EDGE Live Report: Sudden Indoor Mask Mandate On All Celebrity Ships, No Notice Given During Jan 2 Boarding (FLL)

Fly and Sail

12 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

1200 guests on the current sailing. ~2300 on the last one. I did enjoy the NYE crowd though, very lively atmosphere. You'll either have an almost private cruise by JAN30 or no cruise at all. 😉

Any way to get an idea of how many passengers are expected on the January 23rd sailing? Asking just in case you hear something in passing or from the crew.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

The whole thing will have almost zero impact on me coming to think of it. I'll sit in the Cafe, Eden or on the deck all day with a beverage in front of me (-> no mask) or stay in my cabin.

It's all "Much ado about nothing."  We did a 20 day B2B Med/TA on Harmony, and masks were very liberally enforced.  We tolerated it, but they came off at every opportunity.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can understand the frustration. I would agree with you though that they should have given you warning prior to boarding, so you could have cancelled and not impacted other passengers (especially with being inconsiderate to others and the crew who are trying to reduce case counts so ports can be visited).

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, RollWave said:

Any way to get an idea of how many passengers are expected on the January 23rd sailing? Asking just in case you hear something in passing or from the crew.

I'll try to find out and either update or PM you if I hear anything. But considering we're 3 weeks out and cruises in the news again my guess is the numbers will plummet like ripe fruit.

2 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I would have been able to handle it perfectly. By withdrawing from the cruise. Not like this was introduced mid-sailing, X knew about this and didn't properly notify the guests.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised about more Covid cases post-cruise after what went on here during NYE. 😂

So what went on on NYE?

3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

So what went on on NYE?

Pool action at night, lots of dancing with minimal to zero distance between folks, lots of alcohol. All the stuff that normally happens on cruises plus a bit more party atmosphere and alcohol.

Quite frankly, if cruise lines were really concerned about the spread of viruses (esp Covid) they would not hold events like silent disco, daily theatre shows and have the pool/deck packed like sardines. I think the buffet is still a flashpoint too and if masks should be mandatory anywhere permanently then there. Despite visers and screens people still talk in front of open food and reach their hands over it to hand over/take back their plates.

• Like 4

I have no real problem with the sudden change in policy. That's just going to happen right now 

I do, however, have a problem with the manner by which you were notified (or not notified, so to speak). That should have been done better. 

• Like 6

Let's play Celebrity CEO...you arrive at your office in the morning and find three communications on your desk...

From the CDC:  We are skeptical about the safety of cruising. If you want to keep operating, you need to do things such as require testing before and during a cruise, reduce the number of passengers, and have AND ENFORCE a mask policy. If the number of cases keeps going up, we may have to shut down cruising.

From Cruiser Group #1:  We will be furious if Celebrity requires masks or imposes other precautions/restrictions which will destroy our vacation and will cancel if they do.  The CDC is crazy.  People who are too scared about the risk of cruising should just stay home rather than demanding that Celebrity have such policies because their excessive concerns will destroy the cruise experience for others and hurt the cruise line.  

From Cruiser Group #2:  We will be furious if Celebrity doesn't require masks as well as implement other precautions/restrictions and will cancel if they don't.  The CDC is right. People who are too scared or unwilling to wear a mask should just stay home because their unwillingness to take precautions endangers the well-being of others and hurt the cruise line.

You are in charge of Celebrity...what is your decision?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Pool action at night, lots of dancing with minimal to zero distance between folks, lots of alcohol. All the stuff that normally happens on cruises plus a bit more party atmosphere and alcohol.

Quite frankly, if cruise lines were really concerned about the spread of viruses (esp Covid) they would not hold events like silent disco, daily theatre shows and have the pool/deck packed like sardines. I think the buffet is still a flashpoint too and if masks should be mandatory anywhere permanently then there. Despite visers and screens people still talk in front of open food and reach their hands over it to hand over/take back their plates.

Do you have any concept of how COVID spreads? You cannot get it from eating food.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/covid-19-update-usda-fda-underscore-current-epidemiologic-and-scientific-information-indicating-no

Edited by JamieLogical

With regards to wearing masks in public areas indoors, unless everyone complies it's doubtful anything other than an N95 type mask will offer

protection. They afford more enhanced protection to the wearer and others.  just a thought.

1 hour ago, Bluewake said:

Let's play Celebrity CEO...you arrive at your office in the morning and find three communications on your desk...

From the CDC:  We are skeptical about the safety of cruising. If you want to keep operating, you need to do things such as require testing before and during a cruise, reduce the number of passengers, and have AND ENFORCE a mask policy. If the number of cases keeps going up, we may have to shut down cruising.

From Cruiser Group #1:  We will be furious if Celebrity requires masks or imposes other precautions/restrictions which will destroy our vacation and will cancel if they do.  The CDC is crazy.  People who are too scared about the risk of cruising should just stay home rather than demanding that Celebrity have such policies because their excessive concerns will destroy the cruise experience for others and hurt the cruise line.  

From Cruiser Group #2:  We will be furious if Celebrity doesn't require masks as well as implement other precautions/restrictions and will cancel if they don't.  The CDC is right. People who are too scared or unwilling to wear a mask should just stay home because their unwillingness to take precautions endangers the well-being of others and hurt the cruise line.

You are in charge of Celebrity...what is your decision?

The CDC and Group #2.

My reading of the OP's points are that they are not as much about the wearing of the mask but more to do with the poor execution on the part of Celebrity to put out the correct information and that the OP's right to make a decision appropriate for his/her needs was not considered. It sounds like this person would have preferred to not be on this leg of the trip had he/she been afforded the opportunity to make an informed and appropriate decision. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

It's all "Much ado about nothing."  We did a 20 day B2B Med/TA on Harmony, and masks were very liberally enforced.  We tolerated it, but they came off at every opportunity.  

When was your cruise?  That was most likely great timing and not with the uptick in Omicron that can spread like wildfire.  Glad you had a great b2b!  Right now, primary sources onboard are sharing information, so please be one of them!

Edited by Lastdance

13 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I have no real problem with the sudden change in policy. That's just going to happen right now 

I do, however, have a problem with the manner by which you were notified (or not notified, so to speak). That should have been done better. 

Ahhh, but knowing that things can change in an instant should always be part of a plan?  Celebrity is not always great with communication.  Would you have canceled your cruise if you found out a few days in advance?  I understand from where you are coming...but so much has changed.  I have developed  resiliency from varied experiences.

Edited by Lastdance

I'm on Reflection and docked alongside Edge at the moment.  Hi to Fly & Sail.

I honestly have to say I understand Fly & Sail's reaction.  I wasn't happy yesterday when we boarded Reflection and then told about the mask mandate.  Did I think it could happen, absolutely.  But I repeatedly asked if a mask mandate was going to be put in place (we are sailing with a group) and I was repeatedly told no, as recent as the middle of last week.  

The problem here is communication.  We received at least four or five alerts yesterday from Celebrity before boarding about being sure to complete our muster drill video and reporting to our station (we continued to receive these alerts after we completed both which were done by 12:30 PM).  They could have easily alerted us about the mask mandate but didn't.  

I am sailing with others that very likely would have chose not to spend their vacation dollars on a ship that mandated masks.  I'm not debating whether it's a good idea, bad idea, right or wrong.  The lack of communication so people can make their own decisions is the problem.  

If I were a betting person (and I'm not), this decision was made well before yesterday morning.  Not communicating it to guests until they are in the terminal or onboard isn't the way to handle this.  It just creates more frustration and unhappy guests.

That said, while I'm not happy with the way they chose to disclose the information, I'm personally happy to be onboard.  But would I do it again....we'll have to wait and see how the rest of the cruise goes.

Fly & Sail ~ wishing you a good rest of your time on Edge!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1