Covid on all cruise ships

No surprise there.  What is really telling is the number of cases vs. the number of passengers and crew.  I saw a number last week that over 5,000 cases were reported on 91 cruise ships the two weeks prior.  Sounds horrible, but if you assume an average of 1000 passengers and 1000 crew that's 5000 cases out of 182,000 people.  That's about a 2% covid rate and all were minor symptoms or asymptomatic.  

AND since it was a 2 week number, there was turnover of most the passengers (likely crew members too) so the percent of infection is very small.  Compare that to an average day in any state in the U.S. 

• Like 5

I would be interested to see a cumulative number of Noro from say three years ago and compare it to Omicron cases. 

Not saying Noro is worse, of course it isn’t but with almost all ships insisting on vaccination for passengers and crew Omicron is in all but a very small number of cases mild or asymptomatic. 

I think the cruise lines as a whole are doing a sterling job of trying to make cruising as safe as it can be, the chink in the armour is of course the passengers and their actions. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I would be interested to see a cumulative number of Noro from say three years ago and compare it to Omicron cases. 

Not saying Noro is worse, of course it isn’t but with almost all ships insisting on vaccination for passengers and crew Omicron is in all but a very small number of cases mild or asymptomatic. 

I think the cruise lines as a whole are doing a sterling job of trying to make cruising as safe as it can be, the chink in the armour is of course the passengers and their actions. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/ss/ss7006a1.htm

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

Those graphs are quite interesting, thank you. the bigger the ship, the shorter the duration, the more risky. Also when there was a new variant of the Noro it caused quite the upswing. 

Prior to the restart one would have hoped everyone who would be a passenger would have learned to hand wash etc correctly, but I do think we still have a ways to go. 

Covid will become endemic like noro and we will learn to deal. We are very nearly there. hold tight everyone!

• Like 5

Just a side note the CDC Cruise Ship Color Status appears  to go Green(lowest) =>Orange=>Yellow=> Red (highest)  Is Orange lower than Yellow?  Shouldn't it be the other way around with Orange higher than Yellow or is the CDC chart incorrect?

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

I'm very out of touch with the younger generation and thought maybe they changed the color chart so I looked it up and its still Green =>Yellow => Orange => Red.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Just a side note the CDC Cruise Ship Color Status appears  to go Green(lowest) =>Orange=>Yellow=> Red (highest)  Is Orange lower than Yellow?  Shouldn't it be the other way around with Orange higher than Yellow or is the CDC chart incorrect?

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

I'm very out of touch with the younger generation and thought maybe they changed the color chart so I looked it up and its still Green =>Yellow => Orange => Red.

It should be yes, but the person at the CDC who made the chart is an idiot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I saw a number last week that over 5,000 cases were reported on 91 cruise ships the two weeks prior.

The problem is that these are reported numbers, and (IMHO) most of the cruise lines have been trying to avoid getting an accurate number by only testing people onboard who are sick and their close contacts.  Too many reports of people testing positive when they return home, including friends of ours, so it blurs the line of where did the person get infected.  

The closest is Mariner testing everyone on Tuesday before they disembarked on Wednesday - would love to see those numbers, but doubt RSSC will be that transparent.  Until that sort of data is published no one can know what the current level of infection onboard is.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2022 at 12:30 PM, johng75370 said:

The problem is that these are reported numbers, and (IMHO) most of the cruise lines have been trying to avoid getting an accurate number by only testing people onboard who are sick and their close contacts.  Too many reports of people testing positive when they return home, including friends of ours, so it blurs the line of where did the person get infected.  

The closest is Mariner testing everyone on Tuesday before they disembarked on Wednesday - would love to see those numbers, but doubt RSSC will be that transparent.  Until that sort of data is published no one can know what the current level of infection onboard is.  

At some point people need to stop finding conspiracies behind every bush.  The CDC requires these numbers be reported.  There is no reason to assume a vaccinated person with zero symptoms still has covid.  Do you test yourself daily?  How do YOU know YOU don't have it?   No business, restaurant, hotel, etc. tests asymptomatic, vaccinated people unless there I some exposure potential.  Why should the cruise lines?

We got off Celebrity Reflection on Jan. 2.  We had some tests at home that we had for boarding (bought 4 used 2).  So we waited until Thurs. (4 days after getting off the ship) and tested negative.  Again... people need to stop doubting everyone and accept that the numbers are the numbers.  

Can you imagine mandatory testing of 1700 vaccinated people, none of whom show ANY symptoms, trying to line up for tests as they leave the ship?   How would THAT be received by passengers? 

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

On our 24-day November/December Explorer cruise in the Caribbean everyone (approx 400 pax plus crew) was tested before we got to Barbados. Zero positives. 

Omicron is a very different beast in terms of transmissibility to Delta, which would have been the prevalent strain when you cruised. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

I am aware of the differences Omicron presents. My point was they tested everybody. No one was hiding anything.

Things are very different now - I know it has only been a month but the cruising environment is completely different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Things are very different now - I know it has only been a month but the cruising environment is completely different.

We were on Splendor….December 8th. You are so right. We had a great time but sadly canceled our January and February 2022 cruises…. Today, We know we did the right thing. 
sheila

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pcardad said:

33 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We were on Splendor….December 8th. You are so right. We had a great time but sadly canceled our January and February 2022 cruises…. Today, We know we did the right thing. 
sheila

Yes, from the various reports it does appear that things may get worse before any improvement.

We are so glad we went ahead with our Splendor & Mariner cruises when we did. At one point last year we toyed with swapping our Mariner Panama Canal transit for the similar, but later, itinerary on Explorer. We are happy that we stayed with the Mariner cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed, despite the reduction in port stops.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

I am aware of the differences Omicron presents. My point was they tested everybody. No one was hiding anything.

and my point is that the landscape you cruised in is very different to the one people are cruising in now 🙂

16 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

sheila

Sheila - We are on "the same page" with you!  We're giving lots of thought to cancelling our upcoming August Navigator cruise, as well.  No, we're not "blaming" Regent (for the most part)....but any "fault or shortcomings" (if there are any to be had - quite likely) in the overall experience shouldn't fall on us, the paying customer, either!

• Like 1

Fingers crossed that Omicron runs its course quickly....and that a new strain doesn't pop up to replace it!  Ah well.  Lessons from previous pandemics seems to point to a four year duration, but I'm all for getting it over with ASAP!

We have a March cruise on Celebrity, which I fully intend to make if conditions allow!

Be safe everyone and I hope to see you all on the water soon!

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

They speak with the positive cases. If they decide the need exists, they test close contacts. Other than that, nothing. I was on the close contact list and they did not test me.

Thanks. 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:45 AM, Pcardad said:

It should be yes, but the person at the CDC who made the chart is an idiot.

I'm beginning to think EVERY person at the CDC is an idiot.  Between handling of covid and the dog rabies ban they look like the keystone cops.

• Like 2