUZIN

Please do not condemn me for complaining. I love ice-cream. Carnivals, Royals are excellent. But the Ice Cream The Caribbean Princess Lido deck was totally degusting. Last two times we were on this ship it was just OK but not frozen solid. Always runny. This time It was also runny but the taste would gag you unless you love eating raw sugar. It was nothing more than a lot of sugar and white or brown goo. Yes I mean goo. They also had scooped ice-cream. Exactly the same. It would not come out of the scoop it was so gooey.

Usually you see people walking around with an ice cream cone or cup. I saw them tossing it in the trash. Including myself. I like a good ice-cream with a nice pastry. Most any other way also especially soft serv. I have been told that the ice-cream in the MDR was good. If it is, why isn't the one on the Lido deck any good? There I feel better now!

Each and every time we sail Princess (twice since restart with another this week and another in Feb), wife and I both note in our after cruise reviews the horrible iced slop served in Coffee and Cones. It is purely disingenuous to call it ice cream. 

With respect to @skynight, it's been this way for years and the solution will require a LOT more than a temperature "fix". On the CB last week, even the "ice cream" in the MDR (CC) was shadow of its former self. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skynight said:

Princess will get this fixed. Probably a temperature issue in the machines.

Not just the temperature. From what I understand they make the ice-cream. Just buy it like Carnival does and set the machine up correctly. Temp and air to add to the mix. Not rocket science.

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Not just the temperature. From what I understand they make the ice-cream. Just buy it like Carnival does and set the machine up correctly. Temp and air to add to the mix. Not rocket science.

As you say, if they take the time to set up the machine correctly it can be pretty good although. I've had it numerous times when it was lousy & others when it was decent.

I wouldn't exactly call it "ice cream" but it's OK for something by the pool.

1 minute ago, clueless2 said:

If you want decent ice cream take a Holland America cruise.   The serve real ice cream (not soft serve).  With multiple flavors.  (Well at least they did on the last HAL cruise I took)

HAL is sounding better all the time.

Our neighbors were Princess fans for the longest time & switched to HAL a few years ago and never looked back.

• Like 2

The Lido ice cream on Emerald was more like ice milk and very sweet.
The gelato in the cafe was excellent, but I had to buy a card for 5 scoops. I had one scoop, went back the next day and the freezer was broken - no gelato for the rest of the cruise.

2 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

The Lido ice cream on Emerald was more like ice milk and very sweet.
The gelato in the cafe was excellent, but I had to buy a card for 5 scoops. I had one scoop, went back the next day and the freezer was broken - no gelato for the rest of the cruise.

You did ask for your money back, didn't you?

17 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Each and every time we sail Princess (twice since restart with another this week and another in Feb), wife and I both note in our after cruise reviews the horrible iced slop served in Coffee and Cones. It is purely disingenuous to call it ice cream. 

With respect to @skynight, it's been this way for years and the solution will require a LOT more than a temperature "fix". On the CB last week, even the "ice cream" in the MDR (CC) was shadow of its former self. 

Ice cream was better when offered at a nominal charge.  I can't even do that complimentary stuff.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Carnival's ice cream crushes Princess.

But on Sky Princess in November, the ice cream was better than average.  Not so for most Princess cruises we have been on.  But I still eat it!

Don

We did a Sky cruise and yes, the ice-cream was very good.

On 1/2/2022 at 3:31 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Please do not condemn me for complaining. I love ice-cream. Carnivals, Royals are excellent. But the Ice Cream The Caribbean Princess Lido deck was totally degusting. Last two times we were on this ship it was just OK but not frozen solid. Always runny. This time It was also runny but the taste would gag you unless you love eating raw sugar. It was nothing more than a lot of sugar and white or brown goo. Yes I mean goo. They also had scooped ice-cream. Exactly the same. It would not come out of the scoop it was so gooey.

Usually you see people walking around with an ice cream cone or cup. I saw them tossing it in the trash. Including myself. I like a good ice-cream with a nice pastry. Most any other way also especially soft serv. I have been told that the ice-cream in the MDR was good. If it is, why isn't the one on the Lido deck any good? There I feel better now!

Ya, I thought it was more like ice milk than ice cream.  Was the same consistency whenever we got any dessert with ice cream.  The Cones shop had all kinds of ice cream sandwiches on their menu but never the ones needed to make the ones my wife wanted.  One day they had vanilla and coconut; she really wanted the Snickerdoodle Sandwich.  We didn't get anything from Cones.  All ice cream we got was in the MDR.