On Oasis after waiting 90 minutes family misses ship.

Karter

On 1/11/2022 at 9:52 AM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Since then I’m always careful to have several mechanisms for getting to at least a copy of my passport, and my fingerprints are in the DOD system!  

Just realize that DOS and DOD systems are TOTALLY different, and do not talk. 😄

29 minutes ago, SRF said:

Just realize that DOS and DOD systems are TOTALLY different, and do not talk. 😄

Indeed and there are more that don’t interface or even recognize each other.  The funniest one was my boss had been at the White House and the Patent Office initially wouldn’t recognize him temporArily.  He offered to call the secretary of Defense directly, for them to verify.  Suddenly, they accepted his temporarily.    I’ve also found parts of the DOD system aren’t exactly connected.  But, my point was that previous fingerprints existed in several places, more for identification than for anything else.  During Y2K DoS accepted my DOD, I believe, for at least a visit. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2022 at 12:25 AM, brillohead said:

Additionally, I'd recommend finding out what settings you'll need to change to avoid excessive cellular fees.

Apple watches don't roam out of your home country except for the International Emergency SOS feature which is on Series 5 or later. There are no charges for using the International Emergency SOS feature. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2022 at 6:37 AM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

dropbox requires internet connection photos don’t,and email may not.  

The point of storing them in the cloud or dropbox is that they are accessible from anywhere. I f you lose an entire backpack or purse which includes your phone, you can go to anyones computer and phone and still access them. 

3 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

The point of storing them in the cloud or dropbox is that they are accessible from anywhere. I f you lose an entire backpack or purse which includes your phone, you can go to anyones computer and phone and still access them. 

As long as you don’t have two factor authentication enabled. Or as long as you remember one of the 10 digit special codes. 

24 minutes ago, AustinCruise said:

As long as you don’t have two factor authentication enabled. Or as long as you remember one of the 10 digit special codes. 

You do not need special codes to log in to your own email.

4 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

The same access can be said of an email. But, my point was that you need internet connections to get to a Dropbox and you may need access to the internet if you don't have the device the email was downloaded to.   The internet is not accessible from everywhere.  

1 hour ago, AustinCruise said:

That too!  I hate the two factor as well as whatever Google has currently done to complain about a different device has logged in currently.  That could be vpn doing that to me but it’s annoying for sure! 

49 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

have you ever logged into your email in a foreign port?  I took a computer off ship to work in a Canadian terminal.  Gmail didn’t like the new IP and blocked me until I okayed it with another email, which then also had to be verified.  And that wasn’t even two factor authentication!, 

6 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

You do if you're logging in from a computer that you haven't previously authorized, at least with Gmail.  You either need to have access to your phone to "give permission" when prompted, or you need to enter an access code that you downloaded in advance.  

That's why it's called "two factor authentication" -- because you need two different ways (factors) to prove (authenticate) that you have permission to be accessing that Gmail account.  The first way is knowing the password, and the second way is either having access to the linked mobile device, or knowing one of the pre-assigned special access codes. 

So maybe next time don't be so condescending about something you have no personal knowledge of. 

On 1/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, topnole said:

Absolutely!

Of course you don’t need to be passed out to be robbed.  Take a visit and watch the pros work in Rome and Barcelona.   Also, people leave phones behind accidentally all the time when perfectly sober and not on vacation when completely distracted.  

Point being - Don’t just rely on a photo on your phone.  That is really bad advice and it is an insufficient back up strategy. Scan and email it to yourself too.  That is your most full proof method of accessing the documentation in the unlikely event you lose or are separated from your passport.  

I recall being over in Barcelona for a football match with friends and whilst sitting in the Ramblas enjoying a beer, we observed a team of 3 "ladies" attempting to dip the pockets of a few gentleman.

We decided to set them up and one of our friends walked past them with some Kazakhstan Tenge in his pocket (he removed all other valuables). The total worth of this currency was about 50 cents but the trap worked and the money was quite skillfully taken. When they looked at the cash they were not happy and went back and started shouting at our friend and calling him a cheat. We had filmed it all and showed the police the film and these ladies were taken away. We also put the film on a well known video hosting site but for some reason, they took it down.

Be careful if you are in Barcelona (or numerous other locations) as these gangs are still looking for victims.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Digjharper said:

I recall being over in Barcelona for a football match with friends and whilst sitting in the Ramblas enjoying a beer, we observed a team of 3 "ladies" attempting to dip the pockets of a few gentleman.

We decided to set them up and one of our friends walked past them with some Kazakhstan Tenge in his pocket (he removed all other valuables). The total worth of this currency was about 50 cents but the trap worked and the money was quite skillfully taken. When they looked at the cash they were not happy and went back and started shouting at our friend and calling him a cheat. We had filmed it all and showed the police the film and these ladies were taken away. We also put the film on a well known video hosting site but for some reason, they took it down.

Be careful if you are in Barcelona (or numerous other locations) as these gangs are still looking for victims.

I’ve witnessed very similar things.  Always have to be very diligent!!

15 hours ago, Digjharper said:

I had a friend who had a similar issue. 

Her husband had his wallet in his FRONT pants pocket to guard against the legendary pickpockets, and some kids (teenaged boys) took it while he was on a bus.  The kids got off at a stop, and just as the bus started moving again, they knocked on the window and pointed at my friend's DH and pointed to his wallet in their hand and just laughed at him as the bus pulled away.  

At the time her DH was in his 40s, with an Army haircut and around 6'4" tall -- certainly not what one would consider a weakling or easy target.  Those pickpockets are professionals, no doubt about it.

16 hours ago, Digjharper said:

Thank you for this.  We are going to Rome and Barcelona later this year.   Good reminder.  

On 1/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, Karter said:

After waiting 90 minutes a family of 8  missed the ship by 5 minutes. We also had a couple 1 hour late that needed to finish their cigarettes before getting on the ship even with the crew urging them to board. We were also delayed for an ambulance to remove a passenger. Not sure if the ship should have stopped pulling away for the family or not given how late they were. Still sad being that close. 

it out, right in front of them! 🤣

On 1/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, tinkr2 said:

Some systems require a second authentication if you log in from a new computer.

That is normally a code texted to your phone.  No phone, you can't get into your email.  Some have other ways, like security questions, if you remember your answers.

I think Drop Box also does something similar.

There is no ONE answer.  Best is on your phone, on your tablet, in your email, in Dropbox.

And finally, if you are a belt and suspenders type of person, email them to a trusted friend who can email them directly to the Consular Officer.