I can't buy Carnival Cruise Protection if I live in NY??

Sherun

2 minutes ago, Sherun said:

I went to add on the Carnival Cruise Protection for my cruise in April and it says you can't if you live in New York, Quebec, or Puerto Rico. Anyone know why this is?

No. Check with your state Insurance Commissioner's Office for details.

The short answer is because Carnival insurance includes a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider on their policy. CFAR riders on an insurance policy is not legal in NY. NY doesn't consider CFAR an "insurance".

Go to this site and you'll be able to purchase better insurance at a cheaper price anyway. If you have any question before buying, just call them up.

Want to Understand How Trip Cancellation Insurance Works? 888-407-3854 Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

I recommend InsureMyTrip.com for travel insurance, but unfortunately, you might not be able to book CFAR coverage from anyone if you live in New York.  😮 

However, you can look for other options and compare plans on the site, and if needed, de-select CFAR coverage on plans that include it.  (InsureMyTrip is the recognized leader in travel-insurance aggregator and comparison sites.)

Edited by Pellaz
link added

12 hours ago, klfrodo said:

The short answer is because Carnival insurance includes a "Cancel For Any Reason" rider on their policy. CFAR riders on an insurance policy is not legal in NY. NY doesn't consider CFAR an "insurance".

Go to this site and you'll be able to purchase better insurance at a cheaper price anyway. If you have any question before buying, just call them up.

Want to Understand How Trip Cancellation Insurance Works? 888-407-3854 Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

agree that there are cheaper options but when i compared prices buying insurance through the cruise line in the long run came out much more convenient when filing a claim. essentially, when insurance is bought through the cruise line a claim is not necessary. that alone makes it a value choice for me.

2 hours ago, cyclist_guy1 said:

essentially, when insurance is bought through the cruise line a claim is not necessary. 

Please explain how you came across this information.

Cruise line insurance is sold as a convenience to the customer. The cruise line makes a commission. The policy is still managed by AON in Carnivals situation.

You're saying that if on an excursion, I slip and fall and need to go to the hospital that since I bought the cruise lines insurance, I don't have to make a claim? Thats preposterous.

9 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Please explain how you came across this information.

Cruise line insurance is sold as a convenience to the customer. The cruise line makes a commission. The policy is still managed by AON in Carnivals situation.

You're saying that if on an excursion, I slip and fall and need to go to the hospital that since I bought the cruise lines insurance, I don't have to make a claim? Thats preposterous.

I would add to this look at what you are getting in your policy. I prefer to have better medical coverage in a policy. Even if you are young and healthy, anyone can have an accident and end up hospitalized.

I prefer www.squaremouth.com to shop for policies. Their comparison charts just make more sense to my brain.

Edited by Denise72

But, you do have one benefit that comes with living in NY when it comes to insurance. The Commissioner had ruled that the insurance company must refund your premium if either you or the cruise line cancels your cruise. 

We got our premium back in 2020 for a cruise we cancelled before Princess did. My TA has told me that NY is the only state with this rule.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

But, you do have one benefit that comes with living in NY when it comes to insurance. The Commissioner had ruled that the insurance company must refund your premium if either you or the cruise line cancels your cruise. 

We got our premium back in 2020 for a cruise we cancelled before Princess did. My TA has told me that NY is the only state with this rule.

When our April 2020 cruise was cancelled by Carnival, we got our travel insurance premium refunded promptly. We live in Texas. We always get our travel insurance through Squaremouth.com. I would think any reputable insurance company would refund in this case. 

What I wonder about is my parking that I've prepaid, kind of doubt I'd get a refund there!

15 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

When our April 2020 cruise was cancelled by Carnival, we got our travel insurance premium refunded promptly. We live in Texas. We always get our travel insurance through Squaremouth.com. I would think any reputable insurance company would refund in this case. 

What I wonder about is my parking that I've prepaid, kind of doubt I'd get a refund there!

Would you have received an insurance refund if you had cancelled the cruise assuming the cruise did sail?

I'm sure living in NY, there are lots and lots of things you cannot do as compared to the rest of the USA.  😛 

(Just being a tiny bit sarcastic... the licensing issue described above is what it's all about.)

On 1/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, klfrodo said:

Carnival doesn't consider CFAR insurance, either. I believe they state as much 

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Insurance sold by cruise lines are group policies, where age does not factor into cost. The older you are, the better value a group policy is.

The older you are the less expensive they are as a comparison to private insurance would be a more accurate statement. If the medical coverage is not high enough and you end up having to use the insurance, then they are not a good value.