The Daily for Wednesday 01/05/2022

richwmn

DH and I are headed home. ETA is 5:00 tomorrow morning. Snow is expected tomorrow afternoon through Friday so we decided to get home while we can. Our community will shut down the roads if it isn't safe to drive. We have heard of people getting to the community and being told they can't go home because the roads were too dangerous.

Have a good night and stay safe.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

DH and I are headed home. ETA is 5:00 tomorrow morning. Snow is expected tomorrow afternoon through Friday so we decided to get home while we can. Our community will shut down the roads if it isn't safe to drive. We have heard of people getting to the community and being told they can't go home because the roads were too dangerous.

Safe travels.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Safe travels!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Sorry Sharon! I remember you sharing your problems months ago. Mine took a bit longer to show up, so I should be grateful for that. 

Praying that you & DH do not come down with Covid & that your son recovers quickly. 

Thank you Ann. 

2 hours ago, dfish said:

There are several threads about this in the Help Forum.  One of them has been going on since 2020, which gives you the idea how long the problem has persisted.  I think those of us having these issues should let the powers that be know on a somewhat regular basis.  You can email them at help@cruisecritic.com.    And let them know that clearing cookies and caches is only a temporary and constantly annoying solution.  There needs to be a fix.   

Good point Lenda. I haven’t emailed about the problem yet. I might just compose a text and save it, then cut and paste in an email and send it every time it happens. 

• Like 6

Today was a travel day. When I left Fort Lauderdale this morning the thread had a little over 1 page. When I check tonight it is 7!

Hope everyone had a good day, and also the rest of the week is good as well.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Tana has been moved to the ICU.DD is waiting for  the hospitalist in charge to call.We assume that the high flow oxygen was the issue.

Sending prayers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Safe travels.  Drive carefully tonight.

28 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Today was a travel day. When I left Fort Lauderdale this morning the thread had a little over 1 page. When I check tonight it is 7!

Glad you made it home safely.  Thank you for taking us along on your cruise .

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

I am sure you are in the minority too as these are cruise ships tooting while still in port, not quite underway out of the port.

If there was any danger wouldn't there be immediate communication with the port?

What do the Rules of the Road say about that?

The only horn blowing I have witnessed at sea is during a TA when we were encased in fog and the horn was blown every 5" or so to alert other ships.

Thank you for your service, sir!!

I wasn't aware that there was a wind surfer in the way of the ship.  Obviously a warning signal would be appropriate.  Here is what Knight's Modern Seamanship says:

"80.35  Rule prohibiting unnecessary sounding of the whistle.--Unnecessary sounding of the whistle is prohibited within any harbor limits of the United States.  Whenever any licensed officer in charge of any vessel shall authorize or permit such unnecessary whistling, such officer may be proceeded against in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 4450, as amended, looking to a revocation or suspension of his license."

I have never read anything to indicate that cruise ships are exempt from this rule.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Unfortunately rodents, including squirrels,  cannot vomit what they eat. 

Ever since a surgical repair a number of years ago, me neither.  Never thought of myself as a rodent, though.  🙃

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Be careful, especially if you have outside spigots.  A frozen pipe there may still be frozen and start to leak when it thaws out.

Roy

Your post reminded me… when I first moved to the US I was surprised to discover that the US has its own version of English.  My outside tap was leaking so I asked the employee at the store for an O-ring.  He had a blank look on his face so I realized I had used the wrong word.  I then told him the outdoor tap was leaking and I needed a washer.  He looked confused.  Wracking my brain for an alternate word, I said “You know.  The faucet.”  He looked even more puzzled so I went into a lengthy explanation of “It’s the thing outside that you hook your hose up to and the water comes out.”  His eyes lit up and he said “Oh!  The spigot!!”  

So, speaking of outside spigots… I learned in Canada that you turn off the water to the outside spigots, then open them up so that any water left in the lines has somewhere to expand to when they freeze.  If you leave them closed the pipes will burst.  The person who did the inspection on this house showed us where a repair had been made where someone hadn’t done that.

Edited by *Miss G*
Forgot a word!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, JAM37 said:

Smart to get home before the storm hits.  They are predicting a doozie here - hopefully they are wrong for both of our sakes.  Safe travels!

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Glad to hear you are home safe!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I am sure I am very much in the minority, but I hate to read this and similar posts.  To me, this is just like the captain is "crying wolf".  At least 10-15 toots of the ship's whistle in the danger signal.  In my USN career I qualified as officer of the deck for underway steaming and I know the meaning of whistle blasts and I am sure the captain of a cruise ship has received similar training.  I wonder why they ignore the International Rules of the Road?

Ray

Ray, after I posted this the captain came on and said there was another ship in his path. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1