Specialty Coffee vs. Premium Coffee and Juice vs. Premium Juice

LB_NJ

What is the difference between Specialty Coffee and Premium Coffee and between Juice vs. Premium Juice?

Celebrity is starting to annoy me with the various differences in the drink packages Classic vs. Premium.  We are not big drinkers so I am OK with one being top shelf liquors and wines and one not.  I'll pay the difference on those few occasions where I really care. 

However, to nickel and dime on coffee and juice is just too much.  The way Oceania does things is much better.  If it is non-alcoholic it is included in the basic Oceania fare and they only charge for alcohol.  They also allow you to bring much more of your own wine on-board.

I’ve not figured out the difference either but I have never really looked closely at the Cafe al Bacio menu.  I can tell you that most coffees & teas ( espresso, lattes, cappuccino etc) from Cafe al Bacio are covered by the Classic package.  There may be a few that include premium liquors that are not covered by the Classic package.  

As for juice the Classic package covers the “fresh “ juices ( not those from tge dispenser in the buffet) such as orange & . grapefruit.  

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I’ve not figured out the difference either but I have never really looked closely at the Cafe al Bacio menu.  I can tell you that most coffees & teas ( espresso, lattes, cappuccino etc) from Cafe al Bacio are covered by the Classic package.  There may be a few that include premium liquors that are not covered by the Classic package.  

As for juice the Classic package covers the “fresh “ juices ( not those from tge dispenser in the buffet) such as orange & . grapefruit.  

Thank you.  the information on the web site is as clear as mud.

The alcoholic coffees are covered under the classic up to 9.00.  Those that are 10.00 or 12.00 are only covered under the Premium.  The coffees and teas that are 4 or 5 are covered under classic.  There are two items for 6 & 8 under other favorites that are only covered under the premium.  Affagato (vanilla gelato with espresso) was no longer on the Apex menu.  

14 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The alcoholic coffees are covered under the classic up to 9.00.  Those that are 10.00 or 12.00 are only covered under the Premium.  The coffees and teas that are 4 or 5 are covered under classic.  There are two items for 6 & 8 under other favorites that are only covered under the premium.  Affagato (vanilla gelato with espresso) was no longer on the Apex menu.  

Glad to see that you made it on your cruise(s), hope you are having a great time!!

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Glad to see that you made it on your cruise(s), hope you are having a great time!!

We are.  We feel lucky compared to all of the cruisers that got inconvenienced by the last minute cancellations on RCI.  

• Like 1

Here are the coffees which exceed the $ 9 classic limit —

aspen coffee

french kiss

venetian

macallan reviver

speyside latte

mint chocolate martini

highlander cappuccino 

tia Cappuccino 

Iced popcorn frappe

All are espresso-based with liquor added to them

C0770E09-FC86-46C7-9AA9-970B2C9521CA.jpeg

8EFD45BF-09E2-4FB0-92E5-348F4080CE2B.jpeg

• Like 1

Premium coffee is the good stuff that is fresh brewed by the cup out of grounds far better than whatever they make the swill out of in most other venues (especially whatever that stuff is in the buffet area). 

Specialty coffee is where they take that good stuff and start adding things to it to jazz it up in some way ... e.g., the menu you see above that lists items like "Aspen Coffee", which is pretty nice for/with an after dinner dessert, BTW.

The classic package covers the former, and many, but not all, of the latter items. 

Thank you.  I wasn't really thinking about the desert coffees (the ones with alcohol). I like good coffee (not the buffet stuff) and a morning cappuccino. So, it seems like I am covered.

Out of curiosity, if my wife buys one of the specialty coffees (eg, Aspen) do I get any credit from the Classic and pay the difference or do I pay the full $10 (plus gratuity)? 

For the once or twice per cruise that we would do that it wouldn't stop us however would be nice to know beforehand what experience others have had.

11 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Out of curiosity, if my wife buys one of the specialty coffees (eg, Aspen) do I get any credit from the Classic and pay the difference or do I pay the full $10 (plus gratuity)? 

For the once or twice per cruise that we would do that it wouldn't stop us however would be nice to know beforehand what experience others have had.

You pay $1 plus 20 cents tip.

• Like 1