New pre-cruise protocols-booster requirement and testing changes

broker1217

Email from Viking tonight:

Dear Viking Guest,

I hope this note finds you well and looking forward to your upcoming travels. As our Chairman, Torstein Hagen, has shared, the health and safety of our guests, our crew and the communities we visit are at the center of every decision we make at Viking. In the 25-year history of our company, that commitment has never wavered. In light of recent developments, I need to share some updates to the Viking Health & Safety Program for voyages departing in January and February.

Viking's protocols were designed through a public health lens to detect early cases of COVID-19 so that they can be isolated, and a potential chain of transmission can be prevented. These protocols include a vaccine requirement and frequent non-invasive saliva PCR testing for all guests and crew—as well as many other enhancements on board and ashore. The measures outlined in the Viking Health & Safety Program provide more protection for our guests, crew and the communities we visit and are the most stringent COVID-19 procedures in the travel industry. Since restarting operations in May 2021, Viking has conducted more than two million PCR tests for 100,400 guests and crew on our voyages. Our experience shows that these protocols work.

As the world continues to adapt to this evolving pandemic, we recognize that travel is presently challenging. We will continue to evaluate our protocols and proactively make adjustments as necessary.

Rest assured, we plan to operate all upcoming scheduled itineraries, including yours. For voyages in the immediate future, please be aware of the following changes:

• COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Requirement (if eligible)

Effective for departures beginning February 1, 2022 and until further notice

This policy update is aligned with current CDC guidelines and means that to sail with Viking, guests will need to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, and if eligible for a booster dose, must have received their booster at least 14 days prior to travel.

• Pre-Cruise COVID-19 Testing
Effective for January 15, 2022 and until further notice

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking has decided to require that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

• Embarkation COVID-19 Testing Protocol: As part of our regular embarkation process, guests are required to take a PCR test in the privacy and comfort of their stateroom. This non-invasive PCR test is conducted via simple saliva sample in a plastic tube and processed on board, in the ship's laboratory. For upcoming sailings, all guests will remain in their staterooms for a few hours, until negative test results are confirmed.

While you are in your stateroom, you will have access to the full room service menu and have time to unpack and relax. You will be notified once negative test results are confirmed and will then be able to explore the ship and enjoy all its amenities. We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

• Pause of Independent Exploration: To minimize potential virus exposure to you, your fellow travelers, our crew and the communities we visit—and in partnership with the port authorities in the destinations we visit—all exploration ashore will be with Viking-offered shore excursions for departures in January and February. We will offer an expanded range of curated shore excursions, including sightseeing, special interest and active tours, hosted by experienced guides. (At this time, we expect that independent exploration will resume in March 2022.)

We believe there are few places one can go that are as safe as a Viking ship, where every person is fully vaccinated and is tested up to daily. Viking's protocols meet or exceed CDC requirements and continue to set us apart from all other cruise lines as well as other hospitality companies and recreational venues.

On behalf of the entire Viking family, we look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Vice_Admiral_Raquel_C_Bono_signature.png

Vice Admiral Raquel C. Bono, M.D.
Viking Chief Health Officer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

We received this too and have a big decision to make given these changes.  We are boostered, that's not an issue but now I need to find a PCR test in San Juan (we're doing a couple days pre-cruise on our own) and, probably the biggest concern for me is being in the Viking bubble and not doing any independent touring.  The Viking excursions aren't the best, and the ones that most interest me seem to be sold out.   I'll watch to see if they add more spaces to the excursions but signs are pointing to cancelling and ending up with another FCC.

• Like 1

Do you have to stay in your room until everyone has boarded and their tests are clear, or are you “released” when your own tests are clear?  Could be a lot longer than four hours if the former. 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Do you have to stay in your room until everyone has boarded and their tests are clear, or are you “released” when your own tests are clear?  Could be a lot longer than four hours if the former. 

I called the VA and they said that as soon as you get the message YOU have a negative you can leave your room.  Again I think that Viking is trying to do the best they can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LisaDee said:

We received this too and have a big decision to make given these changes.  We are boostered, that's not an issue but now I need to find a PCR test in San Juan (we're doing a couple days pre-cruise on our own) and, probably the biggest concern for me is being in the Viking bubble and not doing any independent touring.  The Viking excursions aren't the best, and the ones that most interest me seem to be sold out.   I'll watch to see if they add more spaces to the excursions but signs are pointing to cancelling and ending up with another FCC.

The letter that we got is different than the letter that was posted here... Nothing about stopping independent exploration....?  Interesting

Dear Viking Guest,

I hope this note finds you well and looking forward to your upcoming travels. As our Chairman, Torstein Hagen, has shared, the health and safety of our guests, our crew and the communities we visit are at the center of every decision we make at Viking. In the 25-year history of our company, that commitment has never wavered. In light of recent developments, I need to share some updates to the Viking Health & Safety Program for voyages departing in January and February.

Viking's protocols were designed through a public health lens to detect early cases of COVID-19 so that they can be isolated, and a potential chain of transmission can be prevented. These protocols include a vaccine requirement and frequent non-invasive saliva PCR testing for all guests and crew—as well as many other enhancements on board and ashore. The measures outlined in the Viking Health & Safety Program provide more protection for our guests, crew and the communities we visit and are the most stringent COVID-19 procedures in the travel industry. Since restarting operations in May 2021, Viking has conducted more than two million PCR tests for 100,400 guests and crew on our voyages. Our experience shows that these protocols work.

As the world continues to adapt to this evolving pandemic, we recognize that travel is presently challenging. We will continue to evaluate our protocols and proactively make adjustments as necessary.

Rest assured, we plan to operate all upcoming scheduled itineraries, including yours. For voyages in the immediate future, please be aware of the following changes:

This policy update is aligned with current CDC guidelines and means that to sail with Viking, guests will need to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination, and if eligible for a booster dose, must have received their booster at least 14 days prior to travel.

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking has decided torequire that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

• Embarkation COVID-19 Testing Protocol: As part of our regular embarkation process, guests are required to take a PCR test in the privacy and comfort of their stateroom. This non-invasive PCR test is conducted via simple saliva sample in a plastic tube and processed on board, in the ship's laboratory. For upcoming sailings, all guests will remain in their staterooms for a few hours, until negative test results are confirmed.

While you are in your stateroom, you will have access to the full room service menu and have time to unpack and relax. You will be notified once negative test results are confirmed and will then be able to explore the ship and enjoy all its amenities. We thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.

We believe there are few places one can go that are as safe as a Viking ship, where every person is fully vaccinated and is tested up to daily. Viking's protocols meet or exceed CDC requirements and continue to set us apart from all other cruise lines as well as other hospitality companies and recreational venues.

On behalf of the entire Viking family, we look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

17 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

The letter that we got is different than the letter that was posted here... Nothing about stopping independent exploration....?  Interesting

What itinerary are you on?  Ours is West Indies Explorer.

18 minutes ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Dear Viking Guest,

Viking is committed to doing all we can to ensure you are healthy and well prepared for international travel—and that you will be able to arrive in your destination and embark your ship safely. Viking has decided torequire that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 48 hours prior to boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.

Sincerely,

Is your sailing beginning March 2022 or after?

1 minute ago, TayanaLorna said:

Is your sailing beginning March 2022 or after?

We were told yesterday when I contacted the Viking TA ( yes I know every day is a new day) that when we land in Chile we will get tested at the airport and then we are quarantine in our room until we get test results then we are able  to walk around Santiago on our own.  Things change every day but the letter we got does not talk about all exploration ashore will be with Viking-offered shore excursions for departures in January and February.

This latest missive seems created by a team of lawyers, not a human at Viking.  Imho, Viking are heading in the wrong direction by making things more restrictive and more complicated.  All this for a virus that is nearly unstoppable as to transmission but has little to no effect on vaxxed persons.  The willingness to panic is what bothers me the most...

• Like 13

21 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

This latest missive seems created by a team of lawyers, not a human at Viking.  Imho, Viking are heading in the wrong direction by making things more restrictive and more complicated.  All this for a virus that is nearly unstoppable as to transmission but has little to no effect on vaxxed persons.  The willingness to panic is what bothers me the most...

No doubt lawyer looked at and signed off on this letter... but in todays world it has to be done.  The Viking TA are very nice when you call them but they are as confused as we are.  I think this is some thing we are going to have to put up with until we hit the point that we understand the  virus is some thing we are going to have to live with. IMHO it will not go away.

If you don't want to follow the rules and are afraid of the virus then stay at home.  But my guess is most if not all of the rules will be here next year at this time.... and the virus will be also.  

I posted the story about when my wife and I  made reservations for Antartica.  My wife had always wanted to go so we made reservations for 2022 in 2019.  6 months later my wife died of an aneurysm.  I'm 70 years old now and if my daughter and I can go on this trip we will go.  At my age I may not be around in another year or 2... who knows.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Well---I respect your opinion but I think what Viking is doing is adapting to a changing reality (omicron).

Pivoting, if you will.

They know that if they reach a certain % of positive cases and close contacts---they can't get in to some ports or folks can't disembark. Which makes everyone unhappy and threatens cancellations.

I think mandating booster shots is long overdue---anyone who is not boosted should, frankly, not be doing any traveling until we get through omicron.

Changing the testing to 48 hours instead of 72 hours, that is going to cause logistical problems for lots of people. I don't know the reasoning from a medical standpoint on that. 

Staying in your cabin until you get a negative result--makes sense to me. Get those folks off the ship before they expose more people. That is containment.

The excursion bubble---again, just a reaction to omicron and may be location/cruise specific. 

The ship can only handle so many positive cases so Viking is doing whatever they can to keep the numbers low so they can continue sailing.

I view this as a temporary tightening of restrictions. Things could be much different in another month or two if Omicron blazes out as some predict.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Well---I respect your opinion but I think what Viking is doing is adapting to a changing reality (omicron).

Pivoting, if you will.

They know that if they reach a certain % of positive cases and close contacts---they can't get in to some ports or folks can't disembark. Which makes everyone unhappy and threatens cancellations.

I think mandating booster shots is long overdue---anyone who is not boosted should, frankly, not be doing any traveling until we get through omicron.

Changing the testing to 48 hours instead of 72 hours, that is going to cause logistical problems for lots of people. I don't know the reasoning from a medical standpoint on that. 

Staying in your cabin until you get a negative result--makes sense to me. Get those folks off the ship before they expose more people. That is containment.

The excursion bubble---again, just a reaction to omicron and may be location/cruise specific. 

The ship can only handle so many positive cases so Viking is doing whatever they can to keep the numbers low so they can continue sailing.

I view this as a temporary tightening of restrictions. Things could be much different in another month or two if Omicron blazes out as some predict.

Last year at this time Viking was canceling cruises... This year testing and following the rules.  Progress I think

• Like 8

Why CDC unless in US water? Surely Norway relevant as flag country, and whichever countries ship is visiting? 

Nothing against the CDC, just struggling to see what they have to do with, eg. me as a UK national, on a Norwegian flagged and owned ship in UK, Dutch and Norwegian waters? 

Presumably the ship is insured via Lloyds? 

• Like 2

Glad Viking is changing their protocol to meet the current change in COVID.

I have taken two cruises on Viking since July 2021 and always felt very safe. Also had a fantastic time on both cruises in spite of this new normal in cruising 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

We are doing a Pre (viking) extension to Chile and then to Argentina and Antartica.  

Could the different letter be due to sailing on an Expedition ship, where the shore-ex are all included.

27 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Why CDC unless in US water? Surely Norway relevant as flag country, and whichever countries ship is visiting? 

Nothing against the CDC, just struggling to see what they have to do with, eg. me as a UK national, on a Norwegian flagged and owned ship in UK, Dutch and Norwegian waters? 

Presumably the ship is insured via Lloyds? 

Want to add I have no problem with the fleet wide standard covid precautions and procedures Viking have, they seem fairly reasonable to me given the differing requirements of the countries the ships visit

Edited by KBs mum

22 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Want to add I have no problem with the fleet wide standard covid precautions and procedures Viking have, they seem fairly reasonable to me given the differing requirements of the countries the ships visit

I guess that keeps me off the ships, I had 2 Moderna shots and now developed a heart issue, that my Dr says MIGHT be a side effect from the vaccine…….  So I am very reluctant to take a third shot and test that theory.   Hopefully this all calms down and we get back to some normality.

• Like 3

Have had all 3 Pfizer shots and still came down with Covid this week. No guarantees about anything in this world. Except death and taxes of course 😉. Hope this means I won’t be catching Covid now during our Viking cruise in March. 

49 minutes ago, crimmj said:

Have had all 3 Pfizer shots and still came down with Covid this week. No guarantees about anything in this world. Except death and taxes of course 😉. Hope this means I won’t be catching Covid now during our Viking cruise in March. 

It's all in the statistics. The epidemiology data show that being vaccinated with two doses protects somewhat against getting infected but provides about 80% protection against serious disease requiring hospitalization and death, compared to unvaccinated individuals.  Getting the booster protects even more against getting infected and being hospitalized. 

• Like 2

Got the same email last night and to put it mildly, I am pissed.  I had scheduled PCR tests within 72 hours of departure and now they have changed to 48 hours.  I wonder if Viking realizes how difficult it is to get a PCR test in that timeframe, not to mention, nobody will guarantee that you have the results within the 48 hour timeframe.  It's not like they're PCR testing sites on every corner.  And with the current concern with Covid, lots of people are trying to get tested.  In addition, the way I read this email is that it is intended perhaps for people flying directly to the ship versus folks doing any of the pre-cruise packages.  For example we are leaving Tuesday, January 18, for Iguazu Falls, and won't be on the Octantis until Monday, January 24, more than 48 hours from when we left home.  Maybe I am reading too much into this change, but I am trying to reschedule the PCR tests.  I have been in contact with my travel agent regarding canceling, which we can do, receiving a voucher for a future cruise.  I know that Covid is not Viking's fault and that they are doing everything they can to protect their passengers and crew, but this change at this late date is very concerning.

8 minutes ago, rrgator said:

Got the same email last night and to put it mildly, I am pissed.  I had scheduled PCR tests within 72 hours of departure and now they have changed to 48 hours.  I wonder if Viking realizes how difficult it is to get a PCR test in that timeframe, not to mention, nobody will guarantee that you have the results within the 48 hour timeframe.  It's not like they're PCR testing sites on every corner.  And with the current concern with Covid, lots of people are trying to get tested.  In addition, the way I read this email is that it is intended perhaps for people flying directly to the ship versus folks doing any of the pre-cruise packages.  For example we are leaving Tuesday, January 18, for Iguazu Falls, and won't be on the Octantis until Monday, January 24, more than 48 hours from when we left home.  Maybe I am reading too much into this change, but I am trying to reschedule the PCR tests.  I have been in contact with my travel agent regarding canceling, which we can do, receiving a voucher for a future cruise.  I know that Covid is not Viking's fault and that they are doing everything they can to protect their passengers and crew, but this change at this late date is very concerning.

We have an extension to Chile on the Octantis cruise also.  My understanding from the Viking TA is when we land in Chile we have a test at the airport and quarantine in our room until we get test results. After the test we are free to go into the town.  Then we have a daily test at the hotel we are staying at.  We have a test before we leave to Argentina and get a test when we board the ship and will be in our room until results.  It looks like we will have a covid test every day until we leave for home.

The issue with us is the 48 hours PCR test will only work for us if we do the Rapid PCR.  Viking travel agent said it has to be the PCR.  Since we leave on a Monday we are trying to get tested on a Sunday.  I think Walgreen in our area does it.