NCL Cancellation Announcements - January 5th 2022

Cruise Gopher

We were supposed  to be boarding  the Getaway  today.  Instead  we are sitting in an airport  hotel  working  on our return  home plans.  Many others also staying  here and reworking  their plans.  Also kave seen at least five people  wearing CDC vests.  (They are not chatting with other guests)

Is there anyone that knows WHY our Getaway cruise was cancelled with less than 24 hour notice? 

That is the most  frustrating thing for us.  

We will get through our 7th cancellation,  but this one isn't easy since we had had flown over 2000 miles to get here.   (Going home and will plan a driving trip to Las Vegas😊)

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Sand and Seas said:

We were supposed  to be boarding  the Getaway  today.  Instead  we are sitting in an airport  hotel  working  on our return  home plans.  Many others also staying  here and reworking  their plans.  Also kave seen at least five people  wearing CDC vests.  (They are not chatting with other guests)

Is there anyone that knows WHY our Getaway cruise was cancelled with less than 24 hour notice? 

We will get through our 7th cancellation,  but this one isn't easy since we had had flown over 2000 miles to get here.   (Going home and will plan a driving trip to Las Vegas😊)

Yes we are flying 2500 miles to NOLA on the 14th and hoping we get notification before we go. If we dont we will just head somewhere else for a week in that part of the country as we are there. Not sure why the Gateway is cancelled and the Breakaway is not. 

• Like 2

Im on the Breakaway MArch 6th, hoping for it NOT  to be cancelled but if it is oh well....book another cruise in a few months. We drive to the port so not a big deal if it is canceled on short notice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Someone mentioned that since they are a smaller line, they are unable to offload infected people and replace them with people who are no longer infected.  It does make sense that the larger lines have more options.

I do agree to an extent and even I mentioned it way up there ^ in my original post as a theory that is being floated. But, NCL has ships that have not yet returned to service. If this theory pans out it means that NCL didn't have the foresight to place those empty ships in the Caribbean in anticipation. I don't blame them really, seriously who saw this coming! 

Many people don't realize just how small NCL is when comparing to the other lines.  Just in case anyone is interested, this is a chart of market share from 2018. 

image.png.54857cbfbc0df0cacde5d9d3106b019d.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Hang in there! I feel for you, sounds like my tip for Vegas was a good one eh 😉   I go frequently, here are few "tips" 

1)Go to Cosmopolitan, go to Block 16 food court to the restaurant LARDO, order the "Lardo fries" as take out. They give you enough for two people, ARE SO DELISH, and are only 5.00. Then go to Milk Bar and get yourself a cookie!

If you want something fancier, I think there is a Scarpetta in Cosmo, but I have not eaten there yet. 

Cosmo has the best drinks on their gaming floor, go to the chandelier bar and either gamble or try many of  the their drinks on menu. If you just go to the Cosmo gaming floor and are playing slots, my favorites are is the Lemon Drop or Raspberry Lemon drop martini. 

2) the pinball arcade would be a good time! 

3) Since you are driving, the grand canyon would be amazing this time of year! 

4) Go see Mirage volcano show as it will soon be gone (hardrock is buying it and putting one of their guitars up) 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

I’m soooo sorry this happened to you and your fellow cruisers.  I heard this morning from one of the YouTube cruise vloggers that the Getaway cancellation was due to the ports being closed, not due to crew illness/quarantine which is what the Pearl is attributed to.  Take it with a grain of salt, not sure who their sources are.

Edited by LisaDee
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

large Covid outbreak. I just got off of the Getaway from quarantine. I don’t know numbers, but quite a few people in our quarantine group and saw some pics of how many lunch trays were being delivered to those still on board. It was a lot

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do agree to an extent and even I mentioned it way up there ^ in my original post as a theory that is being floated. But, NCL has ships that have not yet returned to service. If this theory pans out it means that NCL didn't have the foresight to place those empty ships in the Caribbean in anticipation. I don't blame them really, seriously who saw this coming! 

Many people don't realize just how small NCL is when comparing to the other lines.  Just in case anyone is interested, this is a chart of market share from 2018. 

image.png.54857cbfbc0df0cacde5d9d3106b019d.png

Star is headed to Miami with no upcoming revenue cruises, so maybe there is a plan for her.  Sun has been in Panama all winter but maybe was never crewed for sailings.

I also question if anyone else having idle ships in the Caribbean was as much forethought as serendipity because they were unable to get them back to cruising.

• Like 2

Asking out of curiosity, not to debate whether to test or not to test:

is NCL doing testing on board of passengers or are people lining up to get tested "just to see" and end up in quarantine? If you have to test at the port, how are people getting tested positive on board? Or are people suddenly fall ill enough to warrant a visit to the onboard medical facility? I'm just wondering how everyone who tested negative at the port are suddenly testing positive on board.  

9 minutes ago, LisaDee said:

I’m soooo sorry this happened to you and your fellow cruisers.  I heard this morning from one of the YouTube cruise vloggers that the Getaway cancellation was due to the ports being closed, not due to crew illness/quarantine which is what the Pearl is attributed to.  Take it with a grain of salt, not sure who their sources are.

I'm not buying it. The Getaway had 4 ports on this itinerary leaving January 5th and two of the four are still accepting cruise ships.

Plus, all the other lines are still sailing and they have been equally effected by port closures. 

Edited to say, I didn't mean to sound snarky toward you LiseDee. I have no doubt this is one of the rumors. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, GoldenGirl327 said:

Asking out of curiosity, not to debate whether to test or not to test:

is NCL doing testing on board of passengers or are people lining up to get tested "just to see" and end up in quarantine? If you have to test at the port, how are people getting tested positive on board? Or are people suddenly fall ill enough to warrant a visit to the onboard medical facility? I'm just wondering how everyone who tested negative at the port are suddenly testing positive on board.  

Wife wasn’t feeling well, and we didn’t want to risk getting anyone else sick. So we called medical and reported the symptoms. This was on day 5 of the cruise 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, chuckhendo2 said:

Wife wasn’t feeling well, and we didn’t want to risk getting anyone else sick. So we called medical and reported the symptoms. This was on day 5 of the cruise 

so sorry to hear about your wife...hope she is feeling better and you are well. Thanks for responding.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Edited to say, I didn't mean to sound snarky toward you LiseDee. I have no doubt this is one of the rumors. 

All good, no snark assumed 😁.  We’ll probably never know the real reason(s), I’m sure they keep the truth to a small inner circle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chuckhendo2 said:

People are still waiting to leave the ship as well. They are either in no hurry to get people off or there are a huge number of positive cases

The Miami port cam has a great close up of the Pearl right now. Looks like no movement happening.

image.png.2a06a0144d9f1fcad4ae3ab99b44be0e.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chuckhendo2 said:

People are still waiting to leave the ship as well. They are either in no hurry to get people off or there are a huge number of positive cases

Is the Getaway docked close to the Pearl?   Which ship is at the new NCL terminal ?

I wonder what they are doing with each ship's  crew

3 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Is the Getaway docked close to the Pearl?   Which ship is at the new NCL terminal ?

That is the Getaway directly in front of the Pearl

image.png.0f544dcb567b8e3e8a214e71e15c9663.png

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

On Getaway, a number of crew are in quarantine presently.  Have no idea whether they will move those crew members to another ship or ships.

The rest of the crew will be busy with deep cleaning and other tasks, just as they did for months prior to start-up.

30 minutes ago, gingersvp said:

@GoldenGirl327 literally just posted that they were on the prior sailing and there was a large covid outbreak

I know they were just on the sailing. My question wasn't directed to them. It was a general question as to how the outbreaks start. What prompts people to get tested on board? I have friends that get tested everyday "just because" so I'm wondering if that's the same idea.